You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spurs Match 22 Oct

G Richards

If your the manager of a company and the people you manage constantly fuck up how long do you put up with it and cover for them before your bosses / directors start to question your ability? Its the same with Klopp his blind loyalty will see him lose his job if he's not careful the owners are only arsed in the comercial side of Liverpool f.c how much money can they make from us thats it, if we appear (in their eyes) to lose some standing in the comercial markets then they will pull the trigger as would any board / owners in any other industry Klopp needs to put himself ahead of Lovren, Mingolet and any other players who are not good enough they wont come to his side if he needs it hes given them more than a fair chance to improve they aint cut them loose now and move on till January then replace them and get rid.

I hear about the long run a lot, give managers time and rightly so. Klopp should be going nowhere soon but he must respond as this cannot go on. Shore us up firstly home and away, Ward,Milner, Matip, Gomez and Robertson, job? Fucking defend, do not push the fullbacks on.

Sit our two best midfielders in front of them, perm any 2 from Henderson, Can, Wijnaldum, Gruijic etc, none good enough but needs must, job? Shield the defence, get forward sporadically.

Coutinho in front of them or Lallana when fit.

Upfront Firmino, Salah and Mane, give Solanke games too, freshen up with Aoc, Sluggish etc etc.

That's us sorted, off to play Clash of Clans.

Leave it to us to make Spurs finally feel at home at Wembley. We have been poor every time we've played there,only winning once (against the Blueshite in the FA Cup semi, and they tried to sit on a 1-goal lead). We only got past Cardiff on penalties. Otherwise, it's all defeats (Man City beat us on penalties one year, but we weren't good in that game either). In every single one of our Wembley games, we've conceded through calamitous defending and decision-making.

Against Spurs though, fucking hell! Everything I hope we don't do, we managed to achieve in that first hour. Conceding from the very first chance Spurs had. Giving Harry Kane time and space. Individual howlers. Self-inflicted wounds. No potency in attack. Lack of concentration at key moments. Simply not reading the second ball after half-dealing with the first. Goalkeeping errors. Lack of communication. Players further forward disappearing from view. They were all there.

Klopp is not blameless by any means. Spurs have had problems breaking down teams who aren't open, so we decided to be more open than anybody. At times, it looked like a case of how many Spurs would get.

Lovren is getting shredded in the other thread, and with good reason. He was 100% at fault for the first two goals. He completely lost Kane and his bearings for the first, and he went to try and intercept a long throw-out from Lloris knowing he had no cover behind him. Hemissed the ball completely and we were horribly exposed. Subbing Lovren was an act of mercy. I'd have carted him off to Goodison and left him there as punishment.

We pulled a goal back through a scuffed effort from Salah following a great through-ball from Henderson. Salah normally fluffs his first chance in matches, and he nearly managed to fluff this one, only to find that it just about had the accuracy and the momentum to trickle in off the post.

Can's lack of concentration at the end of the first half led to him conceding a free kick, and it was the same sort of slackness that caused us to concede a goal in Moscow. He then switched off at the free kick (as did everyone bar Matip), to allow Alli to extend the lead. It pissed me off that Mignolet wasn't alert enough to call and claim the initial ball in so Matip wouldn't have to deal with it. It pissed me off that we were simply not alive to the second ball. I was apoplectic that we threw away an opportunity to regroup at half time only trailing by one goal. Maddening.

Mignolet hasn't fucked up in a while so he must have thought it was his turn because his powderpuff attempt to palm away a free kick from Eriksen in the second half led to Kane's second goal and an unassailable 4-1 lead. Firmino did his best to clear the initial shot (from Aurier or Sanchez, I can't remember) off the line, but we were hopelessly exposed once again. He must claim absolutely everything in training because our players simply didn't react to batten down the hatches.

Coutinho disappeared in the second half to such an extent that I was surprised it was his shot that brought about an excellent save from Lloris. Lloris hade another save from Salah and stopped a Milner cross-shot comfortably. We offered no threat otherwise. Firmino worked hard as usual, but our lack of attacking focal point meant we couldn't occupy the Spurs centre backs at all in dangerous positions. Any time we got the ball wide and played it into the box, it was very much hit-and-hope.

I'm starting to think that Klopp needs to approach away games with more flexibility and pragmatism because we are currently leaking like a sieve away from home. We've played Watford, Man City, Leicester, Newcastle and Spurs and have only won 1 of those games, conceding 15. Overall, we have won only 3 out of 9 in the league and have a negative goal difference, a quarter of the way into the season. Our much-vaunted attack has been largely wasteful this season and hasn't been able to bail out the porous back line.

The enforced substitution of Lovren gave us the perfect opportunity to change our approach and stem the Spurs tide. AOC coming on was the same call I'd have made, but I would have switched our shape to a 4-2-3-1, moving Gomez to centre back and putting Milner in at right back, with Henderson and Can tasked to sit in as a central pairing. Having Salah and AOC either side of Coutinho would give us the energy and width without compromising on solidity.

What is now concerning is that we are still not picking up enough points against the lesser sides, and are now getting hammered by the big dogs. It makes it look as though we've not addressed the first part and been found out a little with the other. Mane's absense is a factor, as is Lallana's, but they shouldn't be as big a factor as they have been. The whole "Mane is out so we won't win" is changing from coincidence to problem to head-fuck.

An excellent afternoon for North London but a barrel of shit for Merseyside.

• Upvote 4

They had won 1 in 4 at home in the league before today and never scored more than once in any of those games.

3 of the teams they faced in those 4 were Burnley, Swansea (who both got draws) and Bournemouth (who lost 1-0)

The other was Chelsea who beat Spurs

I think it is fair to say in context of that record our 4-1 defeat is a bad, bad result.

• Upvote 6

Guest Pistonbroke

We were caught early by Moreno deciding to give the opposition the freedom of our left flank, Lovren taking a leaf out of Moreno's book on not how to attack a header and Mingloet rushing to dive at the feet of Kane when not necessary. We struggle more when chasing a deficit, things were just made a whole lot worse soon after their first as once again they had the freedom of our left flank. I'd fucking shoot Lovren and Moreno, put them through a mincer and feed them to the pigs. 

Thought we actually did Ok after that and looked dangerous going forward, that goal by Salah was taken well and I was expecting us to go into H/T just the one goal behind. That third goal killed us off, daft challenge by Can to give away the free kick and then when Matip got his header in Can was fucking ball watching instead of picking up that wanker Alli. Game over from that point, Spurs managed the second half without too much worry, even when we got in and created chances Lloris kept us out. We never gave up which was a positive, not a lot else though. We had way more possession than Spurs in that game and created as many chances, pretty crap that we then go onto lose it 4-1. Just lacking a bit of quality or luck at important moments, and defenders who can actually defend. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra_(metaphor)

The Cassandra metaphor (variously labelled the Cassandra 'syndrome', 'complex', 'phenomenon', 'predicament', 'dilemma', or 'curse') occurs when valid warnings or concerns are dismissed or disbelieved.

The term originates in Greek mythology. Cassandra was a daughter of Priam, the King of Troy. Struck by her beauty, Apollo provided her with the gift of prophecy, but when Cassandra refused Apollo's romantic advances, he placed a curse ensuring that nobody would believe her warnings. Cassandra was left with the knowledge of future events, but could neither alter these events nor convince others of the validity of her predictions.

• Upvote 1

So can our manager stear his titanic around the iceberg ? His winrate is dropping faster then that red bull sky diver.

I don't think he will, but we knew all this at the end of the transfer window. Klopp is now going to take all the flack when he only deserves some of it. Years of under investment(compared to so called rivals) and allowing our best players to leave while buying inferior replacements(if any at all) were always going to lead to situations like our current one.

Pointless getting wound up by these type of results as this season was always going to go like this when we once again didn't improve on the defence and ended up with our joke of a back five.

We weren't going to suddenly improve our performances at the back with the players we have. We've had seasons to sort this out.

We simply have not got the squad to challenge, nor the ambition from those who make the decisions at the top.

For me, it's pointless expecting otherwise while the same old situation happens season after season.

Pointless getting wound up by these type of results as this season was always going to go like this when we once again didn't improve on the defence and ended up with our joke of a back five.

We weren't going to suddenly improve our performances at the back with the players we have. We've had seasons to sort this out.

We simply have not got the squad to challenge, nor the ambition from those who make the decisions at the top.

For me, it's pointless expecting otherwise while the same old situation happens season after season.

Madness is to keep doing the same things and expect better results.