You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is it safe to come out yet? - by John Brennan

tlw content

Doesn't like attack-minded manager - check

Wants supreme defensive organisation - check

Trophies a guarantee - check

Hmm, a talented yet slightly unsettled manager would be ideal.  One we could realistically prize away from an inferior club.  

*peruses current Premier League table*

rsz_table.jpg

Well Guardiola, Mourinho (fits the mold) and Conte (ideal) aren't coming here.  But hark, who's that in fourth place?

giphy.gif

• Upvote 4

one of the many reasons why modern football is so shit is this expectation  of instant gratification/ success.  Maybe if you're in a false economy world of a Chelsea, City or any Club Mourinho chooses to go to (proven 28 years old bought at top dollar, yet he's always gone by the end of the 3rd season having burnt out his squad).

But it took Shankly 3 years to build a Championship team, Paisley two with a better foundation, Kendall 4 years, Ferguson longer etc etc.  It took Klopp 3 full seasons to make Dortmund champions.

The point is not to judge Klopp against the £200m spent by City/ United but what he is building.  Granted, we may get frustrated at a lack of progress at times but if Klopp sees it as a 6 year project (his average tenure is 7 years) , then waiting a year for Van Dijk or Keita probably makes sense.

Pep, Mourinho, and Conte will be gone in two years and those Clubs will continue to lack identity and soul and will need to start again.  I would say we're similar to Spurs who are trying to build something legendary and sustainable.

• Upvote 4

Chelsea will continue to get results  - I think both sides of Manchester will come back to pack in terms of the elite of Europe. We are not in any position to make up ground on the elite in Europe - lets hope England gets 5 cl spots in the coming years.

Until then, Moreno will show his true worth at the weekend...

we'll be in the elite in Europe in 2 years when City, United and Chelsea are rebuilding (again).

BTW, we were unbeaten against them all last season with 4 goals conceded, and can see us take apart any top side in Europe who like to build from the back - wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of 04-05.

Why? That's not our decision!

I'm sorry but this makes your sound thick, or a troll, either way it's really not a good look.

IT'S NOT "OUR" DECISION TO GET RID OF THE MANAGER EITHER, but that doesn't stop people speculating about his future at the club, or some even suggesting he should leave. So it's perfectly reasonable that other poeple will ask about the alternatives.

Fucking hell it's like groundhog day round here.

Hang on, I'm certainly not hiding behind anyone.

I'm one of the first on here to come out so strongly against him.

He's done numerous good things and if anyone had read the five or six pieces I've written since August they would see I've said that.

But he's got numerous faults and they're costing us dearly.

Do I think that he can bring us trophies? No I don't. Will I call for him to be sacked in September? No of course I won't. Will I lay off him for the rest of the season? No I won't, if he deserves criticism.

I get that he has supporters. I'm just not one of them.

Tell me, what were you saying last season, when he took us to a Champs League place, with a team that you and all your negative cronies say was shit, finishing above UTD and Arsenal in the process. He had no right to finish 4th, but he did because he got his tactics right against the big sides. Did you start spitting your dummy out at the 1st sign of a crisis in the January? Bet you were right pissed we came out of it though, as you wouldn't have been able to say 'I told you so', that's what people like you crave. No wonder our fans are the laughing stock of the Football World. Our fans are so fickle and you are an example of the worst kind. At a time when Utd can spend 90m and 75m on players to improve what is already a talented squad, Man City and and their gazillion spend. A really talented Spurs side, Chelsea. The League is the most competitive it's ever been. Shall we just bring a new manager in every 2 years if they don't win anything? What is it that you actually expect of this season? Me? Another top 4 place, get out the group stage of the Champs League and a decent FA Cup run. The common opinion is that we're not actually that far away, who's that down to? I agree, he deserves a bit of criticism for the defence, but he also deserves some plaudits for how he has us playing and our qualities going forward. If Firmino would have scored that Pen v Sevilla, if Solanke' shot would have been 2 inches lower v Burnley or the ref had give a pen for the foul on Salah, drama queens like yourself wouldn't be writing bullshit and embarrassing yourself. You come across as a self entitled, fickle, knob. We have the best Manager we could ever hope to attract, a Manager that top players want to play for ( Keita, VVD) . Fans like you deserved Hodgson,

On the internet? On social medial?

You can't tar everyone with the same brush. For example, plenty of very good reds, who have limited or no internet presence, still go the match. They're not a laughing stock, in my opinion.

Yes, obviously there are some great Liverpool fans. But I wouldn't say the overall perception of the fanbase from the outside is very good. 

Yes, obviously there are some great Liverpool fans. But I wouldn't say the overall perception of the fanbase from the outside is very good.

To be fair, who cares?

Our match-going supporters have had to put up with shit from opposing fans, for years. "Sign on", "You're not famous anymore" and similar bollocks. Whoppers on social media sites are of little importance. It's all water off a duck's back.

• Upvote 1

"Another top 4 place, get out the group stage of the Champs League and a decent FA Cup run."

This is my point. Our expectations are at this level.

Sorry, but I'm not going to celebrate any of above. A decent FA Cup run. What does that consist in? A semi-final? And getting out of the group stages? That's the least we should expect: have you see the group.

And if you're going to compare our budget to United's and City's, do likewise for our opponents in Europe.

Anyway. Time will tell.

So I'm either on a wind-up.

A Blue.

A Manc.

A xenophobe.

A drama queen.

All five.

Instant gratification? 73 League games. Same defensive issues.

We will see where we are in May.

I did ask you last night but you didn't answer. Can you please give us a couple of names of managers he could be replaced with.

And for what it's worth, I don't think you're a blue.

"Another top 4 place, get out the group stage of the Champs League and a decent FA Cup run."

Sorry, but I'm not going to celebrate any of above. A decent FA Cup run. What does that consist in? A semi-final? And getting out of the group stages? That's the least we should expect: have you see the group.

I think that's a fair expectation, JB.

This is where we're at now after years of mismanagement.

Jesus wept.

Does anyone think that rather than talking about a new manager we should be talking about what Klopp can do to make us better?

That starts for me with a less gung-ho approach. Picking our best players: Not messing around with the keepers; Playing Robertson ahead of Moreno. Working harder on the training ground to improve us.

This is HIS team, essentially. He should get this season, at least. But he needs to start doing better.

And if you're going to compare our budget to United's and City's, do likewise for our opponents in Europe.

Anyway. Time will tell.

Why do you think our expectations are at that level? Klopp performed a mini miracle to get us 4th spot last year, our spend is fuck all compared the the 2 Mancs and Chelsea, we did well to compete with them last season and that was down to Klopp. I'll ask you again as you still haven't answered. What are/were your expectations of this season? Win the League? In view of the competition being at its most fierce and our resources, we could go another 10 years without winning anything, would do you want to change Manager every 2 years if that were so? As long as results don't go all Hogsonesque. What would that achieve? Klopp has us playing the right way, players want to play for him. Just remind yourself of the last 15 months of Rodgers and the squad Klopp was left with and how he bought the best out of them players he was left with. You have delusions of grandeur if you think we SHOULD be winning things. He's gradually improved the team, Mane last season (many were sceptical) Salah this season, Keita next season. Yeah, the squad (and defence!) needs more work and it could have been done quicker. But he will get us there.