You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watford (A) - 12:30pm, Sat 12/08/17 - The goals that ripped the Hornets' net.

Trumo

It is ridiculous to suggest we have a fraction of the knowledge Klopp has. Maybe Firmino is where he is because following tests he has the highest leap. Who knows?

Whatever it is not working. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Shite teams are setup exactly to exploit weakness such as ours. They do it week in week out. They are good at it.

Our results prove things need to change, its not luck.

This is what I don't get about Klopp.

He just does the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

He's the German version of Wenger.

Reading through the summing up of this match leaves me shaking my head.Everyone seems to have it weighed up.Jimmy is right that the referring was poor,but our defensive frailties are so bloody obvious.Carra is right as are all you boys, how the coaches can't see it is beyond me.But one thing is obvious to me,there is no leadership on the pitch at all.Above all we need a leader and captain, until that is sorted I can't see a way forward.

• Upvote 2

Maybe it worked in Germany. Percentage play.

The way he sets his teams up I love. If I was a CEO in Spain, France Germany or wherever i would pay him what he wants to come and be our love interest.

Not here. Pulis etc even Allardice know what winning here takes. They can do it nowhere else but here they have it nailed and it is being hard defensive and score when you can.

Being a top man against that is hard esp after a year or two. 

Hate to say it but Ferguson is the only one that conquered it in the modern game.

So we finished last season conceding over 40 goals and very weak at corners.

Opening game of the new season we have Moreno back in our starting 11 and have a shite Watford side hit 3 past us.

Klopp. Edwards. The Owners. It's just not acceptable. If Rodgers had come out with some of the comments Klopp has recently about being happy with what he has and you can't name 5 defenders better than what he has he'd have been slated.

Maybe it worked in Germany. Percentage play.

The way he sets his teams up I love. If I was a CEO in Spain, France Germany or wherever i would pay him what he wants to come and be our love interest.

Not here. Pulis etc even Allardice know what winning here takes. They can do it nowhere else but here they have it nailed and it is being hard defensive and score when you can.

Being a top man against that is hard esp after a year or two.

Hate to say it but Ferguson is the only one that conquered it in the modern game.

Well yeah, Ferguson sorted them out with so many "favours" over the years that Pulis and Allardyce made sure their teams rolled over for the mancs year in year out. Steve Bruce as well.

This squad of ours is making me yearn for 2000/01.

Well yeah, Ferguson sorted them out with so many "favours" over the years that Pulis and Allardyce made sure their teams rolled over for the mancs year in year out. Steve Bruce as well.

This squad of ours is making me yearn for 2000/01.

Come on man.

Alardice et al never rolled over in a game for him. He just softened it because he knew how to play them.

Not sure if you have ever met any football players but if you knew them and they were facing possible relegation and a 60% pay cut if they went down and there manager asked them to take it easy you would be shocked at the response.

Moreno is not good enough.

You could apply that to half of the players on the pitch today.

And when I mean not good enough, not good enough to be in the squad, let alone the fucking bench.

this. Yes he wasn't at fault for a goal conceded today big fucking whoop.

He's a proven liability and bringing him back in when all of last season we had a right footed midfield take his place last year doesn't cover up the ineptitude we've shown in the summer transfer window so far.

Haha. That's like somebody trying to explain to his thick mate whose round it is about seven pints into a session. Redknapp will definitely come back with the wrong drinks too.

I think Redknapp makes a valid point though. They've cut the clip out of where Matip doesn't want any of it.

I think Redknapp makes a valid point though. They've cut the clip out of where Matip doesn't want any of it.

He probably has a point if we get Van Dijk and he's given licence to effectively manage the rest of the defence during games, Carragher-style.

this. Yes he wasn't at fault for a goal conceded today big fucking whoop.

He's a proven liability and bringing him back in when all of last season we had a right footed midfield take his place last year doesn't cover up the ineptitude we've shown in the summer transfer window so far.

Speaking sense mate as usual,its just crazy and obvious that we need this sorting in the window and fuck all has happend.

I don't know where to start with this one a few weeks ago things looked so promising Keita and VVD in and we looked primed and ready.

Fast forward to today and it was just woeful the midfield 3 we put out against what I was hoping it's depressing (2 months off and I'd wiped how our results shape my weekend)

Also I know the last goal was offside but how badly was mig bullied in there you would want him to assert himself or someone to come in there and add a bit of muscle but it summed us up really

OK, I'll keep this brief.

Maybe our pre-season schedule should only include games against alehouse cunts who live for set-pieces, because we generally fair pretty well against sides that look to play football. We might be dealing with set pieces well in training but it's clear that our defensive training drills simply do not replicate the issues we'll face on most matchdays. We don't have players that would fit into alehouse teams, for one thing.

Watford had all the facets in their team that we usually come unstuck against. A big grock up front, a gangly midfield dipshit who'll get the only goal of his career thanks to our carelessness, set piece delivery that clears the first man pretty much every time, and full backs that have a long throw to get the ball into the mixer.

We created nothing for nearly half an hour, had no control in midfield and no cohesion in defence, but then we fashioned an equaliser with our first attack. Very well worked between Moreno, Can and Mane to create the opening which Mane buried.

Then we undid it all with some slack play all round. Can had no need to try and back heel the ball to Moreno since he was already well positioned to brush off the Watford player and carry the ball forward. It was the sort of needless elaboration that Can is prone to sometimes. Then from the resulting throw in, Moreno had gone narrow (as had Trent A-A on the other side) to help our defence retain their shape and plug any gaps in-field, but no-one was picking up their winger. To compound it, Wijnaldum let his man go. Without reading this thread I can guarantee the usual culprits rounding on Moreno but unless he goes through the back of his opponent, how is he supposed to win the ball there?

We needed more urgency in the second half and by and large, we got it. Watford didn't actually offer too much in the second half. Indeed, for all the shit about our defending from set pieces, we could have had 3 goals from corners today. Mane put a header just wide in the first half, Matip hit the bar in the second and Lovren forced a decent save from Gomes.

Firmino equalised from the spot after Gomes brough Salah down in the box, and then set up the Egyptian to put us in front. Nonchalant is the way to describe Firmino's control and chip into Salah's path. After that, Moreno and Salah forced fingertip saves from Gomes, and Wijnaldum scuffed one wide when well placed. That was very wasteful.

The Watford equaliser was offside I reckon. Britos was standing well beyond our back line when the ball was fired in his direction. Mignolet couldn't get around him to get to the ball without fouling him, and I feel Watford were very fortunate to get that one. Mind you, in the first half the officials missed another obvious offside when a cross was played to an offside Okaka in the middle. Mignolet came out and parried the cross before gathering at the second attempt. I think that's what had Klopp doing his nut on the touchline.

The other thing that annoyed Klopp is something that certainly annoyed me. Several times, Watford players went down injured right by the touchline and the referee never asked them to get off the pitch for treatment. Instead, he delayed play and added on a shitload of injury time in both halves. OK, Janmaat was actually injured and had to be subbed early on, but he could easily have been treated off the pitch. So what what if Watford are down a man - it's not like it was because one of our players had fouled him. Richarlison needed treatment for a bleeding head wound in the penalty area late on so I can make allowances for that one, but not for all the other ones like Kaboul that didn't need such a lengthy stoppage in play. All it did was allow Watford to get a breather and shuffle all their players behind the ball once more. Referees in this country are simply not alive to that shit.

I actually think Moreno had a good game today, as did Salah. He's a great outlet ball and such a threat in the final third with his pace and mobility, much like Mane. This combo can give opposition defences a real head ache this season. Salah could have had at least one more goal but for wayward finishing.

Klopp's changes late in the game did nothing but make us drop back, isolating Origi. Watford had to push men forward in search of an equaliser and we were forced to try and avoid conceding set pieces. We didn't manage it and paid the price.

I'm not sure that Van Dijk is the answer to our defensive frailties. He COULD make things better but it's the defensive system as a whole that needs recalibrating, not just one player.

This one was just for Anny, who likes his concise match reviews. The Donald Trump short-attention-span muthafucka!

• Upvote 8