You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Keane

Bjornebye

I can't empathise with the souness appreciation. I understand he was obviously some player, but was before my time. My first hand experience is when he turned us into mid table shite and sold a story to the rag. As a pundit he seems fairly hypocritical as well, saying things about Suarez bringing shame to the club for biting ivanovic when he broke some poor cunts jaw during a game once.

Without having access to the first hand nostalgia of his playing days, he can fuck off. Massive cunt.

• Downvote 1

I can't empathise with the souness appreciation. I understand he was obviously some player, but was before my time. My first hand experience is when he turned us into mid table shite and sold a story to the rag. As a pundit he seems fairly hypocritical as well, saying things about Suarez bringing shame to the club for biting ivanovic when he broke some poor cunts jaw during a game once.

Without having access to the first hand nostalgia of his playing days, he can fuck off. Massive cunt.

Picture it, in 30 years' time, some lad on an internet forum saying that they can't understand why the older fellas on the site big up that Luis Suarez.

Graeme Souness was a fantastic footballer, a natural leader and was always immense for Liverpool.

• Upvote 3

Picture it, in 30 years' time, some lad on an internet forum saying that they can't understand why the older fellas on the site big up that Luis Suarez.

Graeme Souness was a fantastic footballer, a natural leader and was always immense for Liverpool.

Overshadowed by the interview with the rag. Irrelevant of any apology, it was so soon after what had happened, it was unforgivable.

If he was either an average player for us, or the top player he was, but for another team, I doubt he would get the pass you're giving him mate.

Suarez biting someone doesn't make him a cunt. If he sold his inside story about his experience of it to Lucifer's bog roll, that would make him a cunt.

I get where you're coming from though.

"Controlling a game without the ball", "running a match", "dictating the pace of a game" it's all complete bollocks. They're phrases or something similar that every football fan including myself will have used at some point but in reality it's a load of shite. No one player does these things. Not even Pirlo or Alonso. They essentially tackle people better or pass the ball better than other players. If the player after them doesn't score a goal or gives the ball away it doesn't matter one bit what they do. It never has. It just became a way of explaining the importance of midfielders who don't necessarily do the eye catching things

It's right of course that these players can be important. If your midfielder is keeping the ball and picking the right pass more often than the other team then they've had a positive impact on the game. If a player season after season is going beyond that as Gerrard was. Winning games at both ends of the pitch I can't understand how someone can say they didn't control the game etc. It's pointless controlling the game in a passive way if your pass is going to Oyvind Leonhardsen instead of Ryan Giggs. Gerrard had to do more and did because he had it is in his locker. Other than bullying players into becoming more competitive and shouting at people Keane was technically not as important as Gerrard was to Liverpool. The reason he won so many trophies was because he played in a great team. The fact they won the champions league final without him says it all. Would Liverpool have won 2005 without Gerrard?

Gerrard was by far a better footballer and player than him. It's not even an argument. If people want to list trophies as to why they can do but their opinion isn't worth the paper it's written on. The best thing that shows how good he was is how many times he was in team of the year and his personal accolades. He did it right throughout his career.

I don't need to go back and watch 90 mins of a game he played years ago just as no other cunt who's telling me to do this will have either. I reckon I've watched about 80% of Utd's televised games in the last 20 odd years and I'll base my opinion on that.

Gerrard is a better footballer but your first paragraph is utter rubbish I'm sorry to say.

Replace "Graeme Souness" for "Roy Keane" and "Liverpool" for "Manchester United" and you've literally described Roy Keane, which is why it's weird not to rate him as a top player.

Keane was a leader for the mancs.  I am sure his leadership got them over the line many times.  He was a genuine force.

But in terms of footballing ability, Graeme Souness was in a different league.

So, leadership - yes, equals.

Immense for their respective clubs - yes, equals.

Footballing ability - leagues apart.

On just about every comparable statistical footballing measurement, Souness was superior - goals, wins to losses ratio (in two respective teams at their peak), honours etc etc.

But disregarding that nonsense and looking at the respective attributes of each player, Souness was a better passer, ball winner and goal scorer.  In fact, in just about every aspect of football skill.

Belarus, there is no doubt at all that Souness blotted his copy book massively, and unforgivably. I agree.

But without him Liverpool would not have been the European force they were.  He was a truly gifted footballer.  I know reds who still call him the best player to ever play for Liverpool.

His management was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever felt.  Putting the rag issue aside for a second, it's like Stevie taking over from Klopp and watching it all unravel.  It was horrible.

I went through a period of hating him.  People around me who I'd known for years were chanting "Souness out".  It was a truly horrible time to be on the Kop.

But where we differ is calling him a "massive cunt who can fuck off". 

I was sickened by his behaviour and his management.

I know he is a divisive figure, and I understand that.

But believe me, in the list of all-time great players who have ever taken to the field in a red shirt, Souness is up there near the top.  And for that reason, it just doesn't sit right referring to him in that way.

Sorry, but you don't know what he was, so you just haven't earned the right.

Liv+Roma+83+84++3%2529+%2528fhhhg1%2529.

Just look at this image.

That's Souness leading the team out against Roma, in the bubbling cauldron of their own stadium in the 1984 European Cup final.

The players behind him know they are going to win it.

I was a 13 year old kid.  I'd watched the build up, and been terrified.  I could only imagine what was going through the players' minds.  I thought we couldn't win it.

Then Souness led them onto the pitch, and I, like every player walking behind him, believed.

• Upvote 10

Keane was a leader for the mancs. I am sure his leadership got them over the line many times. He was a genuine force.

On just about every comparable statistical footballing measurement, Souness was superior - goals, wins to losses ratio (in two respective teams at their peak), honours etc etc.

But disregarding that nonsense and looking at the respective attributes of each player, Souness was a better passer, ball winner and goal scorer. In fact, in just about every aspect of football skill.

Belarus, there is no doubt at all that Souness blotted his copy book massively, and unforgivably. I agree.

But without him Liverpool would not have been the European force they were. He was a truly gifted footballer. I know reds who still call him the best player to ever play for Liverpool.

His management was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever felt. Putting the rag issue aside for a second, it's like Stevie taking over from Klopp and watching it all unravel. It was horrible.

I went through a period of hating him. People around me who I'd known for years were chanting "Souness out". It was a truly horrible time to be on the Kop.

But believe me, in the list of all-time great players who have ever taken to the field in a red shirt, Souness is up there near the top. And for that reason, it just doesn't sit right referring to him in that way.

Just look at this image.

That's Souness leading the team out against Roma, in the bubbling cauldron of their own stadium in the 1984 European Cup final.

I was a 13 year old kid. I'd watched the build up, and been terrified. I could only imagine what was going through the players' minds. I thought we couldn't win it.

Then Souness led them onto the pitch, and I, like every player walking behind him, believed.

Spot on that. Immense player.

• Upvote 1

Souness fucked up with that story in the rag. But his apologies and regret over that have been genuine. The idea that what he did was unforgivable is pretty pathetic and I feel sorry for the lives of people if they can find it in them to forgive something like what he did. They must be surrounded by people they can't forgive for all manner of things I'd that's how they live their lives. If people who lost family members at Hillsborough can forgive him, I'm sure others can too.

As for Souness the player. If he was playing today, there would be ongoing arguments on this and all other Liverpool forums about who was the better player between him and Gerrard. That's how good he was. For me, Souness was the better midfielder, but Gerrard was the better all round player. I always thought Gerrard was at his very best when Rafa had him playing further forward and not just sitting in midfield.

I always find it hard to separate our top three of Dalglish, Souness and Gerrrad.

• Upvote 3

Souness fucked up with that story in the rag. But his apologies and regret over that have been genuine. The idea that what he did was unforgivable is pretty pathetic and I feel sorry for the lives of people if they can find it in them to forgive something like what he did. They must be surrounded by people they can't forgive for all manner of things I'd that's how they live their lives. If people who lost family members at Hillsborough can forgive him, I'm sure others can too.

As for Souness the player. If he was playing today, there would be ongoing arguments on this and all other Liverpool forums about who was the better player between him and Gerrard. That's how good he was. For me, Souness was the better midfielder, but Gerrard was the better all round player. I always thought Gerrard was at his very best when Rafa had him playing further forward and not just sitting in midfield.

I always find it hard to separate our top three of Dalglish, Souness and Gerrrad.

Billy Liddell, by all accounts, is right up there as well. It's a shame that there isn't more footage of his playing career. As are John Barnes (1987-91) and Suarez.

Billy Liddell, by all accounts, is right up there as well. It's a shame that there isn't more footage of his playing career. As are John Barnes (1987-91) and Suarez.

The reports on Liddell are of amazing class. Given people referred to us as Liddellpool during his time playing certainly suggests something special.

Barnes sits just outside that top 3 for me. He's cemented in 4th. The most skillfull player I've ever seen play for the Reds.

Suarez never features in my list mainly because he wasn't here long enough, but also because he treated the club and fans with total disregard for two summers running. I can never understand the adoration of him by our fans. Wonderful player, but treated our club like shite. I was glad when he left.

And to whoever said it - Souness made some awful challenges in his time, but the idea he now can't comment on other players bad challenges because of it, is stupid in the extreme. I wonder would the same ire be directed towards Gerrard if he commented on a two footed challenge? Of course not, and nor should it.

Keane was a leader for the mancs.  I am sure his leadership got them over the line many times.  He was a genuine force.

But disregarding that nonsense and looking at the respective attributes of each player, Souness was a better passer, ball winner and goal scorer.  In fact, in just about every aspect of football skill.

But without him Liverpool would not have been the European force they were.  He was a truly gifted footballer.  I know reds who still call him the best player to ever play for Liverpool.

His management was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever felt.  Putting the rag issue aside for a second, it's like Stevie taking over from Klopp and watching it all unravel.  It was horrible.

I went through a period of hating him.  People around me who I'd known for years were chanting "Souness out".  It was a truly horrible time to be on the Kop.

But believe me, in the list of all-time great players who have ever taken to the field in a red shirt, Souness is up there near the top.  And for that reason, it just doesn't sit right referring to him in that way.

Just look at this image.

I was a 13 year old kid.  I'd watched the build up, and been terrified.  I could only imagine what was going through the players' minds.  I thought we couldn't win it.

Gave me goosebumps there reading that and seeing that image. Didn't they all sing a Chris Rea song in the tunnel? Souness is a horrible cunt. That said (And I didn't see him in the flesh I'm only 32) his contribution as a PLAYER to this club can't go unnoticed. My dad hates and loves him. I like his punditry for the most part. Cunt hun wanker. 

Great shout for Liddell.

Neither Barnesy nor Suarez did it for long enough to be in the Gerrard/ Souness category. Barnsey  has a shout for ambassadorial qualities- Suarez doesn't !

I would rate Souness higher than Gerrard and only just behind Dalglish. Gerrard's problem, if you can call it that, was that he was so versatile that he perhaps never quite found his true role in the side. 3 of his best seasons came when he played wide right, no10 and holding midfield respectively.

The reports on Liddell are of amazing class. Given people referred to us as Liddellpool during his time playing certainly suggests something special.

Barnes sits just outside that top 3 for me. He's cemented in 4th. The most skillfull player I've ever seen play for the Reds.

Suarez never features in my list mainly because he wasn't here long enough, but also because he treated the club and fans with total disregard for two summers running. I can never understand the adoration of him by our fans. Wonderful player, but treated our club like shite. I was glad when he left.

And to whoever said it - Souness made some awful challenges in his time, but the idea he now can't comment on other players bad challenges because of it, is stupid in the extreme. I wonder would the same ire be directed towards Gerrard if he commented on a two footed challenge? Of course not, and nor should it.

How did Suarez treat the club like shite? I'd say he was sadly let down by the club with the Evra incident and there was no way back as he was always going to move to Spain at some point. The Evra situation,if handled better, might have helped him stay slightly longer but we knew we weren't keeping him,it was just a pleasure that we had a chance to watch him at our club.

I don't believe he treated is badly,the biting incident happened for Uruguay,although I do believe it was part of an engineered process to force a move. With Rodgers in charge and Barca calling-Messi or Lambert as teammates? -I find it hard to believe he had much of a choice.

I would rate Souness higher than Gerrard and only just behind Dalglish. Gerrard's problem, if you can call it that, was that he was so versatile that he perhaps never quite found his true role in the side. 3 of his best seasons came when he played wide right, no10 and holding midfield respectively.

I respectfully disagree. I think that's what elevates him, as he was world class in many positions.

I've said this before but I still think Souness was a better CM than Steven but Steven was a better overall player than Souness

He was peerless on the right but, in my opinion, was at his best in the no 10 roie with Torres

That was just the Sex!

Great shout for Liddell.

Neither Barnesy nor Suarez did it for long enough to be in the Gerrard/ Souness category. Barnsey  has a shout for ambassadorial qualities- Suarez doesn't !

Not sure what you mean by this mate, Barnes was at the club a lot longer than Souness! An absolute Rolls Royce of a player who settled into an important and effective role in centre mid when his pace went. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...