You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Keane

Bjornebye

Keane was an incredible player. One of the best pound for pound players of his generation. He was the Manc's Souness and that is a very high compliment. He was a fine footballer like Souey,though you would swear both were alehouse rotweillers the way some go on. It's a bit like in 99' mancs were saying yorke and cole were better than kenny and rushy.

Taking tribalism aside,stevie was the better player. Not much in it though if i'm being honest.

A shame keane didn't come here in 93. We could have won about 4-5 titles if he was in our midfield back then.

Really?

Gerrard is probably the best midfielder to ever play in this country, it's not even close between him and Keane.

Really?

Gerrard is probably the best midfielder to ever play in this country, it's not even close between him and Keane.

I recall screaming at the telly when Sky pundits were debating whether Cole/Yorke were better than Rushy and Kenny.

I think it's so hard to say who the greatest midfielder has been in this country. For me, I'd say Souness or Stevie, but if I was a Manc I'd probably say Keane or Scholes, just like an Arsenal fan might say Vieira or Brady, while a Leeds fan might say Bremner or Giles. That's the tribalism of the game.

I think Keane is the most underrated midfielder in Premier League history.

His touch and passing was immaculate and he knew how to run a game. Tactically he was better than Stevie although he was obviously less spectacular. I think people think more of Keane's aggression and personality now and that has diluted people's memory of his actual style of play on the pitch. I went to every game of Ireland qualifying for 2002 World Cup and the string of performances he put in during those couple of years were the best I've ever seen from one player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Keane better than Gerrard? Viera? Fuckoff!!!!

Good players. Great even. But Gerrard...

Gerrard, without a fucking shadow of a doubt, was the most complete player of his generation. Not complete "attacker" or "midfielder". Player. You could put him in ANY side, past or present, and the Manager would find a place for him in it, in any position, and he'd have done better than 90% of anyone else in that position.

Gerrard could do it all. Finish, create, dictate, press, tackle... no player in our history could do all those things as well as he could. How many in the history of the game could? You could probably count them on one hand and have fingers to spare.

We don't realise how privileged we were to watch him play. His failings as a player were solely down to him carrying this club for so long. Any lesser man would have cracked ages ago.

For me, the greatest player I've seen play, bar none.

I wonder if posters are divided in their opinion of Keane by which country they come from by any chance....?

He was a thug and a leader.  Decent but limited footballer, but it was his influence on others that made a difference.

I am not Irish...

I wonder if posters are divided in their opinion of Keane by which country they come from by any chance....?

He was a thug and a leader. Decent but limited footballer, but it was his influence on others that made a difference.

I am not Irish...

I'm Irish, and have Gerrard ahead by a fair bit. Proof, indeed.

He was a thug and a leader. Decent but limited footballer, but it was his influence on others that made a difference.

I am not Irish...

Not sure that matters. I am English and think most English players are cunts.

Keane better than Gerrard? Viera? Fuckoff!!!!

Good players. Great even. But Gerrard...

Gerrard, without a fucking shadow of a doubt, was the most complete player of his generation. Not complete "attacker" or "midfielder". Player. You could put him in ANY side, past or present, and the Manager would find a place for him in it, in any position, and he'd have done better than 90% of anyone else in that position.

Gerrard could do it all. Finish, create, dictate, press, tackle... no player in our history could do all those things as well as he could. How many in the history of the game could? You could probably count them on one hand and have fingers to spare.

We don't realise how privileged we were to watch him play. His failings as a player were solely down to him carrying this club for so long. Any lesser man would have cracked ages ago.

For me, the greatest player I've seen play, bar none.

Objectively, that's what most people are saying. Gerrard could do more than Keane. That being said, Keane could control matches with and without the ball, whilst Gerrard was by and large more of a "moment of magic" type of player. Therefore, it's no surprise that some people put Keane up there or above Gerrard as a central midfielder because of how dominant a player Keane was in the middle. 

I am not Irish...

Keane was better than decent. I disagree that he was a limited footballer. He was like a far superior version of Steve McMahon.

I, too, am not Irish, though I do have Irish blood way back. Not that I've ever been arsed about it.

Objectively, that's what most people are saying. Gerrard could do more than Keane. That being said, Keane could control matches with and without the ball, whilst Gerrard was by and large more of a "moment of magic" type of player. Therefore, it's no surprise that some people put Keane up there or above Gerrard as a central midfielder because of how dominant a player Keane was in the middle.

Agreed they were very different players. I think Keane actually ran games in a way that Gerrard wasn't able to do. He dictated the pace of the game, filled space and orchestrated his teams play - watch back a full 90 minutes from his prime, he constantly demanded the ball off his defence and started things and his control and passing was flawless in that position.

In terms of shooting, long passing, crosses, speed and more Gerrard was superior and Keane couldn't have done what Stevie did in the 2 finals or provided the brilliance Gerrard did on so many other occasions but I think Keane was worth more trophies to them than any other individual player they had up to Ronaldo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

"Controlling a game without the ball", "running a match", "dictating the pace of a game" it's all complete bollocks. They're phrases or something similar that every football fan including myself will have used at some point but in reality it's a load of shite. No one player does these things. Not even Pirlo or Alonso. They essentially tackle people better or pass the ball better than other players. If the player after them doesn't score a goal or gives the ball away it doesn't matter one bit what they do. It never has. It just became a way of explaining the importance of midfielders who don't necessarily do the eye catching things

It's right of course that these players can be important. If your midfielder is keeping the ball and picking the right pass more often than the other team then they've had a positive impact on the game. If a player season after season is going beyond that as Gerrard was. Winning games at both ends of the pitch I can't understand how someone can say they didn't control the game etc. It's pointless controlling the game in a passive way if your pass is going to Oyvind Leonhardsen instead of Ryan Giggs. Gerrard had to do more and did because he had it is in his locker. Other than bullying players into becoming more competitive and shouting at people Keane was technically not as important as Gerrard was to Liverpool. The reason he won so many trophies was because he played in a great team. The fact they won the champions league final without him says it all. Would Liverpool have won 2005 without Gerrard?

Gerrard was by far a better footballer and player than him. It's not even an argument. If people want to list trophies as to why they can do but their opinion isn't worth the paper it's written on. The best thing that shows how good he was is how many times he was in team of the year and his personal accolades. He did it right throughout his career.

I don't need to go back and watch 90 mins of a game he played years ago just as no other cunt who's telling me to do this will have either. I reckon I've watched about 80% of Utd's televised games in the last 20 odd years and I'll base my opinion on that.