You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sadio Mane

Paco

6 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I think part of it was his change in role too, there's every chance he would have looked just as leggy as Mo if he was left out on the wing for the second half of the season.

I wonder if its something we could do with Mo, maybe not central but something a bit different so he can play himself back into form and develop some different patterns of play. 

Not sure what else we can do for Mo, especially if he doesn't sign a new contract and want to leave on a free next summer.

If he does go down that route I can easily see him not scoring much next season. He won't have the focus and we have seen already how wasteful he can be when he doesn't have the focus....

Just now, Carra_is_legend said:

Not sure what else we can do for Mo, especially if he doesn't sign a new contract and want to leave on a free next summer.

If he does go down that route I can easily see him not scoring much next season. He won't have the focus and we have seen already how wasteful he can be when he doesn't have the focus....

If anything he'll be more focused because he'll be playing for a move/contract. You see it a lot in the NFL where players in a contract year suddenly improve performance and get a better deal because of it.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

If anything he'll be more focused because he'll be playing for a move/contract. You see it a lot in the NFL where players in a contract year suddenly improve performance and get a better deal because of it.

We will see won't we. I hope you are right obviously. If he does want to leave on a free the least we need is a brilliant season out of him. Hopefully ending with the title and happy faces in Istanbul.

I used to be gutted when we lost a player, but with Klopp I'm excited whenever we roll the dice.  

Like many, I was burned by the Torres betrayal, or that's how it felt, so players to me are now mostly cattle.  Some exceptions to that, mainly based on character, not on ability.  

I don't mind getting Salah sold this summer either.  It's like he's changed too many facets of his game at once, but especially him wanting to put everything in the top corner.  That's not how he scored the majority of his goals for us, he used to barely make contact with the ball, almost scuff it, and it found the inside of the post.  For some reason now he's trying to knock the skin off it.  But more broadly, I want him sold because he's obviously batting his eyes at other clubs, and I understand it, that's fine, but I actually like him less for doing it, and I want Klopp to have money for driven young players. 

I actually want more young British players in the team, I think Klopp can unlock hidden potential in them, from years of poor conditioning at lazy clubs, he can undo that and build a team less likely to fawn over a move abroad one day.  McGinn, Bowen, Bellingham, Saka, Jacob Ramsey some obvious targets, but I'd also like to rejuvenate Rashford, or Harvey Barnes.  

I'm not nationalistic particularly, but I do like the idea of a core group of 12-15 players being at the club on a journey together for 5+ years and getting better each year.  I think that's easier to make happen with domestic signings.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I used to be gutted when we lost a player, but with Klopp I'm excited whenever we roll the dice.  

Like many, I was burned by the Torres betrayal, or that's how it felt, so players to me are now mostly cattle.  Some exceptions to that, mainly based on character, not on ability.  

I don't mind getting Salah sold this summer either.  It's like he's changed too many facets of his game at once, but especially him wanting to put everything in the top corner.  That's not how he scored the majority of his goals for us, he used to barely make contact with the ball, almost scuff it, and it found the inside of the post.  For some reason now he's trying to knock the skin off it.  But more broadly, I want him sold because he's obviously batting his eyes at other clubs, and I understand it, that's fine, but I actually like him less for doing it, and I want Klopp to have money for driven young players. 

I actually want more young British players in the team, I think Klopp can unlock hidden potential in them, from years of poor conditioning at lazy clubs, he can undo that and build a team less likely to fawn over a move abroad one day.  McGinn, Bowen, Bellingham, Saka, Jacob Ramsey some obvious targets, but I'd also like to rejuvenate Rashford, or Harvey Barnes.  

I'm not nationalistic particularly, but I do like the idea of a core group of 12-15 players being at the club on a journey together for 5+ years and getting better each year.  I think that's easier to make happen with domestic signings.  

I'm sorry,but even Klopp can't do much with most British players as they simply just aren't good enough at the moment. They lack the drive,the motivation,the hunger or whatever you call it and especially the game intelligence. I agree that their mentality could be changed but doing it with more than just a couple of British players is not worth it when the overseas lads are much better. 

Think people are massively underestimating how difficult Sadio will be to replace. He's absolutely brilliant. Scored 20 + goals for us in 4 of the 6 seasons with us, virtually never misses a game. Looks rejuvenated as a CF. We've taken him for granted because Mo has outdone his output at the same time. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

If Mane goes i trust Klopp and the recruitment team to get replacing him absolutely right....as long as they are giving the right ammo to do so.

I agree. There's no doubt mane will be hard to replace, but klopp has a fine history bringing in forwards here and at Dortmund (probably Mainz too but I know fuck all about that). We probably can't rely on replacing him for the buttons we'll get from munich. 

2 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

We will see won't we. I hope you are right obviously. If he does want to leave on a free the least we need is a brilliant season out of him. Hopefully ending with the title and happy faces in Istanbul.

It's a known thing in pro sports. They call them contract years. Bizarrely, or maybe not so bizarrely, athletes have their best seasons right before their contracts expire. 

I've no doubt Mo will be great next year regardless of his contract situation. He's a driven player, as driven as anyone we've ever had, got a limited number of years left and there's 4 trophies to win. I don't think we need to think too much more deeply than that. In fact the biggest worry for me is sometimes Mo can almost try too hard, when he's really chasing performances he almost seems to make himself worse. But a player of his ability being available on the free market, he'll have his choice of clubs to go to. All of the biggest & wealthiest clubs will be fighting for him. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Generally agree until you got to the Rashford bit 

8 hours ago, Dave D said:

Generally agree until you got to the Rashford bit 

I would have Rashford no problem . The ones to avoid are the likes of Delli Alli (spelling) and Grealish who just went through spectacular spells and Mount just don't see it. While we are on it and completely off topic , Elliot needs to show more next year if he is the talent some on here think he could be. 

11 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

I would have Rashford no problem . The ones to avoid are the likes of Delli Alli (spelling) and Grealish who just went through spectacular spells and Mount just don't see it. While we are on it and completely off topic , Elliot needs to show more next year if he is the talent some on here think he could be. 

While I'm not saying Elliott isn't a real talent,I've not been fully aboard his supporters bus just yet. Obviously though and under  Klopp,a lot of players have had to serve an acclimatisation programme. For a season or two in some cases,but for their own benefit in the long term. I think this is the plan for Elliott.

36 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Mount is an excellent player, if Chelsea need to sell I'd defo have him here. Maybe not world class but could be under Klopp's coaching.

I actually think maybe now is the time that we really 'twist' instead of sticking with Salah and Mane. They're getting of 'that age' where a new 400k contract just seems silly. If there's some players out there we might be interested in, like Darwin Nunez, NKunku, Touchingmyknee, and that little wizard player I forgot the name of... just go for it. Klopp will turn them into winners anyway. Get it done. 

1 hour ago, clockspeed said:

As a squad player having not sold Mane or Salah- perhaps.

43 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Just hope we go the “Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge” route rather than the “Borini, Balotelli, Lambert” road.

Houghton  as well . I can honestly say I walked around like that Bart Simpson Gif for a full two months before the season started . It was the best transfer window of all time . 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Houghton  as well . I can honestly say I walked around like that Bart Simpson Gif for a full two months before the season started . It was the best transfer window of all time . 

Being a big pedant, Ray only joined part way through the season. No transfer window at that point.