You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yesterday

Paul

Yesterday was my first visit to Anfield this season (thanks to a mate and his ST) and it was a good match to see. The result and the performance were both very encouraging, although it has to be said that Norwich were appalling. I don't watch any First Division football (in fact I don't watch any football bar Liverpool) so I don't know what they were like last season. However, if they are an accurate indication of the quality at the top of the second tier of English football, I think Everton's place in The Premiership is secure for years to come, no matter how poor (in both senses of the word) they are. Jerzy had, literally, nothing to do and the whole match was spent in their half of the pitch.

There were plenty of positives on view, which I'll come to, but one major and, for me, shocking aspect was the atmosphere: there wasn't one. The seat I sat in is one I've used several times before and is in Block 205 of The Kop surrounded by ST holders - all with local accents. Not one of them sang or chanted throughout the match - including YNWA as the teams came out, when most of them were having a chat or tucking into their Steak and Kidney pies. What I did hear from them was an instant and constant stream of comment slagging Cisse, a player who has yet to reach double figures in appearances for Liverpool. They were extremely grudging about his goal and didn't comment on (notice?) his superb ball to Garcia for his goal. I agree that he has yet to settle into the side or fully find his form, but surely anyone with half a brain can see that moving to a new club in a foreign country where they don't speak your language might be a little difficult? Yes, some players do it more easily than others, but that doesn't make it easy.

The one point I did hear made yesterday that had a ring of common sense about it was a reflection on how Peter Beardsley looked anything but a Liverpool player until scoring against (I think) Arsenal in the November of his first season, from which point onwards, he seemed to become the living embodiment of the qualities that define a great Red. In short, give him time. Cisse clearly needs to adjust to the pace of our game, work harder to close down defenders, play on the shoulder of the last man more often, learn to read the line and gamble more often in the six-yard box - particularly for rebounds. However, these are things that can be taught or acquired with experience; passing or finishing, as in the two moments mentioned above, cannot, at this level.

Another surprise for me, was the quality of Riise's performance. He looks like a different player this season - especially in attack where he was very aggressive and a constant threat. In fact the wide play in general was a notable feature of the first half, particularly, where I saw more crosses in 45 minutes than I did all last season. This was mostly down to Alonso's superb direction of play (but more about him later). Warnock seemed to be developing a good understanding with JAR, before being substituted, and their rapport and particular strengths make me wonder whether they'd be better playing the other way around with Warnock at left-back and Riise left midfield. Warnock's aggression, tough-tackling and mobility make him a perfect full-back, in my view; and Riise's constant threat going forward makes him our best current option at the club on the left of midfield. Oh well, that's one for Rafa - but I'd like to see it happen.

The real standouts from the match were Garcia and the aforementioned Alonso. Garcia, at home certainly, is an outstanding attacking presence and very intelligent in his movement, both on and off the ball. He also looks like our best option on the right of midfield, seeming to know exactly when to stay wide and when to come in. Norwich didn't have the faintest idea how to deal with him as he took miriad opportunities for himself, as well as laying on chance after chance for Baros and Cisse. It's been said that he's not strong enough yet for our league, but I didn't see much evidence of that. He is always looking for the ball, whatever the physical presence of the opponent near him, and he fights (in a lightweight sort of way) to win possession back.

I felt Garcia's effect on the match owed much to the man who dictated the pace and direction of play: the classy Alonso. He hit pass after pass after pass over a range of distances with complete accuracy and (Gerrard take note) perfect weight. Not once did he give the ball away, despite seeming to have it every third Liverpool touch. He ensured that the play went wide when the middle was congested, or laid on incisive passes through the centre when the opportunity arose. I have to fully endorse the views of everyone who has described him as an £11m bargain: he is class personified. If we can establish a midfield of Riise, Hamann, Alonso and Garcia by the time Gerrard is ready to return, we will become a real potent force with the substitution of his goal threat for Hamann's more sedate presence.

I also feel that Alonso is the key to drawing the best out of Cisse and, to a lesser extent, Baros; certainly he is the man to make them into a partnership if they can't do it themselves. He seems to make players move more effectively by the way he directs the ball, and eventually that will translate into the two forwards gaining an understanding of how to play together. Obviously that requires them to continue to be selected. I hope Rafa gives them the time they need, because their attributes should be complementary: the pace and (hopefully) goals of Cisse, and the persistence and running of Baros. I still firmly believe we need a more credible alternative to Pongolle to put pressure on them, but, injuries permitting, it's a good thing that they've got at least until January to establish their partnership. I'm very optimistic that with Rafa's coaching and Alonso's prompting, they'll get it right.

Finally, a special mention to Igor. I maintain that he is utterly shite, but I can't help but like the guy. On three occasions after coming on as sub, he tried a little trick to beat his man, fucking up the first one to great ironic cheers from The Kop, before trying it again successfully to greater encouragement. The phrase "God loves a trier" could have been invented for the guy.

Overall, it was a performance to be encouraged by, whilst remaining mindful of the fact that the opposition were probably the worst side we've faced in the league in decades. Let's hope we can translate our growing home form into a couple of decent away performances this week where far more challenging opponents lie in wait.

Quality post that Paul.

I think Riise has certainly found the form of his debut season, and has also an added maturity to his defending. Playing with Warnock helps Riise, as he knows that he has liscence to get forward as Warnock will help out defensively. Against United, Riise had no scope to attack, because of the lack of work-rate from Kewell. However yesterday he could bomb forward, safe in the knowledge that Warnock would cover him. It is an interesting point about Warnock maybe playing left-back, and I think I agree that he could be tailor-made for the role. He gave a solid if not spectacular display yesterday on the left wing albeit doing a very good job. I would like to see a switch of positions tried, but to be honest the balance of the team looked very good yesterday.

Can't really add much more about Xabi. Sheer class. The performance we all hoped he would give after the injury of Gerrard. He controlled the midfield and was the driving omnipresent force of the team. His range of passing is better than anyone else I have ever seen. He can hit them high or drill them low, but they always reach the intended target.

Let's not forget Didi. A lot of praise is due to him for his display yesterday. His ability to hold things together gives Alonso the freedom to dictate the game. His assist for Baros' goal was great, and just demonstrates how well he still reads the game.

Cisse was better. Baros ran himself into the ground as usual. They both scored very good goals, which will breed confidence and aide the development of a partnership. I get the impression that they genuinely want to form an effective partnership which is encouraging. When Owen was with us it sometimes was apparent that he was not so desperate to form a partnership with Baros. With both Garcia and Alonso in the team there will always be chances created from them.

Overall another good performance of the quality football that we want to see. Yes its "only Norwich," but still a side who drew with Newcastle and Spurs this season, and last season we would have most probably struggled to break them down, especially if we were playing without Stevie.

Quality post that Paul.

Playing with Warnock helps Riise, as he knows that he has liscence to get forward as Warnock will help out defensively. Against United, Riise had no scope to attack, because of the lack of work-rate from Kewell. However yesterday he could bomb forward, safe in the knowledge that Warnock would cover him. .

A small, but important, point is that away to United Riise faced Ronaldo and at times Giggs. That`s a whole other ball game than facing Paul McVeigh!!...

Quality post Paul - and Dan. A lot of positives to take forward I know it was only Norwich but Rafa says we are currently only playing at 60% of his expectation - we are just gonna vapourise the opposition when the team is complete.

After a disappointing tactical defeat, the soldiers of the Rafalution surrounded and massacred a group of armed peasants as they tried to storm our headquarters. Refreshed and regrouped, the Red Army is ready to embark on an insurgency mission on the Greek mainland before facing the despised capitalist hyenas of the evil blue 'tsar'. Forward to victory compadres !

Excellent stuff lads. I said after the Utd game how good I thought Alonso was, and he was even better yesterday.

God, i'm so encouraged with us at the moment I really am. Nine points out of nine at home is exactly what the doctor ordered. Ok we have played relatively poor teams, but we've been playing such sides at home for the last few years with less success.

Last season we wouldn't have beaten such sides so comfortably. Its just really refreshing to see us trying to beat teams.

Obviously we have to improve when we play the big sides - the forthcoming game at Chelsea will be a big acid test. Its the things that Rafa says which encourage me so much. After the game he didn't go ott about the performance and result, in fact he said he wanted more goals and that we can improve.

The best bit was when he said he wants to see us do better against the top teams. He just seems to be in touch with everything that we are all thinking.

And an ovation for Cisse after he chased a lost cause 20 yards as foar as i've read...I reckon someone had a word with him aftert the Utd game.

Just good to see that if there is an issue in a previous game there are efforts to stamp it out for the next game. Such as Zonal marking being dropped.

Encouraging.

Said so in the paper chief. Said that we were barnakle-tight or something. Love Stuart Hall's piece for 5-live saying we were imperious and that everyone should basically run away and cry, filled me with confidence after not seeing the game.

Downsides to playing instead of watching:

1. Miss out on far too many matches

2. Lose far to many games and ruin your saturdays

3. Get a fucking dead leg from a midfield pile-in (which is the most pathetic sounding injury ever but is so painful) and walk like a comedy pirate for two days!*

*I may have tried to remove my asailant's knee's earlier in the game, but that is no justification for booting me when i was down!!

Stuart Hall is a (over-used word, but true in this case) legend. I've seen several bits and pieces in the media this weekend fawning over Barry Davies, but give me Stuart Hall's high-camp, blow-the-speakers, literary allusions any day over Davies' pompous pontificating and anti-Red agenda. Good riddance; he's a twat.

I'll never forgive Davies for the way he commentated on our games during our Uefa cup win in 2001. The whole campaign we had to put up with him dampening our resolve with non-stop pointless criticism's.

Ever since that year i've listened to his commentary closely and I find it amazing how anyone could ever rate him. He always highlights the negative aspects of the game and spends most of the time just spouting pointless dialogue.

Good riddance.

Can't stand Barry Davies either lads, always felt he was happier commentating on the toffs at Wimbledon.

Can't understand Paul's love of Stuart Hall though, he should be in a retirement home in Blackpool by now the insane shoplifter that he is. Let's face it everyone remebers the loon for his stupid hairy boots and insane laughter on It's A Knockout rather than his Shakespear inspired nonsense that he passes off as descriptions of a football match. And I bet he's 100% gay.

• Upvote 1

Gotta admit that some of the earliest recollections of going the match when I was younger was when we were all in the car on the way home looking forward to his post-match analysis.

His reports have always had me smiling ever since. I don't get to listen to him much anymore but i'll always think of him warmly because of those memories I have.

I think he brings a bit of colour to proceedings, Hall that is. When you have report after report on five live you always listen to his even if you switch off for some of the others.

Although with the fantasy football points on offer to some of my players such as Euell, Edman and Van der Sar otherwise pointless games have greater significance and I become intensely aware of which games to listen out for. Sample saturday on the way back to the pub after our game.

"who set it up........YES, I KNOW IT WEAS A GREAT GOAL BUT WHO GOT THE FUCKING ASSIST........OH MY GOD...SENT OFF....YOU MUPPET!!"

"Didn't know you cared about Bolton Stu?" - "I don't i've just lost 6 points though"

Stuart Hall is great because he's utterly unique. He rejects cliche with a passion and is the antithesis of joyless twats like Barry Davies.

And what is wrong with liking Shakespeare? He invented half our language.

Stuart Hall is a fucking genius. I love listening to him, and it's a knockout is one of the greatest things in the history of great things.

Barry Davies is the most miserable, smug, condescending cunt ever to speak into a microphone. He gets no joy from anything, and always focuses on the negative aspect of what he's watching. I hate that guy, even more than Motson and Tyldesley. Good riddance.

Stuart Hall is a fucking genius. I love listening to him, and it's a knockout is one of the greatest things in the history of great things.

Barry Davies is the most miserable, smug, condescending cunt ever to speak into a microphone. He gets no joy from anything, and always focuses on the negative aspect of what he's watching. I hate that guy, even more than Motson and Tyldesley. Good riddance.

Stuart Hall rocks!

He stayed at my nana's caravan on Robin Hood camp in the 50/60's (before he was really famous).

I love his commentaries, his used of our language is sublime. I recall him commentating on a game and it went something like this...

"The Gladiators battling it out in the colluseum. The crowd baying for blood. Football at it's finest."

You are right, he is so much better than Barry "smug tw*t" Davies. Stuart Hall is like Howard Cosell (the late American Football commentator) in that his commentary could make an game of chess exciting.

Viva Stuart Hall!