You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Speaks!

an tha

It's also ironic to hear about all the problems Rodgers had with the committee when he is basically the reason why it was appointed in the first place.

Rodgers refused to work with a Director of Football, so instead the owners placed him at the head of a committee of people who would conduct transfers.

He's either forgetful, not very bright or a liar.

My vote is for all three.

How the cunt has the fucking brass to big himself up while the pile of fucking ordure he left us with is putting on another gutless (and goalless) performance beggars belief.

• Upvote 1

It's also ironic to hear about all the problems Rodgers had with the committee when he is basically the reason why it was appointed in the first place.

Rodgers refused to work with a Director of Football, so instead the owners placed him at the head of a committee of people who would conduct transfers.

and they didnt want another comolli situation where he was given carte blanche to sign who he wanted

I vote all of the above.

As always, he talked a good game, the problem was that points come on the pitch, not Power Point.

He lacked experience in working the transfer market, and lacked clout in landing the players that mattered. He had also never put a team together - and it showed, not least in ditching all experienced players at the Club who might ask; "Are you sure Brendan?"

On Sky he will never have a bad game.

• Upvote 1

Tuesday 3 Nov 2015 5:04 pm

‘Brendan had the final say on all the players we signed,’ Ayre told the Web Summit at the RDS in Dublin.

‘There’s only one person that has the final say over what players at Liverpool football club and that’s Jurgen Klopp right now. That’s always been the case for as long as I’ve been here,’ he added.

‘The words “transfer committee” I think got used once and became this idea that we all sit round a table and have a vote on every player we sign. That couldn’t be further from the truth,’ Ayre said.

‘The point that has been made about the committee, and I don’t think we did anything any different to most football clubs, is that the manager will say we are looking for somebody in this position and a bunch of people – a mix of traditional scouts and more recently analytical and digital-based information – bring all of that together as was always the case.

‘Then we look at two, three, four players, the best players for that position, show them to the manager and the manager can go watch or have the scouts go watch those players and narrow it down. At that point I’ll become more involved and start talking to clubs, agents, players on a negotiations basis and then the manager will choose.

‘That’s never changed. I’ve been at the football club eight years.’

http://metro.co.uk/2...n-ayre-5478552/

So that sort of backs up what Rodgers said in that he would be given a few players to look at....what is left in a grey area is what would happen if Rodgers said "I want (for example) Theo Walcott" or any other specific player.

This seems to be the bit where things aren't quite coming out clearly...surely it isn't a hard question for a journo to ask either "what would happen if the manager said he wants a specific player, forgetting about the list the scouts and stats men came up with?"

As someone mentioned, we gave him £7m to fuck off but didn't gag the cunt. I can't stand the bloke, it's always someone else's fault. Did the committee play the game against Chelsea when Stevie admitted in his book that Brendan's team talk was over confident against a Chelsea team we knew were coming to spoil the party. He's a tactic spastic and will excel tonight on MNF with a big screen and all the gadgets to play with on where players should be and what they should be doing. No doubt he'll come across as very knowledgable.

• Upvote 1

Rodgers was right about the transfer committee. Sadly, his alleged targets were even worse.

We'll soon see in the summer whether Klopp has told them to do one and goes for players HE wants, whether they are on a list or not.

One thing I do know, if things don't work out, he won't sack his backroom staff to save his own skin, he'll walk with them.

• Upvote 1

As always, he talked a good game, the problem was that points come on the pitch, not Power Point.

He lacked experience in working the transfer market, and lacked clout in landing the players that mattered. He had also never put a team together - and it showed, not least in ditching all experienced players at the Club who might ask; "Are you sure Brendan?"

On Sky he will never have a bad game.

Sounds a bit like how Benteke acts. 'Not my fault I dont score,you never pass to me.'

"The transfer model at the club is slightly different to that of other clubs," said Rodgers.

"There's a recruitment team in place whose job it is to bring in the players."

"If the player you want is not on the list you have to take someone else," said Rodgers.

"For example if you want a left back, but the one you want isn't there, you have to take the best one thats in that group."

Reflecting on the 2014/15 season, Rodgers said: "The huge blow for us that season was that we thought we were getting Alexis Sanchez.

"We were going to then bring in Rickie Lambert alongside him, but it ended up that we didnt get Sanchez, we just got Rickie.

"All of a sudden our only striker is Rickie Lambert. At 32 years of age going into the Champions League season that wasn't ideal."

---

If that is true (and I don't think he would say it if it wasn't), then that is fucking ridiculous. You have to sympathise with him. In my opinion he was out of his depth, but not because of his prowess as a manager or a coach; more so because of his (lack of) clout and inability to demand autonomy.

That is why we needed somebody like Klopp. We needed a manager the board could justify (in their own heads) trusted wholeheartedly, without condition. Because frankly the board are a bunch of fucking morons.

He should've said it at the time instead of saying the opposite. No symps

"The transfer model at the club is slightly different to that of other clubs," said Rodgers.

"There's a recruitment team in place whose job it is to bring in the players."

"If the player you want is not on the list you have to take someone else," said Rodgers.

"For example if you want a left back, but the one you want isn't there, you have to take the best one thats in that group."

Reflecting on the 2014/15 season, Rodgers said: "The huge blow for us that season was that we thought we were getting Alexis Sanchez.

"We were going to then bring in Rickie Lambert alongside him, but it ended up that we didnt get Sanchez, we just got Rickie.

"All of a sudden our only striker is Rickie Lambert. At 32 years of age going into the Champions League season that wasn't ideal."

---

If that is true (and I don't think he would say it if it wasn't), then that is fucking ridiculous. You have to sympathise with him. In my opinion he was out of his depth, but not because of his prowess as a manager or a coach; more so because of his (lack of) clout and inability to demand autonomy.

That is why we needed somebody like Klopp. We needed a manager the board could justify (in their own heads) trusted wholeheartedly, without condition. Because frankly the board are a bunch of fucking morons.

I thought Brendan was on the Transfer Committee.  If he wanted a player badly enough, surely it was his job to get that player onto "the list".  (Let's face it, I'm sure nobody else at the club was champing at the bit to bring in Borini, for example.)  Like you say, not enough clout.

I agree that missing out on Sanchez was "a huge blow" - but shit happens and you can't always get what you want.  The absolute, abject failure - for which it is right that people lost their jobs - was not having a Plan B.  This was two years after Rodgers had started his tenure short of strikers, thanks to a failure to plan properly during the transfer window.  If you can't learn from a fuck-up like that, then...