You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Speaks!

an tha

How does a manager agree to not sign any players that he wants and not resign? I think someone's on the PR offensive and auditioning for a new job. My hands we always tied at Liverpool 

I can understand hanging on to a degree. Could be a once in a lifetime job for him so why not keep trying regardless of what restrictions you might be faced with.

In saying that though he didn't do himself any favours. He'll never get a top job again without first going backwards. 

"The transfer model at the club is slightly different to that of other clubs," said Rodgers.

"There's a recruitment team in place whose job it is to bring in the players."

"If the player you want is not on the list you have to take someone else," said Rodgers.

"For example if you want a left back, but the one you want isn't there, you have to take the best one thats in that group."

Reflecting on the 2014/15 season, Rodgers said: "The huge blow for us that season was that we thought we were getting Alexis Sanchez.

"We were going to then bring in Rickie Lambert alongside him, but it ended up that we didnt get Sanchez, we just got Rickie.

"All of a sudden our only striker is Rickie Lambert. At 32 years of age going into the Champions League season that wasn't ideal."

---

If that is true (and I don't think he would say it if it wasn't), then that is fucking ridiculous. You have to sympathise with him. In my opinion he was out of his depth, but not because of his prowess as a manager or a coach; more so because of his (lack of) clout and inability to demand autonomy.

That is why we needed somebody like Klopp. We needed a manager the board could justify (in their own heads) trusted wholeheartedly, without condition. Because frankly the board are a bunch of fucking morons.

• Upvote 1

How does a manager agree to not sign any players that he wants and not resign? I think someone's on the PR offensive and auditioning for a new job. My hands we always tied at Liverpool 

Reading

Swansea

Liverpool

Not being funny but as proud (and talented) a manager Rodgers is, he hasn't got the balls to resign from the biggest gig he may ever have in his life. In fact, show me a time any manager has resigned due to shitty owners? It doesn't make financial sense if nothing else.

Said exactly what I thought he would say. Not one ounce of humility or admission that he made mistakes. He makes it seem like Sanchez and Ali were absolute sure things until the club fucked it up. 

It obviously hasn't crossed his mind that Ali may not have been totally inspired by the little chat they had in that hotel room, or that Alexis rightly wanted to play for a true managerial great and not some pretender.

Disappointed in Rodgers. He wants to work abroad but doesn't seem to understand that he'll be working with the same sort of transfer setup he had here. 

• Upvote 1

Whatever way it's painted, the transfer policy of the club is an absolute and unrelenting clusterfuck.

Yep, even this month it's been stupid and Rodgers isnt even here! Need goals more than anything so loan a centre back days after getting Ilori back and spend money on a teenage midfielder who wont even play for us this season!

Tuesday 3 Nov 2015 5:04 pm

‘Brendan had the final say on all the players we signed,’ Ayre told the Web Summit at the RDS in Dublin.

‘There’s only one person that has the final say over what players at Liverpool football club and that’s Jurgen Klopp right now. That’s always been the case for as long as I’ve been here,’ he added.

‘The words “transfer committee” I think got used once and became this idea that we all sit round a table and have a vote on every player we sign. That couldn’t be further from the truth,’ Ayre said.

‘The point that has been made about the committee, and I don’t think we did anything any different to most football clubs, is that the manager will say we are looking for somebody in this position and a bunch of people – a mix of traditional scouts and more recently analytical and digital-based information – bring all of that together as was always the case.

‘Then we look at two, three, four players, the best players for that position, show them to the manager and the manager can go watch or have the scouts go watch those players and narrow it down. At that point I’ll become more involved and start talking to clubs, agents, players on a negotiations basis and then the manager will choose.

‘That’s never changed. I’ve been at the football club eight years.’

http://metro.co.uk/2...n-ayre-5478552/

This position? I hope Klopp will tell them who he wants instead.

clearly doesnt work like that. I doubt he knew much about caulker or long. hopefully there are some targets he can identify that he thinks will work and fit the fsg criteria but if your names not on the list....

It's also ironic to hear about all the problems Rodgers had with the committee when he is basically the reason why it was appointed in the first place.

Rodgers refused to work with a Director of Football, so instead the owners placed him at the head of a committee of people who would conduct transfers.

He's either forgetful, not very bright or a liar.

• Upvote 1