You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Better Call Saul

Elite

That last episode felt like a turning point in the show, very little actually happened, but it was mesmerising.

It's been enjoyable up to now, but it feels like its about to become really good

Guest Numero Veinticinco

That last episode felt like a turning point in the show, very little actually happened, but it was mesmerising.

It's been enjoyable up to now, but it feels like its about to become really good

It really was a brilliant episode of TV. TV shows are well better than movies.
  • Upvote 3

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Although I agree for the most part I would have to say that you're bound to say that as you've only seen 3 films.

Ha. I've seen loads of films. Just not classic 80s films. I've watched quite a few now though. They're missing the nostalgic attraction for me, of course.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

TV shows have spoiled movies for me. Movies feel like short stories now, occasionally interesting but not enough character development to really emotionally invest in.

I totally agree with that. I mean, there's still a place for great movies, and I love certain films as much as TV shows, but TV seems to me to be a way better format.

With TV, the audience invests their time in it, and become attached through sheer familiarity. Add to the fact that those who don't like a TV show will drop out part way through, and it is obvious that TV shows will eventually develop its own devoted fan base that await each new episode with interest.

Great movies on the other hand have to tell a story, establish characters, have emotional pay-offs, and set a distinct tone in one go, with no chance to "find its feet" and retool as it goes. For that reason, I find movies a hell of a lot more interesting, and more of an achievement. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

With TV, the audience invests their time in it, and become attached through sheer familiarity. Add to the fact that those who don't like a TV show will drop out part way through, and it is obvious that TV shows will eventually develop its own devoted fan base that await each new episode with interest.

Great movies on the other hand have to tell a story, establish characters, have emotional pay-offs, and set a distinct tone in one go, with no chance to "find its feet" and retool as it goes. For that reason, I find movies a hell of a lot more interesting, and more of an achievement.

That only holds true of TV shows can't or don't do all of those things too, which we've seen that they have many times.

That only holds true of TV shows can't or don't do all of those things too, which we've seen that they have many times.

That was my point; TV can do those things, but has the luxury of time to do so. A movie that can hit with emotional heft is a more impressive achievement because it hasn't spent six seasons accumulating a captive audience and ditching those that weren't into it.

Think about all those shitty, shitty TV shows that you ditched after a couple of episodes. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't think anybody is saying they don't make shit TV shows, just like most movies are utter garbage, we're saying that TV gives the ability have more depth and emotional connection with what's going on. It's a better way to tell stories. Not because of familiarity, but because of story telling depth and detail, as well as an emotional bond with the character.

I can't really think of a film which has ever allowed the development of a character like Walter White. I think it's a better vehicle for dramatic content. Just my view.

I don't think anybody is saying they don't make shit TV shows, just like most movies are utter garbage, we're saying that TV gives the ability have more depth and emotional connection with what's going on. It's a better way to tell stories. Not because of familiarity, but because of story telling depth and detail, as well as an emotional bond with the character.

I can't really think of a film which has ever allowed the development of a character like Walter White. I think it's a better vehicle for dramatic content. Just my view.

Of course, there is no right or wrong opinion on this. Pure personal opinion and all that.

I just disagreed with your statements that "TV is a better format" and "TV is well-better than movies."  I would take my favorite 20 movies over the entire run of any of my favorite TV shows (on the basis of say the 62 episodes of Breaking Bad equaling 20 movies, at 3 episodes = 1 movie in terms of running time). 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think it can be argued quite reasonably that they're a better format for dramatic content, simply because of the time given to each character. As for favourites, I'm with you on that, it's totally subjective.

I love certain films, but to me they're like a good double episode of TV.

Took a few episodes to get me going, but I'm properly hooked now. How cool is Mike? Thought the last episode was very well done, if a bit inevitabe.

Fuck, only now realised there's only one more episode to go in the first season. Bollocks.

I really enjoyed this weeks episode, it was great to see Mike as the character we know from breaking bad. 

The only thing that has spoilt it for me, is I have always felt this entire season was always about the breakdown of his relationship with his brother (and I realised it was his bro who black balled him when he got his law degree) and Kim (which of course we are yet to see, although he may have already broken that one) and this is how he will develop into Saul. So I expect next weeks episode to feature how the Kim piece fails. While the back story is good, it really has felt like a 9 episode back story up to now - although I assume this is to allows them to develop the characters around saul for season 2. It's just felt really slow at times. Like something that was written a long time ago, maybe in the era it was set.