You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Better Call Saul

Elite

I half expected it to be a bit laboured, but the backstory is so rich and offers so much potential. I guess it's difficult to put a lid on a potential wealth of contextual side-stories and drive the main narrative. Sign of good writing IMO.

The cinematography's every bit as good as in BB, which I like. Getting Michael McKean in to play Chuck is an absolute touch as well: Normally when I see him in things other than 'Spinal Tap' I just expect him to turn into Derek St Hubbins and demand everything be "in Dobly". Not here, he owns that role. Top, top stuff.

• Upvote 2

I half expected it to be a bit laboured, but the backstory is so rich and offers so much potential. I guess it's difficult to put a lid on a potential wealth of contextual side-stories and drive the main narrative. Sign of good writing IMO.

The cinematography's every bit as good as in BB, which I like. Getting Michael McKean in to play Chuck is an absolute touch as well: Normally when I see him in things other than 'Spinal Tap' I just expect him to turn into Derek St Hubbins and demand everything be "in Dobly". Not here, he owns that role. Top, top stuff.

What he said, but written with much less care.

I'm still loving it a lot.

I could see it coming towards the end as well, although I also thought that when it had the episode where Hamlin had the chat with him in the mail room.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Thought the way Chuck responded was especially cunty.

I'm expecting that after this plays out they are ending the series with him changing his name to Saul to remove any association with the McGill name because of his brother.

I'm still loving it a lot.

I could see it coming towards the end as well, although I also thought that when it had the episode where Hamlin had the chat with him in the mail room.

Thought the way Chuck responded was especially county.

I'm expecting that after this plays out they are ending the series with him changing his name to Saul to remove any association with the McGill name because of his brother.

I think (and hope) there's way more to come before he becomes Saul.

For me in an ideal world This is just the start, while he may be pissed at his brother I think it would be a cop out for that to be the sole reason to change his name. He's shown too much love and compassion to his brother so far to throw it all away on this one, albeit horrible outburst by his brother. He might be done but I hope they don't just cut their time together like that (maybe them becoming adversaries?)

He's a likeable loser much like Walter White was at the start right now, it'll be nice for them to mirror this by slowly turning him into a rogue rather than jump to it right away. But I can't imagine they have the time they did with BB.

But that's enough of me trying to guess the way it will go. I just have to wait 2 weeks (gf is away next week and she wants to watch it together when she is back)

Btw I always understood he didn't become Saul until he was already roped into the criminal underworld "s'all good man" sounds odd if he plucks it out of thin air or when dealing with some elder law nonsense.

Edit - I'm making Fucking around with spoiler tags on Tapatalk far more difficult than it should be. Hopefully it works now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I just think that's the best opening season of TV I've seen on recent memory. Brilliantly written, acted, photographed, and directed. Understated, clever, restrained... A real surprise. I was expecting some lighthearted, joke based spin off, but got another top show.

I'd be interested to know if anyone watched this having not seen BB, and know what they thought.

I enjoyed it enough, but very significantly due to my knowledge of the characters and the flow of the show.

I couldn't give the same level of plaudits that many here have. It wasn't incredible, yet.

I'd be interested to know if anyone watched this having not seen BB, and know what they thought.

I enjoyed it enough, but very significantly due to my knowledge of the characters and the flow of the show.

I couldn't give the same level of plaudits that many here have. It wasn't incredible, yet.

I was actually just coming on here to ask if it's worth watching without having seen Breaking Bad first (which I haven't), any opinions?