You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool v West Ham match thread

Paco

Yes and so was I. Didnt you read the bit where I said people's bodyheat made it not feel as cold? On the night of the game, the weather people said the lowest temperature on Merseyside was recorded.

I don't remember it being cold at all. I remember lots about that evening, but not a thing about the cold. I remember getting to the ground before five and the queues for the Kop were already massive.

I don't remember it being cold at all. I remember lots about that evening, but not a thing about the cold. I remember getting to the ground before five and the queues for the Kop were already massive.

Great, I got locked out along with about 10,000 others on Anny Road. Was so chokka you could hardly move.

Absolutely nothing beats the Riverside Stadium for freezing temperatures. I even remember going there when we played the first game of the season a couple of years back and it was absolutely Baltic. In bloody August!

I also remember going there in Ged's final season. The football was fucking grim and it was the day England won the Rugby World Cup because the Boro mongs were taunting Harry Kewell with 'Swing Low Sweet Chariot', conveniently forgetting Mark Schwarzer's nationality. Anyway, it was so cold I thought there were icicles on my nose. I was in the bogs at half time having a piss and everyone's shivering. This one fella pipes up, "If it wasn't for the ale and having a laugh with your mates, you'd fuck it off, wouldn't you?" Everyone around just stands there nodding in agreement like a row of Churchill dogs.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely nothing beats the Riverside Stadium for freezing temperatures. I even remember going there when we played the first game of the season a couple of years back and it was absolutely Baltic. In bloody August!

I also remember going there in Ged's final season. The football was fucking grim and it was the day England won the Rugby World Cup because the Boro mongs were taunting Harry Kewell with 'Swing Low Sweet Chariot', conveniently forgetting Mark Schwarzer's nationality. Anyway, it was so cold I thought there were icicles on my nose. I was in the bogs at half time having a piss and everyone's shivering. This one fella pipes up, "If it wasn't for the ale and having a laugh with your mates, you'd fuck it off, wouldn't you?" Everyone around just stands there nodding in agreement like a row of Churchill dogs.

Haha! It is cold up here no doubt about it.

Sunderland is worse though. Coldest place on earth that place.

Goin to queue up for the kop straight from school? fucking boss.

That game was one of those exceptions - everyone knew it would be sold out early.  I remember there were four of us, and one of the lads went to the chippy and brought us back our scran which we ate in the queue.  We were in the ground almost two hours before kick off, and both ends and the paddock were packed before 6.  

In those long lost days, I'd normally be in my spec well before 2pm for a 3pm game.  Knew the programme off by heart by 3.  

It was good to hear yesterday's crowd pick up by the end of the game yesterday - speaking to a chum of mine after the game he said it was great to come out on a real high - Sturridge's return is a real fillip.

I went to watch Wales v Ireland at Wrexham in the early 90's, well I say went to watch but at that time we used to do a bit of the 'hat, cap, scarf or a badge' selling and at the time were enjoying taking a few quid from a successful Irish teams fans.....it was the coldest night I have ever known at footy, just unbelievably cold. If memory serves me right the managers wanted it called off or certainly one did but it went ahead on a rock hard pitch.

Not much has changed. We're on a good run of form, albeit against shite sides, but still have some big hurdles ahead. Rodgers deserves the same amount of credit for current form as he deserved blame for the dross we served up earlier.

Sturridge back puts the last piece in place. I feel moderately confident but won't be convinced until we beat a good side. We'll know soon enough.

• Upvote 1

This from a West Ham forum.

https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2015/02/01/banter-is-fun-bigotry-is-not

Yesterday’s performance at Liverpool was dismal, but the performance of some of our fans was even worse. I was shocked at the levels of racist chanting before the match in the bar beneath away supporters stand and was equally appalled at the baiting of Liverpool fans over the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters. To top it all off I witnessed one of our fans calling Joey O’Brien a square head and urging him to xxxx off back to potato land.

Now I like football banter as much as any fan, but the anti Tottenham song about foreskins ending with xxxxing Jew is not banter – it’s racist. This song was sung by around a 100 fans in the bar before the match and came in the same week as the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Aushwitz and Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Whilst I don’t think that every fan who sings this song is a Nazi, I do think every fan should consider the hatred expressed in this song is in danger of legitimising the anti semitic Nazi ideology that led to the systematic murder of over 6 million innocent men, women and children simply for being Jewish.

Moreover, the baiting of Liverpool fans about the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters is equally disgusting. The song “always the victim” disdains the memory of the 96 innocent Liverpool fans who died at Hillsborough and the 39 Juventus fans who died at Heysel. These disasters could have happened to any football fans as the deaths at Ibrox and Bradford amply show. Blaming fans for negligent policing decisions and crumbling dangerous stadia lets the authorities off the hook and protects the people who are really responsible.

I was proud as a West Ham fan to visit the Justice for the 96 campaign shop opposite Anfield with my son before the game yesterday. There we paid our respects to the dead and the bereaved. We also talked to Steve who is an Evertonian who lost his brother at Hillsborough. Nothing can bring his brother back, but the relentless campaign for the truth supported by fans in Liverpool and beyond has established the innocence of the fans on that day and also nailed the attempted cover up of the establishment and the police. Justice is coming but only as a result of the efforts of the JFT96 campaign and the solidarity shown by many others.

It is in this tradition of solidarity that we should all seek to stand. Banter is fun, bigotry is not.

• Upvote 7

I've always found West Ham fans to be an alright bunch in general, but there does seem to be this growing section amongst all the London clubs (bar Spurs) that revels in anti-semitic chanting, and then goes on to anything else they can think of that's offensive. It's practically the only section of the Chelsea lot that sings.

I've always found West Ham fans to be an alright bunch in general, but there does seem to be this growing section amongst all the London clubs (bar Spurs) that revels in anti-semitic chanting, and then goes on to anything else they can think of that's offensive. It's practically the only section of the Chelsea lot that sings.

I know a few older fans very well and they are top blokes, Go to all the games and love their football but they say there is a growing element of young edl tossers making a big noise.

Shame , West Ham are a proper club, 

I'm surprised to hear that. I've always found West Ham fans to be pretty decent, and usually quite funny with their chanting. A shame if there is a growing EDL element attaching themselves to them. Although I suspect they don't give a shit about the football.

I'm surprised to hear that. I've always found West Ham fans to be pretty decent, and usually quite funny with their chanting. A shame if there is a growing EDL element attaching themselves to them. Although I suspect they don't give a shit about the football.

it's always been there, though most of them are decent coves.

Ok.

Marseilles was late 2003/4 Drogba helped knock us out the wafer.

Monaco was group stage 2004/5 CL group stage ( surely you've seen the DVD enough times)

Bordeaux CL group stage 2006/07.

Marseilles group stage 2007/08.

France are a major country in Europe, it's hardly a massive coincidence.

What I take from that West Ham fan's view that he gets, is something that I have always said, but that a lot of opposition fans might not be aware of, if I'm honest.

'Always the victim' is a snide way of having a Hillsborough and Heysel dig. Always has been, always will be. The Mancs started it, dressing it up as a Suarez dig (which falls down with the 'always' part).

Same with murderers. They say that's a Heysel chant. Which they then show the true meaning of by their 'The S*n was right' chant. The Chavs are fully aware of it when they sing it too.

It's about time this was addressed too, as it chanted en masse, year on year at OT and never a peep. They usually come back with the usual 'youse give it the Munich stuff'- when have you ever heard the whole stadium chanting it like that (not saying a few dickheads don't chant it)?

Top post by that west ham fan. After the game my mate who sits in the Anny Road mentioned their chanting was out of order. He said the same thing as others, that west ham were a 'proper club' with decent fans but they seem to have got a growing number of dickheads following them.

This 'always the victim' fucking cuts. No right minded person who's hearing the evidence coming out of the inquiry can ignore the litany of police mistakes.

What really grips my shits is the chelsea rent boys and maureen going on about a 'campaign' against them within football and how its creating a siege mentality within the club. Then the twats have the nerve to stand on the terracing chanting 'Always the victim.'