You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Emre Can

WhiskeyJar

The release clause thing just doesn't add up really at all. He's going to leave anyway and for nothing. I think the club would already have agreed one if they felt he was going to go on a free. The only reason I think the club would knock one back is if he's trying to get a really low one in which opens up a club to get him in January.

The release clause thing just doesn't add up really at all. He's going to leave anyway and for nothing. I think the club would already have agreed one if they felt he was going to go on a free. The only reason I think the club would knock one back is if he's trying to get a really low one in which opens up a club to get him in January.

I can't understand either why a release clause at any sensible level isn't better than having him walk away for nothing in less than a year. The story just makes no sense and is typical lazy tabloid journalism .

He wants a release clause in the new contract as a condition of signing it. If the club give him a release clause he'll sign then see where we are over the next couple of years. Maybe he harbours a desire to go to bayern when he's 25 or 26 and sees this as his best option?

I can't understand either why a release clause at any sensible level isn't better than having him walk away for nothing in less than a year. The story just makes no sense and is typical lazy tabloid journalism .

The impression I get is the club doesnt want to be seen giving players release clauses. They nearly got caught out with suarez's 'release' clause. Bobby is reputed to have one but perhaps at renewal, they'll try and remove it. Clearly the club was able to rebuff barcelona seeing as coutinho didnt have one.

Im happy for the club to say no to release clauses. What does a player want a release clause for? Are they not happy at the club, do they want to play safe in case they get a better offer anytime during their contract?

He wants a release clause in the new contract as a condition of signing it. If the club give him a release clause he'll sign then see where we are over the next couple of years. Maybe he harbours a desire to go to bayern when he's 25 or 26 and sees this as his best option?

The impression I get is the club doesnt want to be seen giving players release clauses. They nearly got caught out with suarez's 'release' clause. Bobby is reputed to have one but perhaps at renewal, they'll try and remove it. Clearly the club was able to rebuff barcelona seeing as coutinho didnt have one.

Im happy for the club to say no to release clauses. What does a player want a release clause for? Are they not happy at the club, do they want to play safe in case they get a better offer anytime during their contract?

I mean it doesn't add up from the clubs side. I can understand him wanting one for the reasons you said. Fair enough if he had 2/3 years left and the club didn't want to give him a release clause but he's got less than a year left. He's leaving on a free anyway if the club don't give him one. There is surely more to it than that

A 5 year contract is along time. Teams can vary wildly over such a period. Managers change, players change and circumstances change.

A long contract with a release clause is a good compromise.

Transfer fees as a source of income just don't seem important to LFC anymore.  Anyone would have bet the Coutinho and Can sagas would have played out differently, I'm sure.  Hedge funders chasing the big bucks...

There seems to be an element of the clubs trying to wrest back control of movement from players.  But a policy like this is also a way to weed out the players who want to use you as a stepping stone club.

In the medium-long term it makes a lot of sense to me. If you are building a "project", you can't be replacing a Suarez one year, a Sterling the next and then a coutinho.   It'd drive you to the SPL. And, it was the refusal to put a clause in coutinho's contract that allowed us to control that situation.

I'm not sure the club will, in isolation, eliminate release clauses and there will never be enough good will and cooperation across the league to force the issue, UEFA won't intervene.

Liverpool probably need to be pragmatic otherwise players will be put off signing and when a Coutinho situation does arise it becomes extremely disruptive and probably only just delays the inevitable . 

I would favour a hybrid type contract where the clause could only be triggered after two or three years and perhaps we have binding arbitration if the parties cannot agree the value of the release. 

• Upvote 1

We should offer him a new contract with a release clause of £30 million and advise him he won't be considered for selection until he signs it.

He won't get picked for Germany in the world cup if he doesn't play, so we do still have some leverage?

He could well sue us for doing that, couldn't he?

I'm not sure the club will, in isolation, eliminate release clauses and there will never be enough good will and cooperation across the league to force the issue, UEFA won't intervene.

Liverpool probably need to be pragmatic otherwise players will be put off signing and when a Coutinho situation does arise it becomes extremely disruptive and probably only just delays the inevitable . 

I would favour a hybrid type contract where the clause could only be triggered after two or three years and perhaps we have binding arbitration if the parties cannot agree the value of the release. 

Makes sense. Much more palatable.  That's kind of the situation Keita has, isn't it?  

Makes sense. Much more palatable.  That's kind of the situation Keita has, isn't it?  

No idea on Keita's contract I'm afraid,  I was just thinking it through based on what sort of compromise could work. Neither the clubs or the players can expect to have it all their own way.

More 'hard' bargaining from LFC, just like with Sakho.

The result will probably be equally shit, if not worse.

I don't see how replacing Can with Keita is a shit move.  In the same way as replacing Sakho with Matip is ok by me.  NOT replacing Lovren with VVD is a bona fide shit move.  The ones you mention, not so much.

Give him a fucking release clause, what difference does it make to us? Either we lose him in Jan for fuck all or we lose him some time in the future for £xx million.

Hopefully we can negotiate that it doesn't come into effect until the summer after next, and can't be triggered by a domestic rival. That would be the best outcome in this all round shitty situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a simple contest between players and clubs as to who retains the upper hand. To maximize value, either value in keeping a good player in your team, or value in selling, the clubs will want their good players on long contracts with no release clause, like we have done with Coutinho. To maximize earning potential, and to fully explore and assess the various playing options, players will want to wind down their deal, like Can is doing.

The outcome of all of this will be more and more contracts with release clauses. As release clauses become the norm they will get more and more nuanced. For example, x amount if we sell you to a Prem team, y amount to a European team. There might be sliding scales, so the release clause is higher with more time left ont he contract, or we might see a minimum requirement that you have to complete two years before the release clause kicks in, etc. There will be a lot of creativity on that side, but you would have to think clauses will be the compromise that ensures some sort of balance of power between club and player.

PS - Can is so close to being able to negotiate his options for leaving on a free that I don't expect him to sign a new deal. There's an outside chance that he will, but we will have to match the signing on fee and wages he would receive elsewhere, and that may be unpalatable. Further, Can is a good player, but he might not be a starter in next season's best midfield, so playing time might be a factor for him, as well as maximizing his earning options.

• Upvote 1