You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

17 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

He seemed to be playing more centrally last night than he’s been doing this season. Very interesting to see whether this will be the case in games ahead, and how it will work out.

He should be closer to goal. He causes more panic to more players, out wide he's mostly or more easily dealt with.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

He should be closer to goal. He causes more panic to more players, out wide he's mostly or more easily dealt with.

Well he has to start his movement somewhere and staying too close to goal will mean tighter marking and fewer space(s.) Perhaps he is too wide when receiving it as we ask our FBs to overlap and support? But I find it difficult to imagine there arent game plans and he is instructed to take up certain positions by the coaching staff.

I "just" think our build up play is far too laboured so he's getting no space in behind.  There's more to it than that but essentially we need to get the ball to our forwards much quicker, we need to be a bit more direct at times.  I don't know if we have the players to play that way any more but that's what Salah needs.

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

I "just" think our build up play is far too laboured so he's getting no space in behind.  There's more to it than that but essentially we need to get the ball to our forwards much quicker, we need to be a bit more direct at times.  I don't know if we have the players to play that way any more but that's what Salah needs.

Ideally we need all our forwards to be goal threats so the opposition cannot triple mark one player and reduce our goal threat. But that said,we are still scoring plenty it's what is going on further back where the problems untimately lie.

I thought what was interesting regarding the chances Mo took and scored with, was that he didnt seem to take that 'extra' touch to set himself up for the shots.

It was more like the Mo of old. See the chance, smack the ball, goal. Hope he and a few others in the team continue with it because a lot of chances seem to have gone begging this season as players want the extra touch. I guess a lack of confidence does that even to top players?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Moo said:

It comes back to our midfield....

It used to win lots of 2nd balls and then shift it onto the forwards qucikly and those foreards would be moving into space.

It simply does not happen often enough now or quick enough.

Look at how many goals mane and salah scored from 2018-2020 where they were in behind teams and running into space from a through ball that they took on into space and found themselves away and clear...we hardly ever score goals like that now.

Some of it is due to more teams putting up a low block more - but a lot of it is down to our midfield being slow and ponderous, not winning those 2nd balls often enough and then passing quickly into space because opposition are stretched like we used to do loads....teams are getting set easier/not getting stretched as much or as often.

We also don't snuff out danger as well now and nick those balls that led to turnovers as much as we used to.

On 14/10/2022 at 11:39, Moo said:

I don't think we have as many successful turnover of possession we used to. That was part of our game. Win the ball as they're coming out and counter their counter and get Salah and mane in. We don't really do that at all now. Instead teams just pass through us and have their own chances. 

16 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking shocking the way Mo gets treated by PL refs. You see it every game, he gets tug to the ground then the oppo cunts stand over him gesturing a dive and the refs lap it up.

The real xenophobia 

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

90 minutes and the least touches of any player on the field on either side. The ball bouncing off him like a traffic cone.

That performance yesterday was as bad as it gets. He escapes a lot of criticism because of what he’s done in the past, and rightly so to some degree at least.

But if you look at that perfomance yesterday alone, it was as bad as the likes of Borini and Lambert ever produced.

1 hour ago, Code said:

Why are we pumping high balls into the box when we have Mo and Carvalho in there?

We've been doing that for years, and usually only with shortish players in the box. It's been okay before because there have also been enough occasions when the ball has actually been played in to feet.