You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thompsonsnose is an angry man, so let's put that one to bed straightaway.

Agree with Dave, follow the logical route, WHY would we loan Pepe Reina out? Indeed, why would that happen? I know, because it was/is the only option available to us.

I'm not sure why you'd care if Reina was on the bench or not, what does it matter to you? Which other team in World football has a number 2 like Reina? Real Madrid had Casillas last season as number 2, but that was a mental situation and will never be repeated by Ancelotti.

There's a reason that top goalkeepers dont fuck around on the sidelines, because demand will always outstrip supply. Reina, at his best, is better than 90% of keepers out there. Mignolet is fresher and more 'up' for it at Liverpool than Reina, it's natural, Pepe's grown stale. His joker antics and bright smile don't carry much weight with teammates when you've lost games because he's fucked up for the 15th time in a season. Everyone needs a change, us and him.

What is it with Liverpool fans and a rigid fear of the future?

Players change, get over it, somehow, just get a handle on your problem.

Players get bored, their mindset and enjoyment of the game can change, they might want a change in their life to move to another country, to experience something else, to get paid more, to get paid less but live in more luxurious and warmer areas of the world, christ, they might just fancy putting on another colour kit or listening to another set of fans sings songs. Don't take it personally, they aren't scouse, this isn't their 'home' as you know it, it's 'a' house, one of about four they probably own. And sure they might love it here at times, and their kids regard it as home, but the life of a football comes with perks but also with drawbacks, and uprooting your family is one of them. Eventually, they all return to what they are comfortable with. And as much as we love and sing songs for the fathers, we don't do it for the mothers, and they have just as much say if not more in terms of when they leave and where they go to.

Reina has been with us since 2005, that's a long time in football parlance, and to be honest it's shown in the last 2 years. The zip isnt there, the spring in his step has gone, this isn't new and exciting anymore, it's 'normal'. This is why the signing of Mignolet was important. It's a reality check for everyone at the club, your place in the team isn't automatic because you've been here longer and are mates with everyone and well liked. There's a small matter of being one of the best in the world in your position.

It's embarrassing to see these threads be elongated and people moan about Reina still being 'class' or that it's downsizing and to do with FSG. All just bollocks, you're scared, that's the fucking problem, scared of change, and you demand your comfort blankets like Reina.

You're full of shit mate.

I was happy for Reina to be replaced.

But i was also ok with him staying.

A bit indifferent, given other areas that need strengthening more.

I didn't see it as a priority for a supposedly prudent club, to be spending on new GK right now.

Is that ok?

Now that Mignolet is here, it seemed obvious that Reina was to be sold.

If we loan him and pay some of his wages are you seriously telling me that's ok with you?

Cos it seems a bit daft to me.

Wheres the outrage in that?

You can stop trolling me now, you mincing fucking whopper.

But he wasn't wrong. A want-away player is replaced quickly (replacing goalkeepers is not easy, as good ones don't become available very often, so Rodgers had to pounce when the opportunity was there - he would have been remiss if he hadn't), and Reina is given the opportunity to go and play elsewhere to keep his world cup ambitions alive. Reina, Reina's agent, and the club would have been sounding out other clubs for a while now. There may be an agreement with Barcelona which comes into effect at the end of the season, there may have been no interest anywhere else, we don't know - but it is likely that there has been a lot of work done to try and offload Reina on a permanent deal. If Napoli are taking him on loan and paying all of his salary, then it's a win-win.

He was wrong to think that Reina was going (i.e., being transferred) elsewhere. If indeed he did think that.

Furthermore, if this is the case, his misjudgement cost us a significant proportion of our transfer budget (making a change in what I believe to be a non-priority position).

You could still argue that the loan was the best available option, given the prior misjudgement. Which may be so. Especially if Napoli are paying all of his salary and possibly a loan fee. Is this the case?

You're full of shit mate.

I was happy for Reina to be replaced.

But i was also ok with him staying.

No, you're right, it's me who looks like the idiot.

Fuck off Suarez.

Please stay.

You fucker.

You legend.

Grrr.

Awww.

Why would I troll you? Who are you? Should I be trolling you? I'd hate to be missing out if you're someone important. Give me a clue.

He was wrong to think that Reina was going (i.e., being transferred) elsewhere. If indeed he did think that.

Furthermore, if this is the case, his misjudgement cost us a significant proportion of our transfer budget (making a change in what I believe to be a non-priority position).

You could still argue that the loan was the best available option, given the prior misjudgement. Which may be so. Especially if Napoli are paying all of his salary and possibly a loan fee. Is this the case?

He knew that Reina wanted away, so he decided to take matters into his own hands. The correct thing to do. No misjudgement there.

The facts of any loan arrangement are not yet public, though it would appear from latest reports that Napoli are paying all of his salary.

He knew that Reina wanted away, so he decided to take matters into his own hands. The correct thing to do. No misjudgement there.

The facts of any loan arrangement are not yet public, though it would appear from latest reports that Napoli are paying all of his salary.

I wasn't arguing about whether Reina wanted away. I was arguing about whether Reina was being sold. (See my posts on the previous page.)

I want away from my job. I'm not leaving it. It would be a misjudgement on the part of my boss to replace me when I'm still under contract on the mere basis that I want away. Or have some vague hope of a better job.

I would think practically every Liverpool fan would of thought he was leaving when we bought a new keeper. The sad part is the manager coming out to say the reason we bought him was to add competition for the number 1 jersey.

The fact he is going to Napoli and as a loan player does not justify buying a new keeper and it blows the managers competition statement to pieces.

I would think practically every Liverpool fan would of thought he was leaving when we bought a new keeper. The sad part is the manager coming out to say the reason we bought him was to add competition for the number 1 jersey.

The fact he is going to Napoli and as a loan player does not justify buying a new keeper and it blows the managers competition statement to pieces.

Do you put your stocking out for Father Christmas ST? It's silly to take things managers say at face value - particularly where players and transfers are concerned.

I wasn't arguing about whether Reina wanted away. I was arguing about whether Reina was being sold. (See my posts on the previous page.)

I want away from my job. I'm not leaving it. It would be a misjudgement on the part of my boss to replace me when I'm still under contract on the mere basis that I want away. Or have some vague hope of a better job.

Reina is under contract. The decision on whether he is sold and when is up to the manager. Your employment situation does not compare.

Reina is under contract. The decision on whether he is sold and when is up to the manager. Your employment situation does not compare.

Reina cannot be sold against his will. Anymore than my current employer can make me take another job against my will. For the same reason: we're both under contract.

To whom? You think Rodgers was turning down offers to sell him because he quite fancied the idea of loaning him instead?

No-one wants to pay a transfer fee and then match his massive wages. That's the reality. If they were prepared to do it then we wouldn't be agreeing to loan him.

We could keep him and Mignolet of course, and then have one of them majorly pissed off because chances are he'll lose his world cup spot due to being on our bench. Plus we'd either have a £9m signing sat on the bench or a 120k a week sub. Either way, not practical for a club that hasn't been in the CL for four years and needs to be financially prudent.

I don't like the idea of us loaning him out as I'd prefer it to be permanent. Maybe Napoli want to sign him and Pepe doesn't want to go for more than a year because Barca or Atletico have tipped him the wink that they want him in a year's time? There could be all kinds of things going on that we're not aware of.

The only real issue I have is that there is still plenty of time left in the window for us to try and force a permanent deal, but then if Pepe has something lined up for 12 months from now then he's not going to sign for anyone permanently this window is he?

Not saying that's the case, but it seems to be the most logical explanation.

I can live with loaning him to Napoli, but only if they are paying his full salary as let's face it, they can afford it.

How did this come about so? Napoli just decided to try a cheeky phone call and see if Liverpool would be willing to let a cash rich team have their goalkeeper on loan?

The only logical explanation I can think off for loaning him so early in the window is that FSG won't authorise another 100k wage until he's off the books, other than that it stinks of panic.

Reina cannot be sold against his will. Anymore than my current employer can make me take another job against my will. For the same reason: we're both under contract.

The situation Reina is in now is because Rodgers doesn't want him at the club. Reina could sit out his contract, or it could be paid off by the club, but the reality is in almost every case (Bogarde ) being one of the few I can think of in the recent past) players take the message and go. Reina's not going to sit on the bench for his club - he does enough of that for his country. Unless you are on a fixed term contract at work, your manager does not have the options available to Rodgers.

Dave U has posted a quite enlightening summary of the background to this chain of events on the MF.

The situation Reina is in now is because Rodgers doesn't want him at the club. Reina could sit out his contract, or it could be paid off by the club, but the reality is in almost every case (Bogarde ) being one of the few I can think of in the recent past) players take the message and go. Reina's not going to sit on the bench for his club - he does enough of that for his country. Unless you are on a fixed term contract at work, your manager does not have the options available to Rodgers.

Dave U has posted a quite enlightening summary of the background to this chain of events on the MF.

I am on a fixed term contract at work (four years), as is everyone where I live. I could be sidelined at work in a manner that would leave me in Reina's position (wasting my working life/capacity). Then it would be up to me whether to sit out my contract or find another job.

As for the last sentence, I need to put some money on Paypal and renew my Season Ticket. It expired last week...

Do you put your stocking out for Father Christmas ST? It's silly to take things managers say at face value - particularly where players and transfers are concerned.

On the same issue it dosent make any sense to buy a new goalkeeper when you have one who is better or as good as already here. The only reason I think that it would happen is if it was 100% known the keeper you already have is leaving.

The situation we have now really makes no sense to anybody especially if it is a loan deal for Reina. If Napoli buy him then the signing of a new keeper would turnout to be a wise move by the club but a loan dosent.

On the same issue it dosent make any sense to buy a new goalkeeper when you have one who is better or as good as already here. The only reason I think that it would happen is if it was 100% known the keeper you already have is leaving.

The situation we have now really makes no sense to anybody especially if it is a loan deal for Reina. If Napoli buy him then the signing of a new keeper would turnout to be a wise move by the club but a loan dosent.

if there has been some sort of arrangement between the club and Barcelona, then it makes perfect sense. We don't know what has been said between Rodgers and Reina, apart from the post in the MF. Your premise only stands up if Reina had not communicated any intent or inclination to move. I don't believe that to be the case.

if there has been some sort of arrangement between the club and Barcelona, then it makes perfect sense. We don't know what has been said between Rodgers and Reina, apart from the post in the MF. Your premise only stands up if Reina had not communicated any intent or inclination to move. I don't believe that to be the case.

If he going to barca they should have bought him and loaned him to Napoli.

Also how do we know loan was only option, we didn't exactly test clubs resolve did we.

As I have said I like Rodgers and want him here for a few years but there is no disguising he's handled this badly.

No, you're right, it's me who looks like the idiot.

Fuck off Suarez.

Please stay.

You fucker.

You legend.

Grrr.

Awww.

Why would I troll you? Who are you? Should I be trolling you? I'd hate to be missing out if you're someone important. Give me a clue.

???

Truly scary.

Its the heat i think.

If he going to barca they should have bought him and loaned him to Napoli.

Also how do we know loan was only option, we didn't exactly test clubs resolve did we.

As I have said I like Rodgers and want him here for a few years but there is no disguising he's handled this badly.

how do you know we haven't tested the resolve? Answer = you don't. Is he going to Barca? I/you don't know. What offers have the club received? I/you don't know. Which clubs did we/Reina/agent make aware of his availability? I/you don't know. Has he signed loan contract? I/you don't know.

So what (apart from some sort of agenda) is behind your certainty that Rodgers has handled 'this' badly? Like the deluded Tooth, you're coming to conclusions based on no knowledge of the facts.

Give or take Stevie & Carra, Pepe has been my favourite recent player, but I think this deal might work out well for all sides. We are saving a min. £2m over the season & getting a goalie who wants to be at LFC, has presumably been earmarked by the scouts and may not be available or may be dearer next season. Pepe gets a bit more love & his mates at Napoli & should shine in a league without crosses before taking his family home next year & we get the delayed fee.

Apologies to you mate I haven't been able to use computer or see any news the past couple of days. So I came on here first and jumped to the conclusion by the way everybody was going on about this loan deal, that is has happened.

I now find out that it is not a deal that has been done yet and so I was wrong in saying what I did.

Apologies to you mate I haven't been able to use computer or see any news the past couple of days. So I came on here first and jumped to the conclusion by the way everybody was going on about this loan deal, that is has happened.

I now find out that it is not a deal that has been done yet and so I was wrong in saying what I did.

no need to apologise mate - I'm sure something will happen over the next hours or days, so we can all kick off again

how do you know we haven't tested the resolve? Answer = you don't. Is he going to Barca? I/you don't know. What offers have the club received? I/you don't know. Which clubs did we/Reina/agent make aware of his availability? I/you don't know. Has he signed loan contract? I/you don't know.

So what (apart from some sort of agenda) is behind your certainty that Rodgers has handled 'this' badly? Like the deluded Tooth, you're coming to conclusions based on no knowledge of the facts.

When I said we didn't test there resolve I was referring to how quickly we agreed to loan him to them.

Most clubs when they have a player for sale do not agree to loan the player to first club that comes in for him so quickly and with so long left in window.

Rodgers has handled this badly by signing a replacement keeper without having a buyer for his current one.The team needs significant investment and he has used funds that were needed elsewhere on a position which could have waited until next summer to be done.

If we go in to next season short in any position Rodgers has to take blame as the money he needlessly used this summer to get mignolet could have been used on that area.