You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Pepe Reina to sign for Napoli on season-long loan - Liverpool Echo

Pepe Reina is on his way out of Liverpool with Napoli set to sign him on a season-long loan deal.

The Spaniard's eight-year stint as Reds No 1 is over after the club agreed to let him move to the Serie A outfit for the 2013/14 campaign.

Reina has accepted the opportunity to be reunited with former boss Rafa Benitez at the Stadio San Paolo and the temporary transfer is close to completion.

The 30-year-old's future at Anfield had looked increasingly uncertain ever since Brendan Rodgers signed goalkeeper Simon Mignolet for £9million from Sunderland last month.

Rodgers insisted Mignolet had been brought in to provide competition for Reina rather than replace him.

However, Reina's status as one of the club's highest earners on around £110,000 per week meant it was always unlikely that Liverpool's owners would accept the prospect of him staying around to warm the bench.

Reina, who has been on holiday following his international commitments at the Confederations Cup, was scheduled to fly to Australia this weekend to link up with the Liverpool squad for the second leg of their pre-season tour.

Instead he's expected to head for Italy to undergo a medical and complete his switch to last season's Serie A runners-up.

Liverpool have flown Academy keeper Danny Ward out to Melbourne to provide back-up to Mignolet and Brad Jones for the rest of the trip.

Benitez turned his attention to Reina after being frustrated in his attempts to sign Julio Cesar on a season-long loan deal from Queens Park Rangers.

Having initially registered their interest earlier this week, Napoli entered discussions with the Reds over a possible transfer and found them receptive to the idea of a loan spell.

Barcelona had been expected to launch a £8million bid to take Reina back to the Camp Nou earlier this summer with the shot-stopper's agent having informed Liverpool of the Catalans' interest.

However, Victor Valdes' decision to stay at Barca for the final year of his contract meant that failed to materialise.

With Mignolet certain to start the new season in goal, Reina has been looking for an alternative and Napoli, who can offer Champions League football, fit the bill.

Reina was close to Benitez during his six years in charge of Liverpool and will also relish being reunited with his former goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero.

He arrived at Anfield for £6million from Villarreal in 2005. He went on to help the Reds clinch the UEFA Super Cup and the FA Cup in his first season.

In three successive campaigns he landed the Premier League Golden Glove for most clean sheets as he established himself as one of the best keepers in world football.

However, in 2010/11 his form dipped and he has struggled to regain those high standards.

Reina still has three years of his lucrative contract to run but it appears highly unlikely he will add to the 394 appearances he has made for the Reds.

I can't pretend I'm best pleased with this. I love Pepe - a great footballer and a proper leader.

Still, £110k a week is a shitload of dough.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Judging from that, he was looking to move on but Barca didn't come in for him. Now Rafa came in so (presumably because he still wants to move to Barca next year) he went for it. We're obviously not too unhappy with that because he's on 5.7m a year. I think both parties would probably have preferred a quick sale.

We need to strengthen in areas, so we spend £10 million or so on a goalkeeper. Let the one we’ve got, an arguably better keeper go on loan to Napoli and also pay a percentage of his wages. Anyone explain, because at this late hour, I can’t see the sense in that.

well as far as I'm concerned its definately time for Pepe to move on, great servant to the club and a brilliant keeper from 2005-2010, less said about after the better imo and I hope the move rejuvenates him

Disappointing its only a loan in terms of fee etc but its obviously turned out to be the only course of action the club feel they can take at this point for whatever reason.

Good luck to Pepe and I'm confident we've got the right man for the present and future in Mignolet

We need to strengthen in areas, so we spend £10 million or so on a goalkeeper. Let the one we’ve got, an arguably better keeper go on loan to Napoli and also pay a percentage of his wages. Anyone explain, because at this late hour, I can’t see the sense in that.

No sense in this at all.

Unless this is all part of the master plan to make our squad weaker and cut our wage bill in which case it's a job well done.

I suppose the fact that Valdes is staying at Barca for one more year influences the decision here. FSG get Reina (partially) off our wage bill and Reina gets somewhere he's happy to be (with his old pals) while he's waiting for the deal he really wants.

I'm gutted. But then, I'm a sentimental old tart.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Bascombe:

"He travelled to Italy on Friday to be reunited with former manager Rafa Benitez. Liverpool will shave £4m a year off their wage bill should Reina agree terms but will hope to eventually make the deal permanent."

Terms not agreed yet, unless there's some new news about wages, so talk of paying 50% seems premature if they've not yet agreed a deal on wages.

Staggeringly poor move by lfc in transfer market, wtf have we spent 9m on a goalkeeper when we have a perfectly good one already,and then we loan him and don't even get our money back from replacement.

Absolutely shocking by lfc, we are a joke in transfer market and it seems we will never learn.

I know you're very respectful toward Reina, but don't you think we had other areas which required attention, a bit more than this one.

In some ways yes and in others no

What I mean by this is Pepe obviously has ability but he hasn't shown his true quality for a long time and has a times been a complete liability, we have other roles where we probably don't have the required quality we need to be where we want to be but at the same time these players probably wern't costing us as many points as an out of sort Pepe was

I remain hopeful that we will also address these issues, I'm not sure if we will as I'm still pretty much on the fence with regards to FSG although perhaps we already have done to an extent but no-one really knows what we're going to get with Aspas and Alberto yet so hopefully we'll bring in some more proven quality to give us that extra cushion

There are limits to what is reasonable to read between the lines.

I'll give you a hypothetical scenario. I give a free £50 bet and ask you on Monday just gone which is more plausible -

1 - We loan out Pepe Reina?

or

2 Rodgers gets sacked this season?

Reason has obviously gone out the window, this is as mental a transfer as I can ever remember. Nobody could convince me we couldn't find a buyer for Pepe Reina in the next 6 weeks. Stinks of panic.

Liverpool's Pepe Reina to sign for Napoli on season-long loan - Liverpool Echo

Pepe Reina is on his way out of Liverpool with Napoli set to sign him on a season-long loan deal.

The Spaniard's eight-year stint as Reds No 1 is over after the club agreed to let him move to the Serie A outfit for the 2013/14 campaign.

Reina has accepted the opportunity to be reunited with former boss Rafa Benitez at the Stadio San Paolo and the temporary transfer is close to completion.

The 30-year-old's future at Anfield had looked increasingly uncertain ever since Brendan Rodgers signed goalkeeper Simon Mignolet for £9million from Sunderland last month.

Rodgers insisted Mignolet had been brought in to provide competition for Reina rather than replace him.

However, Reina's status as one of the club's highest earners on around £110,000 per week meant it was always unlikely that Liverpool's owners would accept the prospect of him staying around to warm the bench.

Reina, who has been on holiday following his international commitments at the Confederations Cup, was scheduled to fly to Australia this weekend to link up with the Liverpool squad for the second leg of their pre-season tour.

Instead he's expected to head for Italy to undergo a medical and complete his switch to last season's Serie A runners-up.

Liverpool have flown Academy keeper Danny Ward out to Melbourne to provide back-up to Mignolet and Brad Jones for the rest of the trip.

Benitez turned his attention to Reina after being frustrated in his attempts to sign Julio Cesar on a season-long loan deal from Queens Park Rangers.

Having initially registered their interest earlier this week, Napoli entered discussions with the Reds over a possible transfer and found them receptive to the idea of a loan spell.

Barcelona had been expected to launch a £8million bid to take Reina back to the Camp Nou earlier this summer with the shot-stopper's agent having informed Liverpool of the Catalans' interest.

However, Victor Valdes' decision to stay at Barca for the final year of his contract meant that failed to materialise.

With Mignolet certain to start the new season in goal, Reina has been looking for an alternative and Napoli, who can offer Champions League football, fit the bill.

Reina was close to Benitez during his six years in charge of Liverpool and will also relish being reunited with his former goalkeeping coach Xavi Valero.

He arrived at Anfield for £6million from Villarreal in 2005. He went on to help the Reds clinch the UEFA Super Cup and the FA Cup in his first season.

In three successive campaigns he landed the Premier League Golden Glove for most clean sheets as he established himself as one of the best keepers in world football.

However, in 2010/11 his form dipped and he has struggled to regain those high standards.

Reina still has three years of his lucrative contract to run but it appears highly unlikely he will add to the 394 appearances he has made for the Reds.

I can't pretend I'm best pleased with this. I love Pepe - a great footballer and a proper leader.

Still, £110k a week is a shitload of dough.

got-the-runs-ronnie-meme-generator-you-ve-gotta-be-shitting-me-bfe4f1.jpg