You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

You made a statement that wasn't true. I responded. Get over it.

You seem to be struggling here, and I’m not really sure why as it’s quite simple.

You dismissed my view as “parroted disinformation”. There are two problems with that. First, you need to know that I am actually basing it on “disinformation”, which you don’t. Second, you can’t be approaching it from the same position yourself, and you are. We all are. We’re all just “parroting” and “regurgitating” stuff we’ve read. If you’d conducted your own scientific investigation into it then you’d be able to dismiss other’s views as “parroted”, but you haven’t, so you’re in the just the same boat as everyone else.

You then compounded this stupidity by suggesting that I go “read some books”. Well, ok, suppose I do go read some books. I mean, I’ve already read quite a few, but suppose I go read some more, and then come back with a new opinion. Well, guess what, it’s still fucking parroted you halfwit. You do see that, don’t you?

And then to top it all off you made up some stuff that I didn’t even say. In short, you’ve had an absolute fucking nightmare and posting little pictures only makes you look more of a hapless bellend.

Oh yes, I don't know how many people have noticed, but there's always some hilarious japester who likes to sling meatballs or beefburgers into the veggie freezer cabinet in the supermarket. Check it next time you're in Iceland or wherever.
I have to say I've never noticed that before, the closest thing is when my mates at school used to put beefburgers in my lunchbox.

Sorry I've joined the discussion late.

I'm a vegetarian and have been for about 15 years.

And I'm not even effeminate.

I'm interested in the way things like cooking have become genderised. The barbecue is the preserve of the male, whilst the oven is still the place for the woman. Further evidence of the way the media manipulate us into gender roles.

Eating meat is part of this gender conditioning. Eating meat is "masculinsed", whilst the alternative, not eating meat, is slightly fey.

Advertising for Burger KING (not Queen...), BIG Macs etc emphashise the maleness of eating animals.

And I'm afraid I'm too clever to fall for it.

I eat meat, but aside from the only half-serious points above, I don't care that people around me eat meat. I'm a vegetarian, not a weirdo. I can't go for this, "Place my veggie burger well away from the meat product" nonsense.

I don't eat meat as I don't think it's right. You do, so what.

It's not like you're a Tory or support that other team, is it? That would be the line.

Sorry, the above was written in a busy situation. Obviously it should have said "I DON'T eat meat, but aside..." ('Obviously' as, as I say, I am a vegetarian.)

But the rest of it is right, isn't it?

One thing to add: I hate going for meals with people I don't know and the menu has got limited/no vegetarian selections (or maybe it's just because you don't order meat). Anyway, you end up having to declare your vegetarianism.

It's then that they ask "Oh, why are you vegetarian?" (In other words - "Are you going to judge me?")

And the other classic "Oh, we don't eat much meat at all, do we Clive?"

In my experience, the main reason non-vegetarians don't like vegetarians is because they feel judged by them. I can understand that as there are some nuisance, over-zealous vegetarians out there.

But, do they also feel judged because deep down, they feel they're doing something wrong?

It's not the media that have conditioned us to think the eating meat is manly. Throughout history the strongest have ate meat while the weaklings have been left to gather nuts and berries. It's the way it's always been. Defo not a media invention.

Not that I'm saying you're girly if you don't eat meat and its not particularly manly to walk into a supermarket and buy a joint of beef but its the way it's always been throughout history. The strongest kill and eat meat while the weakest have to feed off the scraps.

Each to their own, anyway. It's not my business if someone doesn't want to eat meat.

Guest ShoePiss
It's not the media that have conditioned us to think the eating meat is manly. Throughout history the strongest have ate meat while the weaklings have been left to gather nuts and berries. It's the way it's always been. Defo not a media invention.

Not that I'm saying you're girly if you don't eat meat and its not particularly manly to walk into a supermarket and buy a joint of beef but its the way it's always been throughout history. The strongest kill and eat meat while the weakest have to feed off the scraps.

Each to their own, anyway. It's not my business if someone doesn't want to eat meat.

Agree, they just capitalise on it.

[YOUTUBE]j0xnfnVA74M[/YOUTUBE]

A fair point, Moofy - it's not they "invented" the idea that men should eat meat, they just perpetuate it as the status quo.

The media didn't invent dominant ideology, they just reinforce it. It serves the interests of powerful groups that human beings are encouraged to eat meat, and that men perceive the eating of meat to be a rite of passage way to assert their masculinity.

Young boys especially are vulnerable to the suggestion that their masculinity is at risk if they don't eat meat.

Some young boys can grow out of this, and become vegetarian, some young boys can grow out of this and despite understanding the cliched way that meat is marketed still choose to eat it for "health" reasons, and some young boys become men totally oblivious to the idea that their minds are being manipulated and exploited by big business and sneer at vegetarians as weak and effeminite.

I haven't read this thread (which is why I apologised for my late entrance) but I bet a pound to a penny that there's some posters banging on about eating meat and antagonising vegetarians.

If they aren't I apologise, but it would be a new experience for me!

Edit: just seen teh tag "vagitariansim" - tounge in cheek maybe, but still, I rest my case.

I've never quite understood why it is considered so manly. A 4 year old girl can eat meat. Sure killing an animal would be considered a bit more manly, especially if not using a gun, but how many would actually have the backbone to do that?

I've never quite understood why it is considered so manly. A 4 year old girl can eat meat. Sure killing an animal would be considered a bit more manly, especially if not using a gun, but how many would actually have the backbone to do that?

That's why I've stopped eating meat.

I couldn't kill a cow, chicken, lamb etc so I believe I shouldn't eat it.

Agree, they just capitalise on it.

[YOUTUBE]j0xnfnVA74M[/YOUTUBE]

There's a subtle subtext in this advert.

Can't quite put my finger on it though....

Bill Hicks called it right on advertising: if they (the advertisers) could get away with it, they'd just show a naked woman, legs spread, fingers holding her fanny open with the words 'Drink Coke' superimposed over the image.