You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

There's a subtle subtext in this advert.

Can't quite put my finger on it though....

Bill Hicks called it right on advertising: if they (the advertisers) could get away with it, they'd just show a naked woman, legs spread, fingers holding her fanny open with the words 'Drink Coke' superimposed over the image.

Well, at least that would have made for a more original communication.

Utter drivel that. Burger looks good though. Woman actually distracts from it.

• 6 months later...

Maybe think about getting some goats cheese and grilling that along with a bad ass salad.  Not talking 'salad' here, talking 'SALAD'.  Avocado, peppery leaves like rocket and just going for it.  Proper vinaigrette with top class olive oil, garlic and balsamic.  Get some pointed peppers and grill them stuffed with cheese.

Just make sure she's not adverse to taking all kinds of meat in her mouth, if you catch my drift... amirite? awyeah *brohoof*

• Upvote 1

All vegetarians are a bit shit 

I got you to -20. Not that I'm offended, just thought it was a better number!

Have been doing it for the last year or so, but wasn't 100% for a while. Mainly because I was taking fish oil capsules for omega-3, which was cut out several months back, and also found out that some sweets that I'd been munching on had gelatin in which was via animals after looking on the net. Haven't eaten any obvious meat products though.

Mainly posting because the strangest thing is that I've hardly missed meat at all. Started by eating quorn burgers, sausages, etc, and found that they were easily enough of a substitute for meat, after that it wasn't really a problem. Am a smoker though, so the exact taste of the meat wasn't something I ever really had anyway. The texture was the real issue, and I found that some of the chicken style quorn burgers actually had that texture sorted really well.

In the end I found that some quorn stuff has trans-fats, so I just basically fucked the stuff off, but by that point I'd got that into trying different veggie meals that it didn't really bother me. The thing that's really saved me has been my love for spicy food, and finding that curries work fine without meat after a while. Just some broccoli and cauliflower with onions, etc, and concentrating on making a decent sauce is easily good enough now.

For anyone new to it : yeah, you do have the odd time where someone has some meat and you feel like you could just eat some of it. The good thing though is that after a while it might not be a craving that really bothers you. You know you could eat some meat just because it'd taste nice, but often it might not be any type of real craving that causes you any issues, because you might realize that chomping on some meat for a few minutes (and knowing that any eating usually does only last a few minutes helps too, often you just get into eating something and you're either full or it's almost finished anyway.) isn't worth bringing an end to months of not eating meat, and a few seconds later you're not even bothered and off doing something else.

I said 'might' there a couple of times because that's just how it's been for me over the last 6 months or more. I get that for others it might be harder, but I think the stress from the craving would would pass in the same way for most people eventually.

Just saying in case it helps anyone anyway, I just kind of shrug at the whole issue I used to have now, it doesn't even occupy my mind much at all. Vegetable madras, vindaloo, etc, still has the spice and awesome sauce, I've been made to research food a lot more to know I'm getting some of the nutrients I'd need, and have also learnt how to cook a decent bit more, so it's worked out well so far. I get that I could eat meat at some point in the future, but I don't even really think about that, (and guess I'd be drunk or something anyway, and I rarely drink now either.) so I at least feel comfortable that I'll never be a regular eater of it again.

If you do go veggie though be careful from the off that you've done a bit of research, it might only take a few minutes looking on a few pages on the net to do that too. It's mainly because things like vitamin b12, which is only in meat usually, has to be taken via vitamin or supplement form. If you go without it you could get permanent nerve damage, so make sure you have that sorted before you start.

And to finish, no I don't look down on people that eat meat, etc, I think that whole issue is stupid to be honest.

• Upvote 4

I always liked you. 

I also take omega fish oil. 

And eat bacon and steak. 

you are not a cunt. most are. 

Haha, thanks. As for bacon, that's possibly the meat I miss the most. Maybe because it was one of the rare things I could actually taste decently when it was crispy.

> Being vegetarian

> still smoking

Kinell lid, your diet is boss and I'm mad for veggie / flexitarian diet (t'is my diet of choice) but still smoking cigarettes? It is 2013, get on the e-biffs lid.

But yeah, you are totally right in what you said about the veggie diet but being a veggie and smoking cigs is like eating salad but sticking plutonium up your japs-eye.

• Upvote 2

being a veggie and smoking cigs is like eating salad but sticking plutonium up your japs-eye.

Am still having some issues with that one too, but have just got more dr. pepper flavoured juice (for some weird reason it's turned out to be a favourite so far.) and will be having a decent go at it again shortly. Smoking has been way more of a struggle than the veggie thing, but hopefully it'll be cut out (or at least almost cut out.) in the near future.

• Upvote 1

Legend PP, thanks a lot. Brohoof across the miles for that. I hate goats cheese, I could do buffalo mozzarella though yeah ?

I'm sure she wants to manage some meat tomorrow !

You need to check the individual cheese.Alot of good chreses are not vegetarian.Most veggies I know are sick of bring served up goats cheese as its always on a veggie menu.
  • Upvote 1

What's your sources of protein?

Have used beans, chickpeas, cheese, nuts, and milk mainly. I still need to research it a bit more, but also use organic hemp protein powder and spirulina (which has every type of protein in it.) sometimes.

edit : gah, forgot eggs, they have plenty too.

It really amuses me the obsession with protein whilst having a complete lack of interest in how I obtain the rest of my minerals and vitamins. You should probably be more concerned about my Omega 12 levels or not take an interest whatsoever!

I have no interest whatsoever Rem...

You appear to be a fine figure of a man in all the pictures you post, so you're clearly doing OK.

• Upvote 1

I normally can't be arsed with these threads, and I probably should leave this as I'm extremely drunk, but for me, killing animals who can experience pain and fear just so you can eat their flesh, when you can easily exist without that, is wrong.

What the people who eat meat should say is they don't give a shit about animals and they eat them because they are selfish cunts and they like the taste. I woudn't agree with that, but I'd respect the honesty there. I'm also not a fan of the ' if you stop eating meat, someone else will and the animal will still be killed ' argument. I've lost days recently striking against pension cuts and job losses. Has it stopped them happening? Has it fuck. Will it stop it happening? No chance. It's the principle that counts, for me.

Instead, you mostly get, well wolves/bears/tigers or whatever the fuck kill, which is totally irrelevant as they do so out of necessity, or the other lame argument about them only existing because people eat meat. As if that is a valid excuse.

Similar to my view on it but I'm less of an idealist and more of a pragmatist. If there's animal products that are going to be thrown in the bin anyway I'll eat them. I'll never order or cook with animal products though. I'm ethically against killing anything that feels pain, but I abhor waste just as much.