You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

Gotta love the moment when Captain Obstinate (Cardie) realizes who is in agreement with, going against the grain (fnar) here .

God no i'm holding firm on veggie bacon. He was driving me to stick up for veggies over quorn and the like and i hate vegetarians but they have to get their protein somewhere as long as they don't shape it into bacon with bacon flavouring. They made their choice they should live with the consequences. Pompous and self righteous meat is murder carrot munching cunts that they are.

From a dietary point of, meat is just bad, mmmkay. Or, more accurately, red meat. Which is why I barely ever eat it, these days. Fish and vegetables for me please Bob.

Er... That's a whole lot of wrong. It's called a balanced diet, and not overindulging on red meat.

However, there is so much disinformation about animal fat, meats, butter, etc. that it's not surprising that someone parroted something like this...

Ha ha, fucking hell, so you're the definitive voice on it, are you, and any opinions that contradict yours are just "parroted disinformation"? Jesus Christ.

I'll assume that your views are formed through years of scientific study into the effects of eating red meat, then, rather than just the "parroted" views of others, shall I?

Edited by Duff Man

My missus is a vegetebalarian. She kicked off at me once for refusing to eat 'dog' at a restaurant (but that's another story).

I'm an avowed carnivore but I get vegetablarianism - I had an epiphany once that it was the truly humane choice and almost a step up the evolutionary scale. But as a regressive carnivore, I'll let someone else do that on my behalf. Life without lamb an mint would be as hollow as a chilli pepper.

I've said it on here before but the missus and I only eat meat at a weekend and then not very much. I started doing it years ago, for health, financial and environmental/ethical reasons and I eat better now then I ever have done. There are some brilliant veggie recipes about, the River Cottage Veg and Simon Rimmer's Accidental Vegetarian books are good, off the top of my head.

I'm a better cook for doing it too, we're always looking for new recipes to try and I've eaten way more veg then I ever would have. For the first year we got a seasonal, local veg box which also really helped to raise our awareness of what different things there are, I'd fully recommend signing up to a local scheme, particularly if you can find one that puts recipe ideas in with your box each week (or fortnight like us).

It's ridiculous (but then it is Simon) to suggest it's all or nothing with regards to Vegetarianism, it depends on the reasons you're doing it.

As for Quorn/other, we tried a few bits when we first started on this and found most of them to be pretty poor substitutes other than the 'Southern Style' burgers which are really tasty with the added bonus of not having chicken beaks in.

Ha ha, fucking hell, so you're the definitive voice on it, are you, and any opinions that contradict yours are just "parroted disinformation"? Jesus Christ.

I'll assume that your views are formed through years of scientific study into the effects of eating red meat, then, rather than just the "parroted" views of others, shall I?

Do some research. Read some books (not penned by people with non-meat or eat meat agenda). Read some Studies (not penned by people with a non-meat or eat meat agenda).

Don't take my word for it. I'd never suggest that when concerning dietary concerns/health/well-being.

I can tell that you that I'd never remove red meat and other meat sources from my diet after arming myself with knowledge.

Do I mind/respect vegetarians? Eh... Don't really care about it, really. They can have butter and eggs. I could subsist on butter, eggs, and fruit/veggies... so I can't really argue with that.

So, no, I'm not just suggesting that anything that I don't 'do' is parroted disinformation, but I will say that Vegans have been slamming the internet with skewed information and it's difficult for people wanting to go Vegetarian to get appropriate information.

However, saying that red meat is bad for your health has been argued/studied/broken down time and time again, but it's never been conclusive... (Despite various studies suggesting otherwise) --- So yes, it's part of the diet that helped changed us from Simians, and shouldn't be considered harmful to your diet, in moderation, until positively proven otherwise.

(Oddly enough, you tended to ignore the "mercury" issue when suggesting 'more fish')

Do some research. Read some books (not penned by people with non-meat or eat meat agenda). Read some Studies (not penned by people with a non-meat or eat meat agenda).

Don't take my word for it. I'd never suggest that when concerning dietary concerns/health/well-being.

I can tell that you that I'd never remove red meat and other meat sources from my diet after arming myself with knowledge.

Do I mind/respect vegetarians? Eh... Don't really care about it, really. They can have butter and eggs. I could subsist on butter, eggs, and fruit/veggies... so I can't really argue with that.

So, no, I'm not just suggesting that anything that I don't 'do' is parroted disinformation, but I will say that Vegans have been slamming the internet with skewed information and it's difficult for people wanting to go Vegetarian to get appropriate information.

However, saying that red meat is bad for your health has been argued/studied/broken down time and time again, but it's never been conclusive... (Despite various studies suggesting otherwise) --- So yes, it's part of the diet that helped changed us from Simians, and shouldn't be considered harmful to your diet, in moderation, until positively proven otherwise.

(Oddly enough, you tended to ignore the "mercury" issue when suggesting 'more fish')

Jesus Christ, where to begin with all that. First off, I've done quite a lot of research, thanks. How on earth would you know what I've read or not read?

Secondly, you claimed that my opinion was "parroted disinformation" and "a whole lot of wrong", so it's a more than a little strange, not to mention disingenuous, that you follow it up with "I'd never suggest taking my word concerning dietary concerns". Doesn't really make much sense, that, does it? You're basically saying 'don't listen to me, but you're wrong'.

It seems to me like you've done just what I have; read some books, looked at some research and formed an opinion. The only difference is that you then blunder around telling others that there's is wrong and "parroted disinformation". And again, aren't you also just regurgitating what you've read? Unless of course you have conducted your own scientific research into it.

Thirdly, regarding fish, what the fuck are you on about? I said I eat it. That's all. How is that, in anyway, "ignoring the mercury issue".

Very odd.

I love meat. I'd gladly kill a cow just to eat its sirloin (whatever that is) or its rump.

I'm fairly clueless when it comes to stuff like this but I'd love to see the relationship between eating meat and human evolution.

Jesus Christ, where to begin with all that. First off, I've done quite a lot of research, thanks. How on earth would you know what I've read or not read?

Secondly, you claimed that my opinion was "parroted disinformation" and "a whole lot of wrong", so it's a more than a little strange, not to mention disingenuous, that you follow it up with "I'd never suggest taking my word concerning dietary concerns". Doesn't really make much sense, that, does it? You're basically saying 'don't listen to me, but you're wrong'.

It seems to me like you've done just what I have; read some books, looked at some research and formed an opinion. The only difference is that you then blunder around telling others that there's is wrong and "parroted disinformation". And again, aren't you also just regurgitating what you've read? Unless of course you have conducted your own scientific research into it.

Thirdly, regarding fish, what the fuck are you on about? I said I eat it. That's all. How is that, in anyway, "ignoring the mercury issue".

Very odd.

No, I said 'stop spouting baseless shite'.

Well thats one way to take a long time to say nothing.

Sorry but this the archetypal "bro-science" post. Quasi-informed nothingness which is moulded around a pre-formed opinion.

Perhaps you could link us to some reputable scientific studies and journals which dispel the notion of red meat being bad for you? After all you stormed into the discussion absolutely convinced.

As the other poster said, if you want to say something is wrong about a heavily researched (and readily researchable) subject then back up your opinion.

Edit: I'm not saying your wrong, i'm just saying your posts were silly.

As the other poster said, if you want to say something is wrong about a heavily researched (and readily researchable) subject then back up your opinion.

Edit: I'm not saying your wrong, i'm just saying your posts were silly.

The reason that I did not is that you can't convince someone on an internet forum, when they feel that they're correct. The only thing you can do is suggest to go learn about it... and if they do? They'll probably still not change their opinion. (EDIT: The one thing that I've learned from TLW over the years. )

What would be the point of turning this thread into a debate that'll essentially do nothing?

There is enough information, without agenda, to form an opinion either way... but there has never been conclusive proof of it being harmful in moderation. If he wants it to be true, then he can just look up/pull up Vegan facttoids based on biased studies and regurgitate them all over this thread. All I can do is point at the source, which wouldn't convince him of anything...

He stated that red meat was bad for you. It's never been proven to be bad for you, and it's part of our diet during our split in the Miocene epoch.

The reason that I did not is that you can't convince someone on an internet forum, when they feel that they're correct. The only thing you can do is suggest to go learn about it... and if they do? They'll probably still not change their opinion. (EDIT: The one thing that I've learned from TLW over the years. )

What would be the point of turning this thread into a debate that'll essentially do nothing?

There is enough information, without agenda, to form an opinion either way... but there has never been conclusive proof of it being harmful in moderation. If he wants it to be true, then he can just look up/pull up Vegan facttoids based on biased studies and regurgitate them all over this thread. All I can do is point at the source, which wouldn't convince him of anything...

He stated that red meat was bad for you. It's never been proven to be bad for you, and it's part of our diet during our split in the Miocene epoch.

Thanks. All we really need to close an unnecessary argument, as you say.

Now, mine's a medium-rare.

Unrighteous reads some stuff, forms an opinion and regurgitates it, and it's absolutely and unequivocally true.

Somebody else does the same, having come to a different conclusion, and it's dismissed as "parroted disinformation", even though the person dismissing it has absolutely no idea what information was used to form that opinion.

Are you actually trying to make yourself look like a cunt on this thread, because you're doing a fucking good job.

Unrighteous reads some stuff, forms an opinion and regurgitates it, and it's absolutely and unequivocally true.

Somebody else does the same, having come to a different conclusion, and it's dismissed as "parroted disinformation", even though the person dismissing it has absolutely no idea what information was used to form that opinion.

Are you actually trying to make yourself look like a cunt on this thread, because you're doing a fucking good job.

I hope this wasn't directed at me, because I wasn't calling anyone names or belittling their opinions.

I randomly chose something Unrighteous said and used it for my own purposes, in jest, because I like eating read meat.

I do believe, on the balance of what little I know, that there isn't conclusive proof of red meat being bad for you in moderation.

But I fully admit, I probably wouldn't believe that as strongly if I didn't love red meat. Or if my father wasn't a butcher.