You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

I do believe, on the balance of what little I know, that there isn't conclusive proof of red meat being bad for you in moderation.

Moderation in all things, eh? Which is pretty much my take on what I eat and drink but that wouldnt make for much of a debate, would it. Have always been a bit suspicious of extreme views of any kind

Where's the option for I am a veggie, but I'm seriously considering jacking it in, because basically we're omnivores, if we didn't eat meat we'd have virtually no animals/traditional English countryside, meat tastes good and I'm cooking it all the time for the kids anyway?

I think for me (no wider implications) it was a way of asserting a bit of independence and identity as a teenager 20+ years back, on the grounds I like animals and dob't want to eat them.

I no longer need/believe in it now though really - it's a habit I've decided to shake, but haven't quite kicked yet.

Where's the option for I am a veggie, but I'm seriously considering jacking it in, because basically we're omnivores, if we didn't eat meat we'd have virtually no animals/traditional English countryside, meat tastes good and I'm cooking it all the time for the kids anyway?

I think for me (no wider implications) it was a way of asserting a bit of independence and identity as a teenager 20+ years back, on the grounds I like animals and dob't want to eat them.

I no longer need/believe in it now though really - it's a habit I've decided to shake, but haven't quite kicked yet.

The vote options are pretty gash really. I'm a big believer in the flexitarian diet where you don't have to eat meat to have a nice meal.

To be honest though if you've not eaten meat for 20 years, that is pretty hardcore. You must have rode through the dark-ages where every restaurant you went to had the veggie option of 'veg lasagna'.

I was only full veggie for about 2 years and even now the idea of lasagna makes me want to hurl. Of course now it is a lot better.

All the veggies I know including myself aren't fussed about what eat meaters eat. We have our own diet and the multiple ethical sub-decisions about what we eat within that i.e do we eat fish, gelatine, wear leather or suede, veggie cheese, free range eggs and so on. I am not sure I've ever met a militant vegetarian and while I am sure that a few exist, they are far more rare than is ever suggested - I think it's a myth. The same cannot be said about a minority of meaters who are outraged that I don't like to eat certain food, preach to me about what I should be eating and where do I get my protein from and seem to interpret my choice as an attack on their eating habits. The same jokes and comments always follow (in a similar way to Scouse jokes), so please forgive us if we don't laugh at a truly unoriginal joke told for the 300th time (an example of a good one was when Gordon Ramsey replied to the question of what is the vegetarian option? with ' to fuck off').

When veggies retort to these easy to pick apart attacks and start having a go back at meaters and dissecting their ethics, we suddenly are seen as militant, which isn't true.

Simon, I don't agree with your views on Quorn by the way, not sure where you got that idea from. I don't eat Quorn very often as being a lifelong veggie, I don't hanker for the taste of meat. However, I do occasionally buy veggie sausages and mince for making Lasagne and am not against buying some of the other items in the Quorn range should I take a fancy.

All the veggies I know including myself aren't fussed about what eat meaters eat. We have our own diet and the multiple ethical sub-decisions about what we eat within that i.e do we eat fish, gelatine, wear leather or suede, veggie cheese, free range eggs and so on. I am not sure I've ever met a militant vegetarian and while I am sure that a few exist, they are far more rare than is ever suggested - I think it's a myth. The same cannot be said about a minority of meaters who are outraged that I don't like to eat certain food, preach to me about what I should be eating and where do I get my protein from and seem to interpret my choice as an attack on their eating habits. The same jokes and comments always follow (in a similar way to Scouse jokes), so please forgive us if we don't laugh at a truly unoriginal joke told for the 300th time (an example of a good one was when Gordon Ramsey replied to the question of what is the vegetarian option? with ' to fuck off').

When veggies retort to these easy to pick apart attacks and start having a go back at meaters and dissecting their ethics, we suddenly are seen as militant, which isn't true.

Simon, I don't agree with your views on Quorn by the way, not sure where you got that idea from. I don't eat Quorn very often as being a lifelong veggie, I don't hanker for the taste of meat. However, I do occasionally buy veggie sausages and mince for making Lasagne and am not against buying some of the other items in the Quorn range should I take a fancy.

Sure i remember talking about it with you and you said you could see where i was coming from.

Sure i remember talking about it with you and you said you could see where i was coming from.
I've discussed veggie stuff with you loads in the past and you'v represented yourself loads better on Facebook, sending me Veggie recipes and stuff. I agree with your views on waste and people not knowing what's in their food though.

I'm pretty much a racist veggie. I only eat the white meats. White is alright. I have always been flexitarian, spending days or weeks without eating meat. I love cooking and veg is always part of my diet. I have no real desire to gorge myself on disgusting pork/beef/horsedick products so I only eat fishies and chickens. I don't really see what the big deal is. Meat isn't an addiction like cigarettes or heroin. If you don't want to be a fat fucking ham-bone, stop eating red meat.

Yeah thats me, I was veggie/fishy for 7 years, trying to make sure I ate an egg a day but then when I broke up wiv me berd tha slag I went to KFC and ate chicken in me slippers and continued ever since eating chicken. Chicken. Think about it. Peter Price will be rolling his golden virginia in his grave cos thats just how he rolls. They hatin.

The same cannot be said about a minority of meaters who are outraged that I don't like to eat certain food, preach to me about what I should be eating and where do I get my protein from and seem to interpret my choice as an attack on their eating habits.

Oh yes, I don't know how many people have noticed, but there's always some hilarious japester who likes to sling meatballs or beefburgers into the veggie freezer cabinet in the supermarket. Check it next time you're in Iceland or wherever.

Oh yes, I don't know how many people have noticed, but there's always some hilarious japester who likes to sling horsemeat into the meatballs or beefburgers you find in the freezer cabinet in the supermarket. Check it next time you're in Tesco or wherever.

Word.