You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vegetarianism

King Emlyn

Are you a vegetarian?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a vegetarian?

• Yes, meat is murder
    • No, I love meat me
    • I should consider it really
    • I have no intention of ever entertaining the idea

I would hate to become a vegetarian. Don't get me wrong, I like and do eat a fair bit of vegetarian food, but I prefer to mix it up and be able to eat meat. My folks have both been veggies for the past few years having decided to be a bit more devout with Hinduism, but they don't mind at all that I eat meat as they recognise it is my choice to make. I've always considered being vegetarian to mean the exclusion of eggs and fish (and any products containing these or ingredients derived from them) as well as meat because that is basically how I've grown up to understand it. 'Pure vegetarian' is how it's labelled these days.

Vegetarianism should be pure imo.

No - I am saying for consumption. Wild kill for personal consumption.

I'm not quite sure what you're driving at....if the question is directed to me, I am more than happy to eat wild kill. In fact, it would probably be my preferred option, only I live in a town and am a self-confessed townie in that I feel squeamish about killing things (I try to avoid killing insects even) but would be happy to eat something someone else had killed

Btw, even though I'm a meat eater I think Indian veggie stuff is brilliant. Channa Masala, Aloo Jeera, all sorts of tandoori veg get regularly ordered in my house, some of its piss easy to make too. I'd definitely recommend getting an Indian vegetarian cookbook, huge variety of food that isn't bland or boring.

I'm not quite sure what you're driving at....if the question is directed to me, I am more than happy to eat wild kill. In fact, it would probably be my preferred option, only I live in a town and am a self-confessed townie in that I feel squeamish about killing things (I try to avoid killing insects even) but would be happy to eat something someone else had killed

Not really at you - more as a point in the discussion as it seems many who have a problem with animals that are farmed for consumption are ok with wild kill.

Btw, even though I'm a meat eater I think Indian veggie stuff is brilliant. Channa Masala, Aloo Jeera, all sorts of tandoori veg get regularly ordered in my house, some of its piss easy to make too. I'd definitely recommend getting an Indian vegetarian cookbook, huge variety of food that isn't bland or boring.

Indian, Thai, Italian even bloody French.

There are thousands of amazing meat free recipes out there, they just don't have to have a meat substitute in.* I don't like quorn or meat substitutes and avoid them at all costs but it doesn't stop veggies eating great meals.

*Feels like I'm preaching to the veggies when Si isn't listening.

I can't stand 'eggplant' or mushrooms.

I also hunt game at an ethical local hunt where friends use their dogs for conesrvation work.

Is it a texture thing? I can eat aubergines, as I like to call them, but cant bring myself to eat what I call 'wet' mushrooms. I have, however, learned to like fried mushrooms

Now I know that I said some of the Quorn stuff has turned out to be ok (I wasnt going to ask Missy to eat the stuff if I wasnt prepared to eat it myself) but surely no-one that likes meat and has no objection to eating it would ever choose to eat Quorn instead of meat?

Me

Si, you've mentioned your menu includes soups, stews etc that are suitable for vegetarians. Given your stance on pure vegetarianism, am I to assume that you DON'T use chicken stock in them? It's amazing how many restaurants claim to cater for vegetarians yet they merely assume that an absence of meat is all it takes. They don't seem to realise that using chicken stock in a vegetarian dish defeats the point somewhat, even if it does taste nice.

Incidentally, here's a cracking veggie recipe for anyone who's interested. I've tried this and think it's great, but I suppose you have to not mind eating vegetarian food from time to time to appreciate it as a meal in itself rather than just an accompaniment.

[YOUTUBE]r1FxWvAe0rE[/YOUTUBE]

Si, you've mentioned your menu includes soups, stews etc that are suitable for vegetarians. Given your stance on pure vegetarianism, am I to assume that you DON'T use chicken stock in them? It's amazing how many restaurants claim to cater for vegetarians yet they merely assume that an absence of meat is all it takes. They don't seem to realise that using chicken stock in a vegetarian dish defeats the point somewhat, even if it does taste nice.

True mate they will be pure vegetarianism.

Agreed but Vegies lecture everyone look down protest and preach to everyone. Like there better people. Meat eaters don't. Not all but some

The ones I know dont. As was said earlier, there are always militants on both sides of an argument

Agreed but Vegies lecture everyone look down protest and preach to everyone. Like there better people. Meat eaters don't. Not all but some

Si I'm sorry but you're talking bollocks now.

There are people spouting shite on both sides of the debate. The fact the vast majority of people are meat eaters would suggest the majority of people talking shite are meat eaters.

Judging by this evenings debate anyway.

Si I'm sorry but you're talking bollocks now.

There are people spouting shite on both sides of the debate. The fact the vast majority of people are meat eaters would suggest the majority of people talking shite are meat eaters.

Judging by this evenings debate anyway.

Didnt say all

I could never do it nor would I wish to do it.

Quite simply there are far too many meats & fish that taste awesome.

There are certain things I don't agree with such as destructive fishing, the shark fin trade and battery chickens so I avoid them.

I buy majority of my meat from local butchers and when I don't (mostly chicken) it has to be free range.

Cauldron foods are the best of the meat free range.

There are alot of simple dishes than you can do in seconds that will go great with the normal roast,meat+veg dinner in veggie cooking.

Stuffed mushrooms,figgy apples(not just for xmas),stuffed peppers,Sheperds pie with soya,lentil rissoles,kidney bean kievs etc.

Most are much healthier than the meat alternative.

You end up having to learn when your mum and sister are veggie

You forgot the bit where I said that she doesnt really like vegetables....although I do agree with the point you make. She seems less concerned about variety in her food then me and has been eating a lot of tomato sauce based meals (and I dont mean ketchup!)