You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Got asked to come into work today, we have a joint fortnightly catch-up with our other office on Teams usually so was a bit odd that we had to come in. We were told that my line manager had committed suicide last week. To say it was a shock is a bit of an understatement, some took it really badly. He was suffering from Crohn's disease and had a few other linked issues but at no point did he look like he was contemplating it nor did anyone think he would do it. He'd just wedded off his daughter a couple of weeks ago too. A terrible loss of life and it just shows you that you don't know what people are going through if they don't tell you or if you aren't paying attention.

A nasty thing Crohns. Poor fella.

12 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Got asked to come into work today, we have a joint fortnightly catch-up with our other office on Teams usually so was a bit odd that we had to come in. We were told that my line manager had committed suicide last week. To say it was a shock is a bit of an understatement, some took it really badly. He was suffering from Crohn's disease and had a few other linked issues but at no point did he look like he was contemplating it nor did anyone think he would do it. He'd just wedded off his daughter a couple of weeks ago too. A terrible loss of life and it just shows you that you don't know what people are going through if they don't tell you or if you aren't paying attention.

That’s a shocker. We just never really know what might be happening inside someone’s head, or what might trigger them to make the decision to end their life. Even if they share a bit, it’s still difficult to really see. 

Just what this poor man must have been going through is difficult to comprehend. 

RIP

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Bloody hell mate that's awful. Sorry to hear this. 

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

A nasty thing Crohns. Poor fella.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

That’s a shocker. We just never really know what might be happening inside someone’s head, or what might trigger them to make the decision to end their life. Even if they share a bit, it’s still difficult to really see. 

Just what this poor man must have been going through is difficult to comprehend. 

RIP

Yeah, there was no indication at all. He went off sick a couple of weeks ago and was keeping in touch with his manager. He looked completely dumbstruck by it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

5109CAB5-9AC7-4B90-A1FD-70E6A56CB6CF.jpegThey are now tagging laminated signs to bridges in London aimed at potential suicides.  Similarly the railway’s employ ‘welfare’ staff at various stations where there are fast through trains to spot potential jumpers I’ve lived and worked down here for decades including 2 financial crashes and I haven’t seen this sort of thing before. Either we are becoming more aware of the issue or the rate of suicide is getting worse. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

5109CAB5-9AC7-4B90-A1FD-70E6A56CB6CF.jpegThey are now tagging laminated signs to bridges in London aimed at potential suicides.  Similarly the railway’s employ ‘welfare’ staff at various stations where there are fast through trains to spot potential jumpers I’ve lived and worked down here for decades including 2 financial crashes and I haven’t seen this sort of thing before. Either we are becoming more aware of the issue or the rate of suicide is getting worse. 

They have samaritans signs at either end of the Runcorn bridge that have been there for a good while. I'm not sure what the suicide rate is compared to say 10 years ago but I'm all for things like this. Sometimes people just need reminding that no matter how lost and lonely they think they are, there is always someone willing to listen and there is always a solution.

I've just found them and they're god botherer's, but if it works for some then so be it. 

https://www.uckg.org/beatdepressionuk/

I think awareness has grown. I don't know what the suicide rates are but I reckon depression has definitely skyrocketed. I mean, how could it not?

Mental health is paid mainly lip service in this country. I heard an advert on the radio before which said "If you're feeling down, talk to a friend." Followed by stories about Covid, Ukraine and economic oblivion.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

They've been popping up around here, banners attached over roads, on footbridges and on railings.

Be kind to each other, love one another, there is a way, talk to someone and such.

I don't know if these banners are a church thing or one of the mental health support groups, but bravo whoever it is.

The way things are going I fear there's going to be an explosion of cases of depression. Even though people are more aware than they were there's still a long way to go.

Mental health has been the poor relation in regard to healthcare in this country for far too long and that needs to change. Fast.

I just looked it up, the suicide rate is slightly up but hard to tell becuase of Covid deaths distorting all mortality statistics. It’s about 5,500 per year and 75% are men. We had one in our family decades ago, hung himself and was found by the teenage daughter. I don’t think she ever recovered. As men, we need to talk to each other more. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I just looked it up, the suicide rate is slightly up but hard to tell becuase of Covid deaths distorting all mortality statistics. It’s about 5,500 per year and 75% are men. We had one in our family decades ago, hung himself and was found by the teenage daughter. I don’t think she ever recovered. As men, we need to talk to each other more. 

On here that mainly means calling someone a cunt.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think those things are more like nudge theory, aimed at those potentially in the build up to an episode. A lot of people who top themselves go to somewhere they know to do it. If you're spiralling down, and constantly walking past such a spot, that card - however small a token - could make the difference.

Fair point.

Though, I think once a person who truly wants to end their own life will. The ones that change their mind, it's possibly a cry for help. I'm no expert mind.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I think those things are more like nudge theory, aimed at those potentially in the build up to an episode. A lot of people who top themselves go to somewhere they know to do it. If you're spiralling down, and constantly walking past such a spot, that card - however small a token - could make the difference.

Thats the last thing anyone needs on a bridge

Someone (might have been @YorkshireRed ?) posted a music video on the Bridges thread of suicides on The Golden Gate Bridge. Haunted me, still does to this day. Life should not be like this. 

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thats the last thing anyone needs on a bridge

Someone (might have been @YorkshireRed ?) posted a music video on the Bridges thread of suicides on The Golden Gate Bridge. Haunted me, still does to this day. Life should not be like this. 

Wasn’t me but you’re right. It’s haunting and should make us feel ashamed. Not specifically for those poor souls who jumped, but because we are part of a world that, on the whole, just shrugs it’s shoulders and moves on. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

Wasn’t me but you’re right. It’s haunting and should make us feel ashamed. Not specifically for those poor souls who jumped, but because we are part of a world that, on the whole, just shrugs it’s shoulders and moves on. 

Sorry nit sure why i thought it was you, I don't really fancy going back and looking right now. 

You're spot on. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Fair point.

Though, I think once a person who truly wants to end their own life will. The ones that change their mind, it's possibly a cry for help. I'm no expert mind.

I would be fascinated to know how many attempted suicide attempts are fatal and how many of those were intended to be. My guess would be that the numbers of people completing suicide are tiny compared to the numbers carrying out suicidal plans.

My experience suggests that there is a large group of people who make frequent attempts at suicide and that anything that breaks into those thought processes has to be worth trying

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Champ said:

I would be fascinated to know how many attempted suicide attempts are fatal and how many of those were intended to be. My guess would be that the numbers of people completing suicide are tiny compared to the numbers carrying out suicidal plans.

My experience suggests that there is a large group of people who make frequent attempts at suicide and that anything that breaks into those thought processes has to be worth trying

I know a few lads that have committed suicide and the story is eerily similar. Their close friends, family, etc said post suicide how they were in contact not long before the act and that the bloke in question showed no distress or emotional behaviour. It's as though they make the decision and are at peace with it, whereas a lot of the people that attempt suicide (but ultimately fail) are the exact opposite.

Very small sample size from my perspective of course.