You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

As discussed in another thread, castles are fucking ace. They're so much more than ruined buildings. Because there are such reliable records where buildings are concerned we know exactly what happened in and around them, when, who was involved and so on. The Heritage organisations usually do a belting job of providing historic information and just to walk around in one of those thinks and to soak in the stories is always an amazing experience for me, and one which stays with me for ages.

What are the best castles you've been to?

My favourites would be:

Conwy, North Wales:

conwy.jpg

Rochester, kent:

Rochester_castle.jpg

Warwick:

Warwick_Castle_Interior_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1326133.jpg

I do like a good castle myself. I like the whole spectrum from pretty much near ruins like Helmsley Castle in North Yorkshire (sorry, cant be arsed to find pictures) where you get to wander round pretty much unhindered and you're pretty much left to your own imagination through the likes of Bamburgh (a great shout, Jairzinho, and the walk out to Lindisfarne) to the Warwick Castle type 'experience. Although, having said that, today I'd probably lump for the more ruined variety with a few explanation boards

Those pictures of Conwy and Rochester castles look great, Lurtz

I do like a good castle myself. I like the whole spectrum from pretty much near ruins like Helmsley Castle in North Yorkshire (sorry, cant be arsed to find pictures) where you get to wander round pretty much unhindered and you're pretty much left to your own imagination through the likes of Bamburgh (a great shout, Jairzinho, and the walk out to Lindisfarne) to the Warwick Castle type 'experience. Although, having said that, today I'd probably lump for the more ruined variety with a few explanation boards

Those pictures of Conwy and Rochester castles look great, Lurtz

Is that a direct quote from Melons' book on picking up men?

I'd recommend Skipton too. That there tree was planted in 1659 and is slap bang in the middle of the inner courtyard. Very Minus Tirith.

562.jpg

Also Lincoln which I like as Lincolnshire is completely flat apart from a smegging great hill in the middle of the city which they built a castle on, so the views on a good day are incredible. It was used as a prison, I think during the C18th and there's some great stuff to see. The cathedral opposite the castle is also pretty ace. Lincoln is well smart.:

Site---Lincoln-Castle-600w.gif

My best mate got married in Bamburgh Castle. It was ace, was December time snowy and all round mega. At least the bits I can remember seemed ace, I was very, very drunk at the time.

The Lindisfarne Mead and various Lindisfarne wines had a major impact on my recollections of the weekend.

Also of much interest up our way.

Warkworth Castle

warkworth_castle_470x376.jpg

Chillingham Castle (supposedly one of the most haunted places in Britain if you believe in that stuff).

chillingham.jpg

Dunstanburgh Castle

dunstanburgh_castle.jpg

Alnwick Castle

alnwick_castle.jpg

Is Warkworth near a river? I remember watching a programme years ago in which Jack Charlton was talking about Warkworth being one of his favourite places but I have a picture in my head of him down by a river. I've driven by the sign on the A1 loads of times and always think I should go

Guest ShoePiss
You can thank this geezer for the plethora of castles in Wales.

king-edward-i-portrait-reigned-1272-1307.jpg

You must be pissed off with living with no castles over there...

[YOUTUBE]OV2PbKpsMRk[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, I remember being told to check out Hearst Castle on the central California coast and discovered this :-

0_35014400_1338910757.jpg

Not a castle and not quite 100 years old. The first thing I thought was oh so that's what they did with Wembley's twin towers.

Loch Leven isn't much as a Castle but it's the gaff that Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in and escaped from. Worth a gander for the boat ride across at least.

Lochleven-Castle.jpg

Neuschwanstein Castle in Southern Germany is one I wanna go to at some point. Inspiration behind the one Disney used in Sleeping Beauty etc. Some boss photos on it's wiki page listed below but just looks brilliant.

563_o.jpg

Neuschwanstein_Castle_Winter_Wallpaper-728x546.jpg

Neuschwanstein Castle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia