You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

Most of his goals are boring though. Look at the hat trick he scored yesterday. There is nothing exciting about any of them and most of his goals are like that. Again, I don't underestimate his effectiveness or the value of his goals. But Suarez and the Brazilian Ronaldo are/were far more exciting to watch.

The simple minded usually require high impact visuals.

The deeper thinkers can find beauty in more subtle arts.

• Upvote 4

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

The simple minded usually require high impact visuals.

The deeper thinkers can find beauty in more subtle arts.

Please tell me you're joking with this.

Ronaldo could do a million step overs and score 5 goals a game but he'd never have me in the edge of my seat like Suarez would.

• Upvote 2

Please tell me you're joking with this.

Ronaldo could do a million step overs and score 5 goals a game but he'd never have me in the edge of my seat like Suarez would.

But this isn't a comparison between players. This is about Ronaldo. I don't find watching a world class player boring. I get as much pleasure watching a superb defender as I do watching a superb striker.

And I can find myself on the edge of my seat just as much at shocking mistakes as I can with outstanding skill, so for me the 'excitement' part is distinctly different than the skill part (but great if you get both together).

Watching Suarez is like watching the Sopranos. Morally grey, blood and bodies everywhere, immense highs, gutting lows. A slow, gnawing sense of anticipation and excitement

Watching Ronaldo is like watching the Transformers. A big polished, hulking robot taking his 20 shots so he can convert 3 of them. Beep Boop. 

• Upvote 10

I don't get how there is even a debate about this, he's a top 5 of all time. Just because he scores goals which aren't always strike of the season contenders, doesn't take anything away from him. He's unique and he's now at a level where it's a shock to the world when he doesn't score. How many players can that be said about?

He's as box office as football gets IMO, I'd tune in just to see him. No matter who comes into Madrid he still remains the best player by the figurative mile.

I get the many aspects to dislike him for, not that I share them - but trying to suggest he is anything but one of the greatest players off all time is a bit daft.

I know what you mesn, he's a ponce. I feel like that about Messi though to be honest. Maradonna would score a goal, down some flaming shots then snort some coke off a Check whore's nipple, Messi would be in bed watching Downton Abbey. True genius needs an element of shenanigans to be really appreciated.

None will ever eclipse Zidane for my money.

Totally agree. Zidane had it. Whatever IT is. I can think of no player since who could make me sit and watch an entire game just to see what he would conjure up next. 

Messi, Ronaldo etc. Absolutely brilliant footballers. Perhaps better, certainly more effective, but none can match the pure entertainment value of watching Zidane. I doubt no one ever will, sadly.

Except Xabi obviously.

• Upvote 1

I don't get how there is even a debate about this, he's a top 5 of all time. Just because he scores goals which aren't always strike of the season contenders, doesn't take anything away from him. He's unique and he's now at a level where it's a shock to the world when he doesn't score. How many players can that be said about?

He's as box office as football gets IMO, I'd tune in just to see him. No matter who comes into Madrid he still remains the best player by the figurative mile.

I get the many aspects to dislike him for, not that I share them - but trying to suggest he is anything but one of the greatest players off all time is a bit daft.

No-one is suggesting he isn't one of the greatest players of all time. Just that it isn't very interesting to watch him play. He isn't a genius.

• Upvote 2

It's perfectly fair to say that Ronaldo will go down as one of the "greatest players in history," as long as you don't specify exactly what that means.  When you imply that there's no debate that he's in the top 5, well, that's different.

Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi are all pretty comfortably better, I think almost everyone would agree.  Is Ronaldo the best of the rest?  Maybe, but it's certainly debatable at the very least.  I personally would have Zidane ahead of him, the original Ronaldo as well if we're not factoring in longevity (and I wouldn't).  Then CRonaldo is in a group with Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, maybe Puskas, perhaps a couple of others.  He's definitely head and shoulders above players like Henry or Giggs, some of the best the English league has seen, but I think it's quite an exaggeration to say he's one of the top 5 without debate.

Maradona, Pele and Cruyff I would have thought.

I'd have Zidane just ahead of Cruyff

Brazilian Ronaldo might have been the greatest of them all only for injury. 

Just want to clarify I havent included Messi or Ronaldo as they're both still playing.  Just going on past players for now

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/worst-overreaction-to-a-foul-ever-644374.html

Worst overreaction to a foul ever  
Monday, October 06, 2014 - 03:59 PM
DanJones_large.jpg

We are used to footballers embarrassing themselves with over-the-top reactions to fouls, but this is ridiculous. 

Chesterfield’s Dan Jones was on the receiving end of a nasty-looking challenge in their match against Sheffield United at the weekend and the player who tackled him was rightly sent off. 

But Jones probably deserved the same punishment for his absolutely ludicrous play-acting in the aftermath.

He flopped around the pitch like a fish gasping for water for a good 10 seconds after he was fouled, continuing even after his opponent had been shown a red card. 

Honestly, we’ve seen toddlers having meltdowns in supermarket aisles who showed more dignity. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNkh4qadEgM

Gotta love "Honestly, we’ve seen toddlers having meltdowns in supermarket aisles who showed more dignity"

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/worst-overreaction-to-a-foul-ever-644374.html

Gotta love "Honestly, we’ve seen toddlers having meltdowns in supermarket aisles who showed more dignity"

Back in my days watching WWF as it was then called, there was a tag team called Too Cool and one of their finishers was an overly elaborate but useless looking move called 'The Worm'. It looks like this player was trying to do The Worm.

giphy.gif