You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you want to coach Football in Europe?

waiting game

Waiting Game,

What FA Qualifications did you have before going over? As stated I only have a L1, which I'm sure you know, you only basically have to turn up to pass.

Did you have any prior coaching experience before going to Hungary?

Have you ever done any coaching in the US? If so, with you etc?

Waiting Game,

What FA Qualifications did you have before going over? As stated I only have a L1, which I'm sure you know, you only basically have to turn up to pass.

Did you have any prior coaching experience before going to Hungary?

Have you ever done any coaching in the US? If so, with you etc?

Hello, first off, I haven't been to the states mate so can't comment. All I can say is that I know experience in Europe is much more respected from other European teams more so that the US.

We have two levels of coaches, I created it like this so that if someone has not been able to do their badges as can so often be the case, they are not ruled out. This is based on potential and being the right person. Therefore, if you have coaching badges, you may not get a place, and if you dont have them, you may well do. I will meet the applicants, interview and then there are a few things we do to see what sort of coach you are now and could be.

I had only coached amateur youth football before going out, I impressed whilst I was out there and was offered an academy position which I turned down, I wasn't ready to move out there full time. I did however want to run the management side of the program and thankfully the company agreed. We only had one last year and 6 coaches, this year we have much more, and different levels. I am very excited about the summer and I am already working hard on both the coaches and the new clubs for following years including Italy, Spain and Portugal.

How did you find the states mate? We decided for now to stay in Europe for the reasons I mentioned before and that it is much cheaper for coaches. Our company own camp america so we already know what the states can offer and we are very happy to be working in Europe when it comes to Football. Thats not to say that the states dont have a lot to offer, just that we feel we are better off working in Europe at this moment in time.

Did that answer your questions? You can drop me a line if you would like more info, could send a few things over?

Challenger. You know of them?

I worked for Challenger in Dallas back in 1999, thoroughly enjoyed my time out there coaching around Texas and Oklahoma.

I'm off to the match tomorrow with the lad that I coached with over there, and he's been itching to get back into some coaching for years, so I'll chat it over with him and see if he fancies it, as it sounds really interesting. We are both qualified, FA Preliminary, mine was back in 1995, is this still ok with you guys?

I currently coach my daughters u10 team as well.

To be honest I'd jump at the chance to work in Hungary, love that part of the world. Only thing stopping me would be the money side of things, y'know with a wife and kid cramping my style and being all wanting money to spend and shit. It's a similar story for coaches at a lot of places. I actually got offered a job at Wigan Athletic a few months back after initially being knocked back by them. If I'd have taken it I'd be on £8k a year less than what I'm on doing my office job now, and that's nothing too special pay wise either.

For anyone at a loose end or young enough to forego a few extra hundred quid from their current job I'd tell you to go for it, for the experience alone, plus playing/coaching footy for a living abroad is something you'll cherish for years to come.

Good luck to anyone that does, this old fart will be very jealous.

Challenger. You know of them?

Two summers with them, man and boy.

Went all over with them, seen some great parts of America and Canada.

First year the money isn't great but second year I was earning a decent little wage, considering they sort the food and accommodation for you. They also sort a rental car between the lads which I often took for myself of a night time. It was about 700 quid for Visa and flights, but you are there for 3 months and the families treat you like a king. The lads you work with are for the most part pretty good. Second year the money picks up and the programme fee is cheaper. They wanted me to go on a CCT programme, 4 - 6 months but the real world caught up with me and I got a full time job.

Camp America sounds like good fun but with Challenger you get a lot more free time, and it is only footy you are dealing with, not babysitting as much. If I was going to America I would recommend them and Texas is a boss region for the company. Challenger take 1000 coaches over each year, do over 2000 camps, loads of team programmes and cover all the US States, they really know what they are doing. You have the Liverpool lad seal of approval.

This one to Hungary appeals to me as I could do the 2 week programme without having to leave my job, where as America it requires a change of job. I might finally get around to completing my FA Level 2 this March, only got Unit 16 to complete. Just hoping I pass Waiting Game's strict criteria.

Two summers with them, man and boy.

Went all over with them, seen some great parts of America and Canada.

First year the money isn't great but second year I was earning a decent little wage, considering they sort the food and accommodation for you. They also sort a rental car between the lads which I often took for myself of a night time. It was about 700 quid for Visa and flights, but you are there for 3 months and the families treat you like a king. The lads you work with are for the most part pretty good. Second year the money picks up and the programme fee is cheaper. They wanted me to go on a CCT programme, 4 - 6 months but the real world caught up with me and I got a full time job.

Camp America sounds like good fun but with Challenger you get a lot more free time, and it is only footy you are dealing with, not babysitting as much. If I was going to America I would recommend them and Texas is a boss region for the company. Challenger take 1000 coaches over each year, do over 2000 camps, loads of team programmes and cover all the US States, they really know what they are doing. You have the Liverpool lad seal of approval.

Cheers mate.

Yeah, really looking forward to it. Ideally, I want to do it full time over there but need to see how it goes in the summer before committing further to it.

I'll be older than the rest majority of the lads who'll be going out for the summer (I'm 30) but I'm totally fed up with my job and want a complete career chance to something I'll enjoy doing.

Girlfriend is American & would need to convince her a bit more but that's the plan.

Cheers mate.

Yeah, really looking forward to it. Ideally, I want to do it full time over there but need to see how it goes in the summer before committing further to it.

I'll be older than the rest majority of the lads who'll be going out for the summer (I'm 30) but I'm totally fed up with my job and want a complete career chance to something I'll enjoy doing.

Girlfriend is American & would need to convince her a bit more but that's the plan.

You'll end up babysitting some of the younger lads as well, as particularly in Dallas and Fort Worth, they are shit hot on ID into clubs and bars on the weekends. I went with one host family and they ID'd the Dad, who was about 50!!!!

Texas is a great place though, make sure you check out San Antonio and Austin, and if you get time Corpus Christi.

I'd definitely be interested in doing this. How's best to apply?

Here mate Soccer Coaching Experience - Hungary | Hungary | Volunteering | Smaller Earth

That will go through the office who will check it all over. Then it gets passed on to me to do interviews and then I make the decisions.

Keep me posted and/or email me if you need any help mate.

It will go to google ads end of this month so I wanted to put it on here and twitter first as I like people off here (plus your reds :) ) if you email me some details over, I can keep an eye out for your application.

Same goes for the rest of you applying.

p.may@smallerearth.com

I'm currently in the US, a coach (as full time as I can make it given the market here) and looking to get out of the country to coach abroad. Is this something I'd qualify for?

Based on the small amount you have told me I'd expect that you would (if taken on) be at academy level. This would mean you would be working at running the summer program and doing work on the pre-season prep for the academy teams.

Email me some details over mate and I will have a read through, then we can chat more with more facts rather than me having to guess your experience etc.

Speak soon mate, Best of luck with your current team.

p.may@smallerearth.com