You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

aRdja

This is one of them good problems. I and many others have moaned for ages about our lack of squad depth, now we have it (in certain areas at least). Obviously the issue of Coates' development by playing games is there, I wouldn't be adverse to a recallable loan a bit like Shelvey had (and judging by his recent performances for us has helped him).

The whole back 4 looked like strangers for the first half an hour,maybe not Kelly who is already a first team player in my opinion,so its a bit harsh to criticise Coates as Carra was no better.Coates does like to play his way out of the back and that is very promising.

He does need to be playing regularly though to develop,as does Carra if asked to step in.

I would play Kelly first above anybody at the back myself.

Think he's boss but yesterday unsurprisingly looked a rusty player surrounded by rusty players.

Another downside of no Europe, a lot of the squad players are just sat on their arse.

In a nutshell UNU

Think Coates hasn't played since Chelsea in the Hokey Cokey game. Carra & Kelly have been similarly inactive and Fabio for even longer.

Not sure why we would expect them to look excellent in those circumstances.

In what sense?

would you level the same criticism at Carragher?,

he a young lad settling from completely different style of play and culture,

In the sense that his performance was absolutely ridiculous. Defensively he was poor and he gave the ball away with some unbelievably sloppy passes.

He was excellent away at Stoke in the CC though. I'm just telling it how it is.

As I've said time and time again we need to loan out more players for them to get regular games. It did wonders for Shelvey and surely the likes of Flanagan, Coates, and Robinson would be better off if they could play at a higher level than reserves and a few cup games every now and then.

As I've said time and time again we need to loan out more players for them to get regular games. It did wonders for Shelvey and surely the likes of Flanagan, Coates, and Robinson would be better off if they could play at a higher level than reserves and a few cup games every now and then.

agreed..

Preferably a Premier League club. Its wworked well for other clubs Wilshire, Wellbeck, Cleverley etc.

That's a bit of a problem for us alright. He and a few others clearly need games, .

What happened to playing players in the reserve games?

You cant bring players into games when they haven't played for weeks, with players they are not used to and expect them to perform.

You cant bring players into games when they haven't played for weeks, with players they are not used to and expect them to perform.

The Reserves league is full of kids nowadays. It's a development league and the gap between it and first team football is so huge, it'd be a waste of time for players like Coates.

For the last 5 years there's been talk and talk of formal links with teams for loans etc to bridge that gap but as usual bugger all is done.

Shelvey played some reserve games when he returned and Coates surely played some earlier in the season. If players their age can't play ther if only keep themselves match fit I find it kind of strange.

He could play, but he needs real football @ PL pace and intensity. Back in the day the reserve league was like that but not anymore. Match fitness is far less of an issue than adaption IMO.

He could play, but he needs real football @ PL pace and intensity. Back in the day the reserve league was like that but not anymore. Match fitness is far less of an issue than adaption IMO.

Absolutely agree, but if were keeping them at the club they have to play somewhere and then the reserves are the only option.

Don't think he should be playing alongside Carragher, both have a lack of pace, think Coates would be much better beside Agger or Skrtel to cover in behind, so he can concentrate and go and winning the ball. Carragher also is a poor option to pass to,rarely makes himself available you could see Coates getting nervous on the ball because he had to hesitate on the ball and look for a more difficult pass.

It's ridiculous.

Before the Chelsea cup game Coates and Spearing played in the previous reserve game so they'd at least had a game under their belt before hand. Oldham was the first game Coates had played in since.

Coates really should either be on loan or in the reserves. He needs to acclimitise to English football. The problem with us is we have players who aren't getting many minutes for the first team but odn't play for the reservse here. So how can they stay match fit or avoid regressing?

Coates hasn't even made the bench for the last few first team league games.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

He needs a run in the team I said this a while back.

He is getting better each time he plays and more importantly he is cutting out the mistakes he was making.

Another point is he will score more goals in a season than Agger would as well.

He is like center forward with the postions he takes up in the opponents box.

If he gets a run in the team with Agger being injured,I think he will be hard to displace even when Agger is fit to play.

That is if he keeps on playing the way he is.