You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

aRdja

Wenger managed to mix the two in his earlier and more successful years at Arsenal. Since he started to buy ball playing centre halves Arsenal have won virtually nothing.

We just need centre backs who can defend well and are also good in the air. Trying to do otherwise wont solve our current problems.

More to do with him letting power and pace go in that position.

I'd like to see him go on loan to a prem club for the rest of the season and ready to make more of an impact next year, can't see it though with Wilson already loaned out

Needs 6 good games behind him, and then will see if can cut it. Does appear to lack pace tho.

• 1 month later...

This is up there with Assaidi as one of the weirdest player sagas at this club.

Aged 22, and yet he doesn't play, at all, at any level. It's ridiculous really, I mean, is he really THAT bad?

Of course, he has to be moving on very soon, but has anyone got any insider gossip as to what went wrong for him at the club? This Summer we're looking for two or three new centre backs, but we already have a player with tons of potential here, but we're almost certainly going to bin him in the Summer.

I'm not angry, or sad, about this, just fucking confused. Why no loan out even?

If we were going by the performance against Oldham, it would have finished everyone's Liverpool career.

Maybe Rodgers just doesn't like tall players? I can imagine his dossier containing pearls of wisdom like "If God had meant football to be played in the air, you'd be able to fit your head in a football boot" or somesuch nonsense.

I like Coates as a player, who's still young and could be very good - defenders tend to mature a little later. He needs game time to iron out those errors he's prone to make, like any young defender, but there's a load of potential there. Wow, remember that goal he scored last year from the edge of the box. But anyway, if the manager really doesn't rate him then get shot and give the player a chance to play elsewhere. I think it will be our loss, but there's not much point in holding on to someone we're not going to play.

If he didn't, I doubt he'd done as well for Uruguay as he has.

I can count on one hand how many South American international defenders were actually any good, they just don't seem to value them, second only to goalkeepers. Remember Junior Baiano? Fucking hell.

Most South American defenders seem to get by either through using pace to recover from fuck ups, or just kicking you in the throat.

I don't like writing off young talent' date=' but he got pushed around by players half his size, always seemed to let the ball bounce and get caught under it and sadly lacked the pace or strength to make amends.[/quote']

You know, while I agree with all of that, that could equally apply to all four of our centre backs this season.

All of them.

The likes of Benteke and Lukaku terrified them.

You know, while I agree with all of that, that could equally apply to all four of our centre backs this season.

All of them.

The likes of Benteke and Lukaku terrified them.

Fair point, but Lukaku and Benteke are beasts, Coates was getting bullied by players he had every right to swat aside.

I just don't get why he's never gone on loan, more playing time might have settled his nerves and maybe he could've bulked up a bit and got used to the physicality of the league.

I can count on one hand how many South American international defenders were actually any good' date=' they just don't seem to value them, second only to goalkeepers. Remember Junior Baiano? Fucking hell.

Most South American defenders seem to get by either through using pace to recover from fuck ups, or just kicking you in the throat.[/quote']

Who was that Uruguayan who used to play for Juve?

Hard as nails and a fucking animal. Decent defender as well...

The joys of Google... Paolo Montero was the fella.

Now there was a player who wouldn't think twice about kicking you in the throat.

You had to use google to know that?

Are you 12?

I think Coates will go on and be a top class centre back for some Italian team.

I just think you need more in your locker in this division. Not because it's so good, but because it's so open and like a game of basketball, and so disorganised.

The centre backs need to be physical specimens, a team's get-out-of-jail-free-card, capable of covering ground like a forward, and leaping like a salmon, and also with an upper body like a rugby league player, and some modicum of game intelligence to know to give the ball simply and not to do stupid things with it. Two things that these players do not need to be able to do (1) be great technical footballers, (2) turn quickly and sharply.

Thiago Silva is ace. Not too big, not too small, just an athlete but he can also play. You want the 6'1" lads, not the 6'4" ones so much.

I still think Coady could be a class centre back.

If you ask me, and most people do, I think Gerrard could take over from Carragher at the back. Stop being awkward Stevie, be the worlds best centre back you selfish bastard.