You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gary Speed

Mbrownrigg

I'm shocked. Can't believe he was on Football Focus only yesterday and seemed so good humoured and affable. Just goes to show that you never know what's going on inside somebody's head.

Thought he was a cracking player back in the day and looked to have a great future ahead of him in management. Looked to be doing a great job with Wales. Always liked hearing him talk on football programmed because he always came across well and was clearly very knowledgeable about the game.

Football has lost one of the good guys today.

Dan Walker on BBC News now, spent all day with Speed yesterday. Sounds totally and utterly devastated and said he was on top form all day, no indications of suffering at all. Heartbreaking stuff.

Can't even begin to imagine how he must be feeling now. His life will constantly be filled with what if's and why he disn't pick up on his anguish.

So sad

Can't even begin to imagine how he must be feeling now. His life will constantly be filled with what if's and why he disn't pick up on his anguish.

So sad

A lot of people suffering from depression hide it very well, assuming that was the case here. It's a great pity, because asking for help is a much better way out. Part of the illness though is assuming that you are not worth helping and that no-one would want to anyway.

I'm truly gutted. I remember the excitement when we signed him. He'd said previously that he'd crawl over broken glass to Goodison Park to play for us, and back then to sign a player of his calibre, who had turned down a lot more money to play for us, was brilliant.

He was an outstanding player, and worshiped by Evertonians. I'll never forget his hat-trick against Southampton. Before he left us, he'd refused to travel with the team and went awol for an away match, and there were rumours he was leaving. Then he buggered off to Newcastle, and it was the first time I'd ever felt devastated by a player leaving (probably the same as you felt when you heard the news about Torres or Owen). Along with Ferguson, Speed to us was Everton. You never really know what's gone on behind closed doors, but since then I've always taught my lad that professional footballers are just that - professionals, and you should never get too attached to them.

It's awful to imagine anybody so tormented they'd be driven to take their own life. R.I.P Speedy lad.

So sad

SO sad, and so fucking selfish. That's right, Dan Walker and many of the MOTD team, and everyone else who spoke to him yesterday will forever be affected by his act. I have every sympathy for those with depression, dont you worry about that, but my first reaction is always to err on the side of 'you selfish fucker, thanks for that'.

God bless his two young boys.

SO sad, and so fucking selfish. That's right, Dan Walker and many of the MOTD team, and everyone else who spoke to him yesterday will forever be affected by his act. I have every sympathy for those with depression, dont you worry about that, but my first reaction is always to err on the side of 'you selfish fucker, thanks for that'.

God bless his two young boys.

Prick.