You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas has not improved.

Guest simon

Pass, advance to a position you can help him out, and keep the momentum of the move going.

If your defence has half a brain, it'll step a few yards up the pitch at the same time to lessen the gap if the team loses the ball.

If it doesn't, then you end up with a massive hole between midfield and the defence, in which case everyone blames the DM for leaving his position.

Barca are one of those teams who worked this out and actually made the DM contribute to the offensive side of things, in fact Busquets is integral to it, even if he doesn't touch the ball. The mere presence of another body sucks in the opposition to try and cover him.

There comes a time you have to trust the man on the ball, he is, after all, earning £80,000 per week (give or take), you should be able to trust him with the ball at his feet and be the last man. Pick a pass, play some football, but don't launch it when under the slightest bit of pressure, it's a total cop-out.

And we don't need to change from a 4-4-2, Jason Roberts was mentioning it the other day on 606, there's so much to be said for the 4-4-2, having two strikers up there and having two wide men, and the middle two juggling the defence and attack aspect of the game. I'd have two all-rounders in the middle, like Henderson, Gerrard or Adam. They need to make decisions in the game and you have to let them, attack or defend, your call, but you have to talk and you have to cover each other, you have to use some game intelligence. Lucas offers so little going forward, for me, it's a waste of a shirt having someone like him in there. By committing less players forward, the chances are your moves will break down quicker and the opposition will be back at you. It's Catch 22 in some ways, we pick him to shore the defence up, but in picking someone like him we actually leave ourselves open to more pressure at the back.

Pass, advance to a position you can help him out, and keep the momentum of the move going.

If your defence has half a brain, it'll step a few yards up the pitch at the same time to lessen the gap if the team loses the ball.

If it doesn't, then you end up with a massive hole between midfield and the defence, in which case everyone blames the DM for leaving his position.

Barca are one of those teams who worked this out and actually made the DM contribute to the offensive side of things, in fact Busquets is integral to it, even if he doesn't touch the ball. The mere presence of another body sucks in the opposition to try and cover him.

There comes a time you have to trust the man on the ball, he is, after all, earning £80,000 per week (give or take), you should be able to trust him with the ball at his feet and be the last man. Pick a pass, play some football, but don't launch it when under the slightest bit of pressure, it's a total cop-out.

And we don't need to change from a 4-4-2, Jason Roberts was mentioning it the other day on 606, there's so much to be said for the 4-4-2, having two strikers up there and having two wide men, and the middle two juggling the defence and attack aspect of the game. I'd have two all-rounders in the middle, like Henderson, Gerrard or Adam. They need to make decisions in the game and you have to let them, attack or defend, your call, but you have to talk and you have to cover each other, you have to use some game intelligence. Lucas offers so little going forward, for me, it's a waste of a shirt having someone like him in there. By committing less players forward, the chances are your moves will break down quicker and the opposition will be back at you. It's Catch 22 in some ways, we pick him to shore the defence up, but in picking someone like him we actually leave ourselves open to more pressure at the back.

Seriously pal, that whole post is a load of bollocks.

To be honest I'm more worried about Adam before Lucas.

Lucas can make up by being dynamic and busy for maybe not having the best touch for a Brazilian whereas Adam,very skilful and an excellent eye for a pass or even a few goals,still looks a bit immobile for me and can force is to play deeper than we need to to compensate for his lack of pace.

If Utd can win a league title with a donkey like Darren Fletcher then we can certainly improve with somebody like Lucas who is much better than Fletcher for me,oh and Gareth Barry too.

Interesting point on winning the league with the likes of Fletcher in your team.

I think your midfield is much more of a necessity when your playing in the champions league rather than the league. Our Alonso-Hamman/Mascherano axis was one of the main reasons why we done so well in Europe under Rafa. You can afford to sacrifice some of that protection against the likes of Wigan and Blackburn.

To be honest I'm more worried about Adam before Lucas.

Lucas can make up by being dynamic and busy for maybe not having the best touch for a Brazilian whereas Adam,very skilful and an excellent eye for a pass or even a few goals,still looks a bit immobile for me and can force is to play deeper than we need to to compensate for his lack of pace.

If Utd can win a league title with a donkey like Darren Fletcher then we can certainly improve with somebody like Lucas who is much better than Fletcher for me,oh and Gareth Barry too.

Adam has been a bit of a mixed bag for me too. I think he's adapted really well to the more defensive role we've given him though. I don't think our being deep is as much to do with him as it is to do with Kenny just preferring to play that way.

Where I have been disappointed though, is that the team has not been able to make more use of his quick, penetrative passing. Whether because he's not as accurate as I thought, or there is not enough of an understanding or enough movement in front of him yet, I don't know I guess time will tell.

He really does need to stop fading as badly as he does though.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday was probably his best performance for us yet, and I thought it all came together for him to make an undeniably world class display in that position protecting the back four. If he carries on playing like that, never mind improving, then on the basis of yesterday's game almost any team in the world would be glad to have him.

It's funny the way some people still maintain that he is not a good player just so they don't have to admit they were wrong to judge a young player so harshly. What's even more amusing is they have learnt nothing at all from it and are doing the exact same thing to the likes of Hendo and Carroll. For me Lucas is now the best at what he does in the league and can still improve alot. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet every game. He may not get forward much but in sitting back he allows both fullbacks and the other Cm alot more freedom too.

Love the way his confidence is really starting to grow too, with some of that south American swagger showing in his game from time to time.

When he's 'up for it' he peforms. Perhaps why he seems to do the business in the big games. The whole team were up for it yesterday and he got stuck in. Maybe his best game for us.

My worry has been that he's not much of a natural enough leader to step up and take control of a game by the scruff of the neck ON HIS OWN when the game needs it and then inspire others to do it.

The role he plays isn't really suited to 'confidence players'. And ultimately, like yesterday proved, he's got it in him to not have to worry so much about his confidence at all.

When he's 'up for it' he peforms. Perhaps why he seems to do the business in the big games. The whole team were up for it yesterday and he got stuck in. Maybe his best game for us.

My worry has been that he's not much of a natural enough leader to step up and take control of a game by the scruff of the neck ON HIS OWN when the game needs it and then inspire others to do it.

The role he plays isn't really suited to 'confidence players'. And ultimately, like yesterday proved, he's got it in him to not have to worry so much about his confidence at all.

You make a good point.

Lucas has ALWAYS been good in the big games, as far back as the 4-1 at Old Trafford.

It's against the smaller teams he really need to impose himself for, that doesn't just go for him, but for the majority of the side as well.

I honestly believe that will come with age and exp. You have to remember the shit this lads put up with and the amount of people constantly telling him he was shit and didnt deserve to be in the team.

The best leaders lead by example. Confidence shouldn't have to come into it (form aside).

A holding midfielder really can't take a game by the scruff of the neck if everyone infront of him isn't playing well. He was able to make great passes yesterday because players made great runs etc

A number ten can take a game by the scruff of the neck even if everyone else if playing poorly, by dribbling past someone and having a shot. But he has no defensive responsibilities.

We didn't draw against Swansea because of Lucas, or any of the defenders, or Reina. We had 18 shots, unfortunately none of them went in the goal. Herein lies the problem.