You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas has not improved.

Guest simon

I don't think Parker is better than Lucas at all. Yes he looks a bit busier and is Englands new hope for the Euro's and plays for a fashionable team, but Lucas is far more understated.

I don't think Parker's a bad player by any means, I just think his ability is played up by people on here yearning to be rid of Lucas. If we were watching him week in week out i'm sure we'd get to learn more of his foibles

I don't think Parker is better than Lucas at all. Yes he looks a bit busier and is Englands new hope for the Euro's and plays for a fashionable team, but Lucas is far more understated.

I don't think Parker's a bad player by any means, I just think his ability is played up by people on here yearning to be rid of Lucas. If we were watching him week in week out i'm sure we'd get to learn more of his foibles

He does more stuff that makes English commentators soil themselves. Like crunching tackles, and fondling his 50s hair cut etc

Gives the ball away quite a lot. But, yeah, he's quite decent. Certainly wouldn't swap him for Lucas, especially as he's 31.

But Parker is English, plays for Spurs, plays under Redknapp etc etc

That explains some of the jizz.

Ultimately he hasn't quite cut it for most of his career.

This is england. Parker does slide tackles instead of positioning himself well and nicking the ball ergo he's better.

But why. I think he's a good player though over rated by many and underrated by many too. Why would people yearn to be rid of him. If he was as good as some say surely there would be no debate about his place in the side. Mascherano had the same role and nobody debated his ability so it can't just be about the DM role. If some fans have an agenda against Lucas then where does it stem from, he's a nice lad, he works hard for the team so it purely has to be down to the fact that some just don't rate him.

I think he's a useful player to have and would keep him though for me he wouldn't be a constant fixture like he is and he certainly wouldn't be club captain like some suggest.

We have other areas in the team that need addressing more.

He does more stuff that makes English commentators soil themselves. Like crunching tackles, and fondling his 50s hair cut etc

Gives the ball away quite a lot. But, yeah, he's quite decent. Certainly wouldn't swap him for Lucas, especially as he's 31.

But Parker is English, plays for Spurs, plays under Redknapp etc etc

That explains some of the jizz.

Ultimately he hasn't quite cut it for most of his career.

Decent player for sure, but what does it take for him to get booked? Lost count of the number of fouls he gave away yesterday, a couple of them well late, the epitome of 'persistent fouling', yet...... whereas Lucas has been booked 5 times and been suspended already this season, yet has anyone seen him commit a particularly bad foul yet?

Decent player for sure, but what does it take for him to get booked? Lost count of the number of fouls he gave away yesterday, a couple of them well late, the epitome of 'persistent fouling', yet...... whereas Lucas has been booked 5 times and been suspended already this season, yet has anyone seen him commit a particularly bad foul yet?

jpeg.jpeg

Yeah, yesterday was a joke. Lucas though does tend to do 'tactical fouls', stopping counter attacks and the like and those are almost always yellows.

There's no doubt certain players get away with much more based on their reputation and to be fair Lucas is no longer getting yellows for some of the same sort of fouls he made early in his time with us.

Scott Parker is 31 and has 9 caps. Lucas is 24 and has 17 caps. In fairness, Parkers have come playing for England whereas Lucas only plays for that notoriously shite footballing nation Brazil.

Lucas is a decent, functional player. But let's not pretend he "bosses" midfields or anything of the sort. Ultimately, a player as limited as him has to be close to the best in the world at his limited skills to justify his place in a top side. And he is nowhere near that right now, even if he is improving every year.

Before anyone points to United's midfielders, I'll remind them that their play relies on an abundance of pacy wingers and quick forwards. Our system is far more about pass and move and requires attacking contribution from all midfielders. I simply don't see where Lucas fits in our long-term plans.

This is england. Parker does slide tackles instead of positioning himself well and nicking the ball ergo he's better.

I dislike it when the Lucaucas deride anybody who doesn't think he's brilliant as some kind of footballing philistine unaware of the great nuisances of his game. We can disagree without the insinuation being it's because one side of the argument isn't as enlightened as the other.

But why. I think he's a good player though over rated by many and underrated by many too. Why would people yearn to be rid of him. If he was as good as some say surely there would be no debate about his place in the side. Mascherano had the same role and nobody debated his ability so it can't just be about the DM role. If some fans have an agenda against Lucas then where does it stem from, he's a nice lad, he works hard for the team so it purely has to be down to the fact that some just don't rate him.

I think he's a useful player to have and would keep him though for me he wouldn't be a constant fixture like he is and he certainly wouldn't be club captain like some suggest.

We have other areas in the team that need addressing more.

I was basically talking about Silverlining, that guy has a serious man crush on Parker!

Seriously though, it's a good point you make. We have been spoiled over the last 10 years with the quality of our midfield. Gary Mac, Didi, Alonso Mascherano etc. and I concede Lucas is a step down from that sort of class. He's still a very good player and up there with the best in his position in the league for me. The people who complain about him have valid gripes, but as you say, there are areas of the team that can be upgraded before Lucas.

Lucas is a decent, functional player. But let's not pretend he "bosses" midfields or anything of the sort. Ultimately, a player as limited as him has to be close to the best in the world at his limited skills to justify his place in a top side. And he is nowhere near that right now, even if he is improving every year.

Before anyone points to United's midfielders, I'll remind them that their play relies on an abundance of pacy wingers and quick forwards. Our system is far more about pass and move and requires attacking contribution from all midfielders. I simply don't see where Lucas fits in our long-term plans.

Drivel.

I dislike it when the Lucaucas deride anybody who doesn't think he's brilliant as some kind of footballing philistine unaware of the great nuisances of his game. We can disagree without the insinuation being it's because one side of the argument isn't as enlightened as the other.

Yes, but we can also agree the English meeja does contain quite a few said footballing philistines, no?

They're both good players. Parker, for better or worse, does things that appeal in this country far more so than they would elsewhere.

Derision, philistines, etc. You've put that in there, not me. Stop being so sensitive.

I won't quantify how average Lucas is based on Parker. Even though Parker IS a better player, he's still far from a perfect barometer for a defensive-minded midfielder.

Saw a passage of play yesterday in fact that made me chuckle, where Parker was on the halfway line under no pressure and he pinged a ball 10 yards back to the centre back, then ran 5 yards across the pitch and received it back, and then pinged it directly out wide to the full back who was also under no pressure, and then sprinted towards him and received it back once more, and then he got his head up and looked for a forward pass, which was into feet to someone with their back to goal, some 40 yards behind him.

That's not defensive midfield play, that's just passing and running for the sake of it.