You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stewart Downing

RobbieOR

I find it strange today seems to be the day to point fingers at him when he was actually rather decent. He's been utterly ineffective in alot of games this year but today I thought he put in a very good shift and caused a few problems for City on his side.

I've seen people say hes been putting chances on a plate for players regularly which I think is a bit of an exaggeration. But today he got a few decent balls into the box. His big problem though is he doesn't get into dangerous positions enough the way Maxi or Bellamy do. He'll get a few decent crosses in every game but he won't move the way they do which can really trouble defenders.

First half he was fucking atrocious, and it was his fuck up that led to the corner for their goal.

Looked to me like he had a rocket at half time because he was a lot better 2nd half.

Infuriating watching him refusing to take on Richards first half and trying to play ridiculous 1-2s with Enrique to beat his man.

Not good enough for where we want to be - but then most knew that before he signed.

He's been a little unlucky at times: creating two great match-winning chances for Kuyt against United and today which weren't taken, but looking at his contribution overall he's got to improve a lot to start justifying his place in the side, let alone that fee.

I think he was poor Yesterday. He rarely went outside his man. In fact he rarely went passed him. He was too deep too often. His shooting was poor.

I felt that Enrique did most Downing's work on the left flank in the opposition half. I also noticed that there were a couple of times towards the end of the game where Enrique had an easy option to pass to his left winger but decided not to. Whilst I don't condone this I interpreted it as a lack of confidence in Downing.

Early on in the season Downing looked like a good buy. Perhaps his confidence is low.

He didn't have a good game yesterday. But he was better than Kuyt. He did more tracking back, provided more service, and provided more of a threat. So let's get things in perspective. Bellamy and Maxi should be in the team, all things being equal. Bellamy's absence was understandable, Maxi's less so - perhaps he's carrying a knock or can't do two games in a week.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Downing is good enough to get us into the CL

Then he really needs to start showing that. His contribution to that objective is, as far, not very much.

He's doing alright, needs to be better though. Think he had a fairly slow start at Villa too and then settled into his stride. Hopefully that happens again.

I just wish he'd be a bit more assertive as he's far too passive at times. I put that down to confidence, but I think he'll get better.

He's doing alright, needs to be better though. Think he had a fairly slow start at Villa too and then settled into his stride. Hopefully that happens again.

I just wish he'd be a bit more assertive as he's far too passive at times. I put that down to confidence, but I think he'll get better.

He seems a really nice lad, not cocky, not a bighead, not arrogant and not overly confident which is pretty much how he plays!

I think he will get better though.

I think one of the problems with Downing is that when he has put a quality ball into the box, it hasn't been finished off. This has happened on a few occasions. He could of easily had at least four assists.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Suarez hangs outside the box, Kuyt is too slow and Carroll is somewhere in between heading things wide and forcing keepers to make stupid saves.

I just watched the game again and he played a lot better than I thought initially. He got balls in the box, was a very good outlet when we broke and used it well. to transfer from back to front. The main one though was that Richards who has played like a right wing back lately was pinned back and offered City nothing offensively. If we had Gerrard/Bellamy in the hole rather than Henderson (in his current form) the balls out wide will be crisper and he'll get that couple of seconds/yards to whip in more 1st time crosses.

It is a pity that Carroll has not been on the pitch more to convert a few of his crosses and that Kuyt has lost his goal touch as he needs an assist or two to boost his confidence.

This is unfortunately true.