You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stewart Downing

RobbieOR

There hasnt been a thread on him so I thought I may aswell start one. He's apparantly stalling on a new contract at Villa so it looks like we'll be getting him.

Do people see him as the right signing?

Personally I dont as I think we can do better.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Fairly good at most things. 27 and going to cost a lot of money. I'd sooner see that money put towards a better player.

Good player. Will add width. We looked alot more balanced with Riera in the team, i see Downing as a better version of Riera.

He looked the dogs bollocks at boro, plus he's desperate to come here.

Think he'll do well for us.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why do hardly any liverpool fans rate him? Because he played for boro?

Mainly because he's a middle of the road player and we need better than that in order to win the league. Rumours are saying 15-20m. That's just ridiculous.

The way things have worked out since Kenny took over, I don't know where Carroll's gonna fit in...except for maybe a plan B.

I wouldn't mind Downing. He's good/very good at everything without being excellent at something and shite at something else.

If we get a new left back, I wouldn't mind seeing...

-------------------Pepe------------------

Kelly---------Carra/Skrtel---------Agger/Skrtel--------LB

Johnson--------Gerrard----------Lucas/Raul--------Downing

----------------Dirk-----------Luis---------------

Unless we go to 3 centrebacks, so we could do....

-------------------Pepe--------------------

-----Kelly----Carra/Skrtel----Agger/Skrtel

Johnson-------------------------------Downing

---------------Raul-------Lucas---------------

------------------Gerrard---------------------

--------------Dirk---------Luis--------------

I actually think I prefer the second team.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Well he's better than Harry Kewell

What does that have to do with anything? At Harry Kewell was, at some point in his career, a top quality player. Stewart Downing never has been and likely never will be.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The way things have worked out since Kenny took over, I don't know where Carroll's gonna fit in...except for maybe a plan B.

I wouldn't mind Downing. He's good/very good at everything without being excellent at something and shite at something else.

If we get a new left back, I wouldn't mind seeing...

-------------------Pepe------------------

Kelly---------Carra/Skrtel---------Agger/Skrtel--------LB

Johnson--------Gerrard----------Lucas/Raul--------Downing

----------------Dirk-----------Luis---------------

Unless we go to 3 centrebacks, so we could do....

-------------------Pepe--------------------

-----Kelly----Carra/Skrtel----Agger/Skrtel

Johnson-------------------------------Downing

---------------Raul-------Lucas---------------

------------------Gerrard---------------------

--------------Dirk---------Luis--------------

I actually think I prefer the second team.

Downing will be signed because of Carroll. Our £35m man isn't going to sit it out because we've paid 15m on somebody to complement him.

Well he's better than Harry Kewell

Harry Kewell at the peak of his powers in his Leeds days was light years ahead of downing.

I don't particularly want Downing, but if we could get him for the £5.5m we paid for HK, then I'd think that was a good signing. But we won't, he'll be closer to £20m, which is a stunning waste of funds.

I think he'll be a good signing.

One point though: if, as seems likely, we sign Marveaux as well, where does this leave the so-called "marquee signing"? We're not going to spend big on a centre half or centre mid (or at least, it doesn't seem likely), and Enrique probably isn't going to cost more than £10 million, so unless we're also after a right sided player then I don't see where a "big name" is going to fit in.

Not really. Scores less, less natural talent, not as good a dribbler, not quite as injured and probably cares a bit more.

Downing at 27 is a better player than Harry Kewell aged 27....prove me wrong?! Im not keen on Downing but he'll get to the byline and whip one in more often than not and thats what we need.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Harry Kewell at the peak of his powers in his Leeds days was light years ahead of downing.

I don't particularly want Downing, but if we could get him for the £5.5m we paid for HK, then I'd think that was a good signing. But we won't, he'll be closer to £20m, which is a stunning waste of funds.

He'd be a good player to have in the squad for 5m, but is he really the player we want to be spending big bucks on if we can't get the vastly superior Mata?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Downing at 27 is a better player than Harry Kewell aged 27....prove me wrong?.

What the fuck does that have to do with anything? Is being better than somebody who was always injured - perhaps our most injured player ever - something to be proud of? Is that now the benchmark? You've got to be better than a clapped out former world-class player?

He'd be a good player to have in the squad for 5m, but is he really the player we want to be spending big bucks on if we can't get the vastly superior Mata?

You're preaching to the choir here mate. Our positions on Downing are exactly the same.

Good player, would be happy if we signed him. The "need better than him if we want to do anything" shit annoys the hell out of me. Its not always that simple, look at our improvement when we signed Riera, look at all the laughing when Man Utd's only summer signing was Michael Carrick. Besides, it's not like we are only allowed to sign 1 player. We need good players, he is one and he gives us something we dont have so I'd be pleased if he joined.

I dont see it with Young having gone/going though.