You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What in your eyes would be a success next season?

Elite

People are being asked what they would consider a successful season, that doesn't mean they think there is a god given right to any of it.

No, the thread might be what would you consider successful but people aren't just talking about that. People are saying things like "settle for 4th" and win the league or (note. 2nd choice) settle for 4th and a cup. I think Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U and Man City might have something to say about that.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the Champions League would be my minimum requirement.

Given the state of the league in general, with a slightly above average Scum side looking likely to win the title, and everyone beating everyone else this season, I think with the right players, we can push for the title.

A shiny thing of some description would be nice.

Win a trophy and finish in the top 4.

If i had to choose between the two I'd pick winning a trophy over CL qualification.

A trophy thanks. The English Premiership I believe is a nice one.

I'm told that should get us into the ECL again too.

Greedy I know, but best of both worlds is what Liverpool used to be used to.

Epitomized by Kenny.

Most others are saying it, but it's spot on. Top 4 and a trophy. For our long term prospects of wanting league titles then sadly top 4 has to be the priority over a trophy as it brings the money that lets us compete, but I desperately want to be back in a final at Wembley. We haven't won a Wembley final since 1995. That's just far too long.

Of course we can challenge, look at the league this year - the most average manc team in recent memory. FFP rules coming in soon so that limits chelsea and man city (although this is potentially the last summer they can have a blowout (i reckon abrahmovitch has lost his hunger for it anyway)). Spurs are gonna fall back to where they've always been (also rans) with no CL footy their best players will leave. That's not even accounting for them going bankrupt as soon as saggy chops leaves. Arsenal are massive bottlers.

Come on you redmen, with the right signings theres no reason we can't be challenging.

I genuinely think we should be looking at an outside shot at the title, especially if we're not in Europe.

We're all pretty much in agreement the league is poor this season & I'm not sure how much it'll improve in the summer - United don't seem to have the money, despite probably spending a fortune Chelsea & City will probably have new managers & be in transition, Arsenal will again threaten & choke & rumours are Spurs might have to sell a few players & Redknapp will have an eye on getting the England job in the summer.

With some quality additions in the right places, coupled with the fact we won't have to play an additional 12+ games a season meaning key players are more likely to stay fit & fresher (thinking specifically of Gerrard & Carra here), I know we can quickley & significantly climb the table.

A few ifs & buts & I know it's much easier said than done but I've got faith we're going to surprise everybody next season.

I genuinely think we should be looking at an outside shot at the title, especially if we're not in Europe.

We're all pretty much in agreement the league is poor this season & I'm not sure how much it'll improve in the summer - United don't seem to have the money, despite probably spending a fortune Chelsea & City will probably have new managers & be in transition, Arsenal will again threaten & choke & rumours are Spurs might have to sell a few players & Redknapp will have an eye on getting the England job in the summer.

With some quality additions in the right places, coupled with the fact we won't have to play an additional 12+ games a season meaning key players are more likely to stay fit & fresher (thinking specifically of Gerrard & Carra here), I know we can quickley & significantly climb the table.

A few ifs & buts & I know it's much easier said than done but I've got faith we're going to surprise everybody next season.

Wise words and anything but out of the question in my book.

Guest barralad

Qualifying for the Champions League has got to be our aim.I think we would have a better chance if we are not in Europe next season.

The Europa league has no importance except to smaller clubs and would have a detrimental affect on our ability to achieve top four while we are rebuilding our squad.

We obviously need to buy in the summer.If we buy well I can see no reason why we cant get into the Champions League or maybe,just maybe.

We need to start off by getting rid of any player that doesn't want to be here. This has been one of our biggest problems over the past few seasons and has cost us heavily this season too.

If we can add 3 or 4 quality players to the squad and get rid of the likes of Poulson, Jovanovic, Cole etc then we should be looking to challenge for all the domestic honors next season, especially with European football looking unlikely.

We need to start off by getting rid of any player that doesn't want to be here. This has been one of our biggest problems over the past few seasons and has cost us heavily this season too.

If we can add 3 or 4 quality players to the squad and get rid of the likes of Poulson, Jovanovic, Cole etc then we should be looking to challenge for all the domestic honors next season, especially with European football looking unlikely.

Great point.

And we probably need to be even more ruthless than that in some instances. The three players you mention probably do want to be at Liverpool. But shouldn't be.

Hopefully getting rid of the squad players others have mentioned and replacing them with 3-4 of 1st team quality (and presuming we don't make Europe this season) i'd like us to finish within 8-10 points of whoever wins the league. Whether that means we finish in 2nd or 4th is of no real concern to me as that would be down to other teams, but CL qualification is a must.

I'm probably getting carried away by recent home performances, youth players, Kennys feel good factor and the fact the rest of the league is not that great, but i'm getting the idea we could have reached 20 by 2015, never mind 19.

Notable progress. I don't exactly how that would be defined in that context but just to know for sure that we're at the beginning of a new era that will yield serious chances of winning trophies (mainly the league) would be nice given the doom and gloom and sense of impending fuck up that's prevailed over the past 2 seasons and until Janaury this year. Getting back into the Champions League would be a good start.

Guest barralad
Hopefully getting rid of the squad players others have mentioned and replacing them with 3-4 of 1st team quality (and presuming we don't make Europe this season) i'd like us to finish within 8-10 points of whoever wins the league. Whether that means we finish in 2nd or 4th is of no real concern to me as that would be down to other teams, but CL qualification is a must.

I'm probably getting carried away by recent home performances, youth players, Kennys feel good factor and the fact the rest of the league is not that great, but i'm getting the idea we could have reached 20 by 2015, never mind 19.

Nothing wrong with optimism mate!.

Not winning the League for over twenty years has been a burden that seems to get heavier year on year.

We have the best supporters in the world and an unrivalled history and love for our club that puts the rest to shame.

We are all aware of our shortcomings with the capacity of Anfield and some very average players at the club.

I know we have been here before,but if our owners deliver in the summer I trust Kenny to take us where we want to be.

To take every week as it comes, see how we stand by christmas.

i read the other day that we have the best record against the top 4 teams this year.

a few quality signings and lets see.

have a good season and all the other things will take care of themselves.

Carling Cup and 4th is very reasonable with some decent investment and Kenny on a long term contract.

or

Lots of investment, Kenny on a long contract and then I don't see why we wont be going for the 19th and another top cup.

I just miss the Champions League nights, they're something special then you're through to the quaters.