You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny or Woy

KevieG

If it has to be one, who do you want  

213 members have voted

1. 1. If it has to be one, who do you want

I quite agree with the logic that suggests caution about someone returning to management after a long time out. But then again, there can be (not always, but sometimes) big surprises. I remember when Kenny left, Tommy Smith was interviewed on TV about who might take over, and the interviewer, thinking about the 'keep it in the family' ethos, mentioned Keegan. Smith collapsed with laughter, saying he had no interest in today's football and spent all of his time on the golf course in Spain. Then Keegan came back and had his great spell with the barcodes - something that still surprises me a bit even now. So there are exceptions to the rule. The right attitude, the right backroom staff, the right luck...who knows? The point is it's a gamble. It's not absolutely silly and it's certainly not absolutely sensible. Here and now we just can't be sure.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, mate. I wouldn't judge him on league finishes anyway as I think there's more to a manager than just their track record. It's just funny how some people are discounting Hodgson because Fulham finished 12th yet you'd think Kenny's record was perfect.

You can make almost any manager's record look better or worse than it is by being selective, though.

Of course you can. My reluctance with Hodgson is more to do with his style of football, and the fact that I think he's in the frame as much because he's English as anything else. I think his record with Fulham has been superb though. People seem to throw context out of the window when they compare managers. What he has achieved there taking them from a relegation battle to seventh and then getting to the UEFA Cup final would be equivalent to winning the league with us and then getting to a CL final.

Dalglish has not managed a premier league side for nearly 10 years. In my opinion that is too long not being involved day to day to just come back in and start challenging for honours straight away (and lets be honest thats what some fans would expect the minute he was announced!!). I think the game has moved on so much in the last 10 years that I personally dont think Dalglish would be the right decision.

Hodgson has been managing in all that time and has done well with Fulham 7th and 13th with them and taking them to their first ever European Final is in my opinion a success!! The guy is still extremely popular in Milan from his spell with Inter where he took over a struggling side without any real star names and finished in the top 3 and left a side that eventually went on to greater things. It could be said that he would inherit a similar situation at Liverpool.

Lets get one thing straight yes he is no Mourinho or Hiddink but big names/reputations have come to these shores in the past and failed (Ramos, Scolari, Eriksson etc..) at least Hodgson is proven in the English game....I think Dalglish has been out of it too long and the game has moved on from that generation of manager Dalglish, Graham etc...

Hodgson for me

No big names at Inter? They don't come bigger than Ronaldo, he got the Uefa cup final and finished 6th with a team that should have walked away with the league? He's not extremely popular, no one hardly remembers him, as for Kenny's 2nd season at NUFC see Hodgsons at Blackburn, where they had to step in and remove him before he got the team who won the league under Kenny only 2 years before relegated. It was like Apollo Creed V Drago but they managed to throw the towel in before he got killed.

We exist to win trophies and yet will appoint a manager who does not.

Try again

Hopefully the group assigned to find our new manager have some larger perspective than the tabloids - and some of the fans.

Having said that, Kenny is a good short term option if he wants it.

Hodgson would be a disaster, and no way if he would last more than a season.

Heart says Dalglish

Head says Hodgson.

Remember, Dalglish made a fucking mess of Newscastle and bought some absolute shite.

Hodgson would not be my first choice but on a short contract I dont think its a gamble. I would rather have Hodgson than O'Neill.

I think until we are taken over by someone with decent money we will not attract a big time manager. So in the short term I think it isnt a bad appointement if made.

Firishing 2nd to dirt in his 2nd :whistle:season

It would cost us about 2m+ to get Hodgson.I know it ain't much but the way things are going we need every penny available for transfers........Poor reason i guess not to get Hodgson, but we ain't got a pot to piss in, so

Kenny he obviously loves the club thats what we need pride and passion Roy is a decent manager but not for Liverpools long term and for that reason i dont see the point in bringing a "stranger" in (but if it was roy i'd back him all the way) for a short term project we would have to buy him out of contract about £2.5m reported i'd rather we put that towards players if Kenny takes it on no pay out needed i'm sure the players would respond to Kenny and respect him right away so were already on our way(new manager would probably have to earn that and visa-versa with the players that could take time we dont have) lets get the new man ager in now and start planning for next season

No big names at Inter? They don't come bigger than Ronaldo, he got the Uefa cup final and finished 6th with a team that should have walked away with the league? He's not extremely popular, no one hardly remembers him, as for Kenny's 2nd season at NUFC see Hodgsons at Blackburn, where they had to step in and remove him before he got the team who won the league under Kenny only 2 years before relegated. It was like Apollo Creed V Drago but they managed to throw the towel in before he got killed.

We exist to win trophies and yet will appoint a manager who does not.

Try again

Yes your right there we exist to win trophies and we have won fuck all in 4 and people are throwing themselves in front of buses because Benitez has left. The thread titled 'Woy' is exactly what I expected from people on here. He hasnt taken over and he is getting stick. Its taken 12 months for people to stop moaning about Alonsos sale. Is this what its going to be like for another 12 months with regards to the manager.

Give the fuker a chance. Someone in work today said they wont go the game if he takes over. Well fuck off then .