You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Please tell me you see the difference between the two sets of proposals, Stronts.

Of course I see the difference, what I don't see is how one is so much worse than the other.

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about when I say that you're living in your own world.

Really? My world was one where I couldn't buy, sell or trade anything over the Internet for 2 weeks. I can't imagine the decimation that had on the major retailers.

Of course I see the difference, what I don't see is how one is so much worse than the other.

Really? My world was one where I couldn't buy, sell or trade anything over the Internet for 2 weeks. I can't imagine the decimation that had on the major retailers.

People were still buying and selling things, they were just arriving late. Play and Amazon didn't shut down for a fortnight, did they?

I imagine it did cause trouble for people but what about the hike in personal injury claims, private medical centres, private dental practices, private plough hire or garage recovery services? Not to mention retailers of scarves, coal, carrots and sleds?

I wonder what the figures for last winter were? I can't be arsed looking so that's why I'm wondering. Be interesting if the economy still grew despite the same snow-based chaos.

People were still buying and selling things, they were just arriving late. Play and Amazon didn't shut down for a fortnight, did they?

I think a lot of stuff got delayed and returned for refunds, and a lot of people (eg me) put off buying stuff due to the weather (which reminds me, I must pick up my girlfriend's Christmas present this week).

I imagine it did cause trouble for people but what about the hike in personal injury claims, private medical centres, private dental practices, private plough hire or garage recovery services? Not to mention retailers of scarves, coal, carrots and sleds?

Incidentally, the fact that stuff like personal injury claims contributes to the GDP just shows the limitations of GDP as a measure of economic success.

I wonder what the figures for last winter were? I can't be arsed looking so that's why I'm wondering. Be interesting if the economy still grew despite the same snow-based chaos.

It was up 0.3%, that was revised upwards from the original 0.1% estimate (remember the -0.5% figure is an estimate, it could be more or less). It was the first quarter out of recession. I don't think the ice was as long lasting back then though,not in the rest of the country anyway. Heathrow was out of action for a week this time around.

Come on stronts, don't ignore me. We know you think I'm a 'stupid cunt', but you going to try and insist mobility benefit isn't going to be cut until October2012.

I know it's already started, your government knows it has, have they not informed you?

Get yor own insult. I'm watching you sunshine :telloff:

It's interesting how the collapse of the banking system wasn't acceptable for Labour to use as mitigating circumstances, yet a few flakes of snow are? Where is this grown up politics I keep hearing about.

Mate, hate to pop up on SD's side of the fence but I see through all of this and so should you, Labour bailed out the banks with our money.(They also took us to 'war' with two armyless third world countries under sanction who had never raised a finger to us, we blew them to bits anyway, as Blair says, just to be on the safe side. They didn't come cheap either all those raggedly blown up people in blood and dusted jeans.)

Yes, the Tories and yellow bellies would have done the same but is that not the point. It's our money and I wouldn't trust any party with it, yet they go on as if they have the god earned right to spend it on their banker freinds, who then have the temerity to stuff it into their own coffers and then charge us interest to lend it to us. Then make a profit out of us, ruining many on the way, they have the temerity to bankrupt others?

So then we pay twice, nar three times when you count tax. It's not fair and any fair minded person would want to kill all of these men, not just Cameron Clegg. All they are doing is following Gordon Brown's policies to their logical conclusion, skim off the poor to pay for the rich.

If Brown had a different idea we would have heard it by now, neither has the rest of Labour.

None of them have even grasped the issues because the system we have in place is designed to be cosmetic, it's easier to appoint a spin doctor that actually deal with the issues, so why waste time on them, they won't get you into office, spend that time decided which spin doc is right for you and let the PR machine whizz away at those inconvenient questions.

The press can scratch your back so long as you scratch theirs and more importantly, their corporate advertisers whose bribery enables them to outmuscle any challengers. If you have a problem with any press, ban them from your press conferences and avoid any engagement with the public as much as possible, we don't want any 'Bigot Brown' moments, they'll get you voted out, not stealing our childrens money for rich people, you would get away with it were it not for those pesky OAP's though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Just me who had relatively little trouble right up 'til 23rd/24th then? I ordered something on the 21st and it was here on the 22nd.

I think discounting the quarterly results, that are actually heavily weighted to the first two months of the quarter, just because of a week of disruption, is pretty weak. I'm not saying it had no influence - of course it did - but -0.5%, an estimate that is more likely to go south rather than north in my opinion, isn't unsubstantial when it was predicted as up to 0.6% growth.

We're teetering on the edge at the moment. We need to be careful.

Okay... massively pales in comparison to many cuts, but I was disgusted to find out today that the government no longer prints leaflets to inform the elderly about the pension ombudsman. I work in the pension industry and we used the last of them today after a complaint was handled (the ombudsman is there to act after a private complaint procedure has taken place).

The DWP told us to point people in the direction of the online leaflet... Pensioners... some up to the age of 80. Online only. That leaflet is required to give people info they NEED to excercise their rights. The cost of any upheld case is paid for by the provider anyway, so it's a subsidised service. Very petty and uneccesary cut, aimed squarely at people who have worked their whole lives and deserve respectful treatment at this point.

Okay... massively pales in comparison to many cuts, but I was disgusted to find out today that the government no longer prints leaflets to inform the elderly about the pension ombudsman. I work in the pension industry and we used the last of them today after a complaint was handled (the ombudsman is there to act after a private complaint procedure has taken place).

The DWP told us to point people in the direction of the online leaflet... Pensioners... some up to the age of 80. Online only. That leaflet is required to give people info they NEED to excercise their rights. The cost of any upheld case is paid for by the provider anyway, so it's a subsidised service. Very petty and uneccesary cut, aimed squarely at people who have worked their whole lives and deserve respectful treatment at this point.

Where is the media on that? Nowhere.

Just me who had relatively little trouble right up 'til 23rd/24th then? I ordered something on the 21st and it was here on the 22nd.

I think discounting the quarterly results, that are actually heavily weighted to the first two months of the quarter, just because of a week of disruption, is pretty weak. I'm not saying it had no influence - of course it did - but -0.5%, an estimate that is more likely to go south rather than north in my opinion, isn't unsubstantial when it was predicted as up to 0.6% growth.

We're teetering on the edge at the moment. We need to be careful.

The ONS gave an adjusted figure taking into account the effect of the snow of 0% growth. The ConDems are really starting to put their stamp on the economy - stagflation here we come!

My personal experience at work is that the cuts are now starting to really bite - lots of firms providing support to vulnerable people are imposing average 20% wage cuts on staff, 'restructuring' and redundancies. Lots of local government redundancies being announced in the last week or two. The shit has barely started. Meanwhile bankers bonuses and top salaries in large companies are growing steadily.

Why is anyone surprised? Your chancellor has a history degree and cut his teeth in a data entry job.

Education

Osborne was educated at two independent schools in west London: at Norland Place School in Holland Park and St Paul's School in Barnes (near Hammersmith),[10] followed by a Bachelor's degree at Magdalen College at the University of Oxford[2] where he received a 2:1 in Modern History.

WorkingOsborne's first job was to provide data entry services to the National Health Service to record the names of people who had died in London.[13] He also briefly worked for Selfridges. He originally intended to pursue a career in journalism, but instead got a job at Conservative Central Office.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

"He originally intended to pursue a career in journalism, but instead got a job at Conservative Central Office"

With hindsight, I think he made the right choice.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The ONS gave an adjusted figure taking into account the effect of the snow of 0% growth. The ConDems are really starting to put their stamp on the economy - stagflation here we come!

Sorry, mate. I missed this. Yes, I saw the '0% without snow' prediction. With VAT, and possibly more harsh weather, I'd not be shocked if a double-dip recession was earlier than I predicted.

We might still have to, but I thought we'd have to wait 'til the savage cuts really start to hit before rampaging into another recession. Looks like it could be on its way pretty soon if we're not lucky. I hope not, because it's one prediction that I really hope to be wrong about.

Sorry, mate. I missed this. Yes, I saw the '0% without snow' prediction. With VAT, and possibly more harsh weather, I'd not be shocked if a double-dip recession was earlier than I predicted.

We might still have to, but I thought we'd have to wait 'til the savage cuts really start to hit before rampaging into another recession. Looks like it could be on its way pretty soon if we're not lucky. I hope not, because it's one prediction that I really hope to be wrong about.

What a guy!

ace_rimmer.jpg

'Poor will be main victims'

Leading doctors warned today that it's the poor who will lose out in NHS reforms while the rich will be the ones to reap the benefits of more choice.

British Medical Association GP committee chairman Laurence Buckman warned that patients will be reduced to "internal medical tourists" under the government's Health and Social Care Bill that will see £80 billion of the NHS budget commissioned by consortiums of GPs.

He said that because the amount of choice open to patients will be based on how much you earn "only the rich will be able to exercise real control."

This will leave the poor, elderly and vulnerable losing out to richer patients who have the money to shop around and demand the right to see a doctor, he said.

A spokeswoman for the BMA said: "The patient choice agenda pursued under these proposals risks placing choice ahead of fairness, thereby increasing inequalities in health.

"This could ultimately restrict many people's choices as services decrease or favour those who can negotiate more effectively and whose needs can be met most easily and profitably.

"There is evidence to suggest that everyone benefits from a more equal society - not just the least well-off."

Campaign group Health Emergency director John Lister said the reforms represent the biggest privatisation of healthcare anywhere in the world.

He said: "Nobody voted for this. The danger of a new 'postcode lottery' of unequal access to health services from one area to the next is also increased by entrusting GPs, whose track record on commissioning and financial controls has been consistently poor, to handle such large budgets for which they have no training or expertise.

"'Patient choice' for those denied the treatment they need under the NHS will be a simple one: either go private, and pay through the nose for treatment that used to be free at point of use - or go without."

The Tories have received more than £200,000 in donations from private provider Care UK, which has also been awarded a £53 million NHS prison health contract.

But a Department of Health spokeswoman said Health Secretary Andrew Lansley had not been influenced by the cash.

Health union Unison is urging everyone to contact their MP to vote against the Bill that will get its second reading in Parliament next Monday.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Its frightening that someone like that is running the counries finances with absolutely no qualification/justification what so ever.

Quite. It's not like we're Azerbaijan, either. We're one of the most influential countries in Europe and the world.

If it wasn't so fucking scary, it'd be funny.

Why is anyone surprised? Your chancellor has a history degree and cut his teeth in a data entry job.

Its frightening that someone like that is running the counries finances with absolutely no qualification/justification what so ever.

Quite. It's not like we're Azerbaijan, either. We're one of the most influential countries in Europe and the world.

If it wasn't so fucking scary, it'd be funny.

third_duel_396x222.jpg

At Gideon's House

E: Sir, if I may make so bold, a major crisis has arisen in your affairs.

G: Yes, I know, Blackadder. I've been pondering it all morning.

E: You have, sir?

G: Yes -- socks! Run out again!! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any?

E: Sir, with your forgiveness, there is another, even weightier, problem.

G: They just...disappear! Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things and then selling them off.

E: (laughs) Impossible, sir. Only you and I have access to your socks.

G: Yes, yes, you're right. Still; for me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

He said that because the amount of choice open to patients will be based on how much you earn "only the rich will be able to exercise real control."

This will leave the poor, elderly and vulnerable losing out to richer patients who have the money to shop around and demand the right to see a doctor, he said.

The Tories have received more than £200,000 in donations from private provider Care UK, which has also been awarded a £53 million NHS prison health contract.

About as revelatory as day turning to night.

Cunts.

Hello?

Hello what? Believe it or not, some of us still have jobs and can't spend all day on TLW. Give me a fucking chance to read the thread, will you?

Now then...

Come on stronts, don't ignore me. We know you think I'm a 'stupid cunt', but you going to try and insist mobility benefit isn't going to be cut until October2012.

I know it's already started, your government knows it has, have they not informed you?

Apparently they haven't told anyone else either:

Maria Miller, minister for disabled people, was unmoved. Reaffirming that the proposed withdrawal of eligibility for the component from October 2012 was "to remove overlaps in the payment of mobility support", she said: "It is not intended to lead to a loss of independence and we remain committed to promoting greater personalisation for disabled people."
As a residential care provider, the National Society for Epilepsy is concerned to hear of the government’s plans to cut the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance for people in residential care from October 2012.
From October 2012:

Removal of disability living allowance mobility component for people in residential care and the motability extension for hospital in-patients. See the DWP business plan 2011-2015 and the DWP spending review page.

Anyone else as confused as me?

It's interesting how the collapse of the banking system wasn't acceptable for Labour to use as mitigating circumstances, yet a few flakes of snow are?

What's sauce for the goose...

Brown blames weather for growth slowdown

Friday, 23, Apr 2010 12:19

By politics.co.uk staff

Gordon Brown has admitted the economic recovery is "fragile", after the latest official figures showed the growth rate had slowed to just 0.2%.

GDP figures released today by the Office of National Statistics (ONS) showed that gross domestic product (GDP) for the first three months of the year went up by 0.2%, down from the fourth quarter of 2009's 0.4%.

Predictions in a Reuters poll had fluctuated from 0.2% to 0.5%, with some warning that bad weather would have damaged output. Mr Brown used the weather as an excuse in a Labour party press conference this morning.

"The reason that growth has been slow is you remember what happened in January and February," the prime minister said.

"Retail sales were very slow because the VAT reduction was withdrawn.

"Then we had a terrible month of weather which hindered transport and communications in business in the country."

Now I thought that was a fair excuse a year ago, and I don't see what has changed.

That's why the Tory voters don't need the state, because they've got the means to get things done the way they want. Choice in the Tory language means 'buy it yourself'.

Of course it does. The funny thing is that the tory voter will moan and bitch when the people they've cut the ladder from break into their home and steal their shit. Survival of the fittest is only fair when comparing bank balances apparently.

The idea that the private sector "Competing" for public work is efficient is laughably naive. Try checking out the correlation between funding and contracts if you want a framework that reflects reality.