You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen, Fowler, Heskey and Litmanen

Dave D

Four good/great strikers all in the same squad. At the same time I seem to remember Utd having Yorke, Cole, Solskjaer and Sherringham.

When did football suddenly change and decide you need only one injury prone world class forward eg: Drogba, Torres, Rooney, Van Persie. When either of those players is out their team struggle with the alternatives they have.

The only two teams I can think of that still subscribe to the "four decent forwards" way of thinking are Spurs and City and it still seems to work for them.

One up front is a pish tactic and I'm sick of seeing it. Not just from us, but in general. Lets clog the midfield with as many bodies as possible. I hate it. I want two up front with one joining them from the midfield.

Torres - A Quality Striker

Gerrard

Why we have persisted with one up top is beyond me. Its boring as hell most of the time.

Four good/great strikers all in the same squad. At the same time I seem to remember Utd having Yorke, Cole, Solskjaer and Sherringham.

When did football suddenly change and decide you need only one injury prone world class forward eg: Drogba, Torres, Rooney, Van Persie. When either of those players is out their team struggle with the alternatives they have.

The only two teams I can think of that still subscribe to the "four decent forwards" way of thinking are Spurs and City and it still seems to work for them.

Take the teams that won the League for the last 6 years.

How many front-line strikers did they have?

What were they doing wrong?

One up front is a pish tactic and I'm sick of seeing it. Not just from us, but in general. Lets clog the midfield with as many bodies as possible. I hate it. I want two up front with one joining them from the midfield.

Torres - A Quality Striker

Gerrard

Why we have persisted with one up top is beyond me. Its boring as hell most of the time.

Read some of these articles: Zonal Marking | Football tactics, formations, diagrams, chalkboards and graphs

Or Jonathan Wilson at the guardian.

Litmanen was one of the best footballers to never play for Liverpool.

Every single week I used to turn up hoping beyond hope that Jari was starting only to be confronted by Heskeys name on the team sheet. Fuck me it was painful. Class footballer Litmanen.

Guest PurpleNose

Barcelona often play one upfront.

They're quite good.

Almost all teams play four at the back now, and many just one upfront. So you're arranging the other five. Formations can be important, but movement and mentality are more so.

We could play four upfront. Yet still have a back four, and two holding midfielders. It would encourage us to play even worse football.

Having five in midfield isn't negative per se. Having two out and out holding midfielders, two wide men who spend more time tracking back than going forward, and can't beat a man even when they do, and a number 10 who doesn't look arsed, is why we're shite.

For us it's pretty simple. With the system we play, we need solid central defenders who can pass well and full backs who provide the width, with the two DMs covering them. We have one of the four in the back at the moment (Johnson), and a second when he is played as a CB (Agger).

The number of "strikers" is irrelevant as long as the wide midfielders keep cutting in all the time (which they do), that's when the full backs are needed also in the attack.

And yes, misuse of Litmanen was probably the difference between Houllier being a massive success and his eventual fate. We'd need someone like him right now, as well.

For us it's pretty simple. With the system we play, we need solid central defenders who can pass well and full backs who provide the width, with the two DMs covering them. We have one of the four in the back at the moment (Johnson), and a second when he is played as a CB (Agger).

The number of "strikers" is irrelevant as long as the wide midfielders keep cutting in all the time (which they do), that's when the full backs are needed also in the attack.

And yes, misuse of Litmanen was probably the difference between Houllier being a massive success and his eventual fate. We'd need someone like him right now, as well.

Agreed. I think if we could find a Litmanen / Bergkamp style player now we would be a totally different proposition. I dont know whether that player exists at the moment though and with our scouts we will never discover him!

Guest PurpleNose
Barca only really play one up front when Ibrahimovic plays. Otherwise it'd be interchangeable (sp) types like Messi, Pedro, Bojan or Iniesta.

Three of the four players you've mentioned have played upfront on their own at various times this season.

The difference is the types of players all over the pitch, how high up the pitch, and well, they press, and the fact they're able to pass the ball to each other in the opposition's half.

Three of the four players you've mentioned have played upfront on their own at various times this season.

The difference is the types of players all over the pitch, how high up the pitch, and well, they press, and the fact they're able to pass the ball to each other in the opposition's half.

They're interchangeable, like I said.

And their player's can pass the ball to each other from five yards away, never mind in the opponent's half.

Guest PurpleNose
They're interchangeable, like I said.

And their player's can pass the ball to each other from five yards away, never mind in the opponent's half.

They're interchangeable, but only one of them is playing as a striker at any one time. Its the movement that almost renders their formation as irrelevant, which was kind of my original point.

I'd settle for our team managing to pass the ball to each other in the opposition's half before anything fancy like very short passing, one touch stuff etc

A central three of Mascherano, Lucas and Gerrard is never going to produce beautiful football.