You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

WhiskeyJar

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd look into those Opta stats. Pretty impressive from Lucas, I must say. Among the highest in tackles and passing.

Tacklers Team Tackles Success rate

Mascherano Liverpool 127 83%

Thomas Wigan 127 76%

Palacios Tottenham 113 74%

Lucas Liverpool 111 67%

Muamba Bolton 101 66%

Passers Team Passes Accuracy

Fabregas Arsenal 1615 80%

Mascherano Liverpool 1577 82%

Lucas Liverpool 1463 84%

Terry Chelsea 1454 88%

Huddlestone Tottenham 1424 80%

Sky Sports | Football | Features | Premier League stats

the tackles one is surprising, not the number, but the success rate. Thats higher than i would have expected.

The passes stat is meaningless though. His passing is accurate because too often he plays the simple option that gives us no benefit other than keeping the ball.

The best pass he made on sunday was actually an unsuccessful (or UNSUCCESSFUL for RedShadow!) pass, as it was cut out, but it was still the pass of the day, and still resulted in a goal.

I like Lucas, and i think he's come on a long way in the last 2 years or so, but he needs to be more willing to play those types of passes, he needs to be more expansive and lets be honest, he needs to be willing to shoot now and then, before he can step up to a level where he is a truly worthwhile addition to the side.

He's fine, he's not bad, he can do a job, but we need far more than that in what is a vital position for us, so he needs to step up for my money.

the tackles one is surprising, not the number, but the success rate. Thats higher than i would have expected.

The passes stat is meaningless though. His passing is accurate because too often he plays the simple option that gives us no benefit other than keeping the ball.

Agreed. Passing the ball 10 yards left, right and backward doesnt mean shit. I'm suprised that it isn't 100% to be honest.

The first thing you learn how to do is pass the ball, Lucas just hasn't progressed.

He does that all game, then 1 in every 20 games he'll pass it forward. I think the lad is shit scared to make any sort of mistake anymore because he'll feel the wrath of those just waiting to leather him. I feel arl-arse on Lucas because it's not his fault he's getting picked, however it his his fault the way he plays.

Guest PurpleNose
I feel arl-arse on Lucas because it's not his fault he's getting picked, however it his his fault the way he plays.

But is it?

How much of the sideways passing, reluctance to break forward (and make telling passes) etc is from the manager?

How much license does he have to get forward?

As many have pointed out, he was a much different player in Brazil.

Perhaps he appears limited because thats exactly what he's instructed to be.

But is it?

How much of the sideways passing, reluctance to break forward (and make telling passes) etc is from the manager?

How much license does he have to get forward?

As many have pointed out, he was a much different player in Brazil.

Perhaps he appears limited because thats exactly what he's instructed to be.

Maybe so, but I think we'd have found out by now if the lads got 'it'.

Take Aquilani for example, even though we've only about 10 mins of him, you can tell there's a good player in there. I just can't see it with Lucas.

If we want to get back up there we need players in centre mid to smash through walls for us and have that touch of quality, not run into the wall and fall flat on there arse's.

Voted 'unsure' because I think yes or no was too bombastic. He's been alright this season, but he's not as good as we wish he would be. He does get far too much criticism in my opinion, though. He's still learning his trade and if he can sort out his passing he can turn out alright.

Agreed. Passing the ball 10 yards left, right and backward doesnt mean shit. I'm suprised that it isn't 100% to be honest.

The first thing you learn how to do is pass the ball, Lucas just hasn't progressed.

He does that all game, then 1 in every 20 games he'll pass it forward. I think the lad is shit scared to make any sort of mistake anymore because he'll feel the wrath of those just waiting to leather him. I feel arl-arse on Lucas because it's not his fault he's getting picked, however it his his fault the way he plays.

The highlights of Lucas play, when he's done well, has been his forward passing. His pass to Torres on Sunday for the second goal was superb. He's also cut out those stupid challenges that he used to get booked on all the time. But the way he fell over when Pedersen had him on Sunday suggests he wasnt prepared for the challenge, which after 3 years in our league is pretty poor.

For 6m I think he was a good buy and has done well this season, is he good enough to be considered 1st choice no, we still need better in there, but he's certainly a very good squad player who is a good third choice.

Of course we need Lucas. He helps us stay compact and helps us contain. Aquilani was a pointless buy. Rafa would never play an attacking midfielder like him and just Mascher holding. Would go against his footballing principles. He's so defensive he even plays a midfielder as a second striker

if any 2 players so completely sum up Rafa the man and his attitude to football it's Lucas and Aquilani

I really want to reply, I really really would....but it would just fall on deaf ears so I wont bother.

Instead how about watching a youtube video about an orange:

[YOUTUBE]Xp9f7Gn4AQw&feature=fvhr[/YOUTUBE]

Guest TK-421
Of course we need Lucas. He helps us stay compact and helps us contain. Aquilani was a pointless buy. Rafa would never play an attacking midfielder like him and just Mascher holding. Would go against his footballing principles. He's so defensive he even plays a midfielder as a second striker

Are you Rashid?

Are you Rashid?

No I'm not. Anything else?

Is Aquilani a Rafa type player? Lucas is not good enough to be a starter in this team or any other team with aspirations of winning anything . Not his fault, much like Kuyt he's been asked to play a role that he wasn't playing when we signed him. He was a box to box player. Take a kid out of another country into a new league..if that wasn't enough to adjust to, ask him to play a different role.

Great management. Rather than converting players, why don't we buy players who actually play those roles and positions