You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

WhiskeyJar

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's definitely in the team on merit and I think overall he's played better than Mascherano this year. But put things in context; he's quite a limited player right now. He's no different from any workaday player in a middling to bottom prem or a club in the top half of the championship. He may improve, he may not. It's probably a bit late for him to get much better. I don't hate him at all, he's in the team on merit I think - that's more to do with others being worse than him, rather than him being worth his place in ability terms. I admire his ability to battle through some very very poor performances to produce what are improved but still average displays.

Let's not forget, he's not the only regular player that is below the standard we should really be looking to achieve.

I am hoping that in his time at Anfield, playing alongside Masch, that he is learning the tools of his trade. So every game he plays next to Mascherano is an opportunity for him to learn, take his licks, make his mistakes. And he doesn't give up. That said, I don't think he's a good enough DM (yet) to start. But let's hold onto him.

He should not play in the midfield alongside Mascherano as the whole thing is then too defensive.

He has improved as a player and doesn't look out of place as a first teamer, but Mascher is the better defensive midfielder so Lucas should still be back up, given the players we have.

He's definitely in the team on merit and I think overall he's played better than Mascherano this year. But put things in context; he's quite a limited player right now. He's no different from any workaday player in a middling to bottom prem or a club in the top half of the championship. He may improve, he may not. It's probably a bit late for him to get much better. I don't hate him at all, he's in the team on merit I think - that's more to do with others being worse than him, rather than him being worth his place in ability terms. I admire his ability to battle through some very very poor performances to produce what are improved but still average displays.

Let's not forget, he's not the only regular player that is below the standard we should really be looking to achieve.

WHAT?!?!?!

Are you pulling my plonker? He has improved, which is fine, and his attitude is great, which really helps, but he hasn't been better than anyone!!!

I like the lad. He's not a liability in any way, but he's average at best. At fucking best.

Mascherano was stinking the place out for almost half the season imo. Not as bad as Kuyt or Insua, but pretty poor. Admittedly he has since put in a few really impressive displays, and we all know he can do it, but we often fall into the trap on the back of a good performance of forgetting all the terrible stuff. Kuyt gets away with murder in that respect. Lucas and Insua aren't so fortunate, but as I say, Lucas hasn't been the worst by a long chalk.

Mascherano was stinking the place out for almost half the season imo. Not as bad as Kuyt or Insua, but pretty poor. Admittedly he has since put in a few really impressive displays, and we all know he can do it, but we often fall into the trap on the back of a good performance of forgetting all the terrible stuff. Kuyt gets away with murder in that respect. Lucas and Insua aren't so fortunate, but as I say, Lucas hasn't been the worst by a long chalk.

Masch gets away with it because he's probably one of the top three defensive midfielders in the world when he's on his game, it's always worth persevering with a player like that just in case they find some form and bring the house down. Lucas at his very, very best could probably just about keep up with Masch if he had AIDS.

100% agree with all of that. The only thing I'd add personally, is that Masch having a stinker is pretty much what we get from Lucas week in, week out. That just shows the level Masch is in comparison. I wouldn't say Lucas's been the out and out worst, but he's been no better than the others you mentioned at the bottom of the form chart. They all have the "right attitude" though, so we all make those extra allowances for them, which we should if someone's doing the best they can, but that can only allow a certain amount of grace and the clock is ticking now

My biggest problem with Lucas is that Benitez clearly had him in my mind for Alonso's replacement all along. Why he bought Aquilani I'll never know because Lucas is clearly his guy, and he's nowhere near good enough.

I don't agree with that at all.

Lucas was third or fourth choice behind Alonso, Mascherano and sometimes Gerrard for the past two seasons. When Rafa bought Aquilani he said it was to play him between Mascherano and Gerrard, a different player to Alonso but one who could make passes and get the team attacking. Lucas plays because he’s always fit, and Rafa doesn’t trust Aquilani, or Aquilani is shit (can’t tell because he hasn’t played enough).

There is no way Lucas as first choice was the plan.

Masch gets away with it because he's probably one of the top three defensive midfielders in the world when he's on his game, it's always worth persevering with a player like that just in case they find some form and bring the house down. Lucas at his very, very best could probably just about keep up with Masch if he had AIDS.

I'm not disagreeing that Mascherano is a good player. I think he's overhyped, frankly, but I do think he's an excellent player. Rafa has a penchant for persisting with very average or poor players as well. For the remainder of the season I would prefer to see Gerrard and Mascherano in midfield, Aquilani given a go in the Bergkamp role, and Maxi and Benayoun in the wide positions. I would not spend my time worrying about the opposition, because that's all Rafa seems to do and lets face it it hasn't worked this year. Who knows, we might even play well enough to sway a couple of the Rafa doubters away from the dark side?

I'm not disagreeing that Mascherano is a good player. I think he's overhyped, frankly, but I do think he's an excellent player. Rafa has a penchant for persisting with very average or poor players as well. For the remainder of the season I would prefer to see Gerrard and Mascherano in midfield, Aquilani given a go in the Bergkamp role, and Maxi and Benayoun in the wide positions. I would not spend my time worrying about the opposition, because that's all Rafa seems to do and lets face it it hasn't worked this year. Who knows, we might even play well enough to sway a couple of the Rafa doubters away from the dark side?

Kuyt on his own up top then eh?

Can't tackle, not mobile enough, not creative enough, does not score goals, slows the play down when he receives the ball, first thought is to pass back and sidewards leaving the defenders to start attacks, a very limited player who has played has more games at this club than he should have but sums up everything about the way we now play football under Benitez.

I don't agree with that at all.

Lucas was third or fourth choice behind Alonso, Mascherano and sometimes Gerrard for the past two seasons. When Rafa bought Aquilani he said it was to play him between Mascherano and Gerrard, a different player to Alonso but one who could make passes and get the team attacking. Lucas plays because he’s always fit, and Rafa doesn’t trust Aquilani, or Aquilani is shit (can’t tell because he hasn’t played enough).

There is no way Lucas as first choice was the plan.

You'd like to think that but here we are in March and Lucas is in midfield for most games and Aquilani is sitting on the bench. Either Rafa is incredibly naive with his scouting or Lucas was always the plan.

Can't tackle, not mobile enough, not creative enough, does not score goals, slows the play down when he receives the ball, first thought is to pass back and sidewards leaving the defenders to start attacks, a very limited player who has played has more games at this club than he should have but sums up everything about the way we now play football under Benitez.

You're going to have to narrow it down a bit if you want us to guess who you're talking about.

You'd like to think that but here we are in March and Lucas is in midfield for most games and Aquilani is sitting on the bench. Either Rafa is incredibly naive with his scouting or Lucas was always the plan.

But then the plan would be to spend 20 million quid on someone to sit on the bench while our midfield isn't good enough?

I mean, both ways aren't very good, but I think bad signing makes more sense.

Dirk aside - because, to be fair you stopped being objectional about him ages ago - I agree with that. I would happily sell both Mascherano and Lucas in the summer if we looked likely to pick up £35m for them( I'm confident that the formers reputation will sky-rocket during the world cup) and were guaranteed reinforcement.

I don't think either is, or this season has been, doing anything that most good midfielders wouldn't replicate with ease and add more. For that reason I would gladly part with them and try to get some, err well, attacking talent.