You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

WhiskeyJar

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the use of the word "decimate" that irks me. Historically the word meant "take the tenth man". Applying a strict literal interpretation of the word it means "to reduce by one tenth of" - that's where the "dec" part comes in. Nowadays it's wrongly used to describe something being almost totally destroyed. The meaning of words is changing and all people care about is Lucas being compared to Didi.

You make a good point but I'd like to think that silverlining is warming to Lucas and accepts that Benitaur is 90% correct.

The fact that Hamann was already 26 years old, and already a German National team regular, already played for Bayern and Newcastle at the highest level have anything to do with it?

Lucas came as a 19/20 year old, voted the best player in the Brazilian league. Already a Brazilian national team squad player. Under 20 Brazil captain.

If allowed to progress, I have no doubt at 26 years old he would be better than Hamann was at the same age.

For those saying Hamann is better, Momo was better than Hamann when we allowed him to leave. Lucas is a better player than Momo.

Thats my point above.

BTW Hamann plays NOTHING like Masch. They may both play as DMs but their style is nothing alike.

Lucas is better than Momo....Maybe by a mile?....Holly shit.

Guest TK-421
You make a good point but I'd like to think that silverlining is warming to Lucas and accepts that Benitaur is 90% correct.

That's how I'm reading it.

It's the use of the word "decimate" that irks me. Historically the word meant "take the tenth man". Applying a strict literal interpretation of the word it means "to reduce by one tenth of" - that's where the "dec" part comes in. Nowadays it's wrongly used to describe something being almost totally destroyed. The meaning of words is changing and all people care about is Lucas being compared to Didi.

I'm well aware of the etymology of the word, thanks eversomuch, however this is one of (many) examples of words that have, over time, evolved a different, or additional meaning, and any cursory glance at a dictionary definition of "decimate" is ample evidence of this.

So, summing up, it is entirely erroneous of you to suggest that it is "wrongly used" in the context of "destroying", and I would also humbly suggest that you fuck with a different marine in the future.

Hamann is one of those players who get's better and better the longer it's been since he played for us. His personality is indeed very cool but I remember being horribly annoyed with his reluctance to pass the ball forward.

He was a good player for the club but it is far from unreasonable to think that Lucas can be just as good.

Guest TK-421
I'm well aware of the etymology of the word, thanks eversomuch, however this is one of (many) examples of words that have, over time, evolved a different, or additional meaning, and any cursory glance at a dictionary definition of "decimate" is ample evidence of this.

So, summing up, it is entirely erroneous of you to suggest that it is "wrongly used" in the context of "destroying", and I would also humbly suggest that you fuck with a different marine in the future.

No. It's annoying because it's meant to be a specific term, but morons have used it out of context over a long period of time and the new (wrong) meaning has become accepted.

Are we to start using the written form of the number 7 as meaning 8? Would that fly with you? That's ok, is it?

No. It's annoying because it's meant to be a specific term, but morons have used it out of context over a long period of time and the new (wrong) meaning has become accepted.

Are we to start using the written form of the number 7 as meaning 8? Would that fly with you? That's ok, is it?

That's soooo gay.....

Peoples judgements often get clouded when you end up having a lot of shite players in the team, because you start to think the average ones are better than they actually are. Lucas IS average, he would not have got anywhere near a Liverpool first team 20 years ago, and it just goes to show how much standards are starting to drop.

Lucas is performing at the top of his game right now, but the top of his game is still not good enough for LFC unfortunately.

Peoples judgements often get clouded when you end up having a lot of shite players in the team, because you start to think the average ones are better than they actually are. Lucas IS average, he would not have got anywhere near a Liverpool first team 20 years ago, and it just goes to show how much standards are starting to drop.

Lucas is performing at the top of his game right now, but the top of his game is still not good enough for LFC unfortunately.

Mate the fact he is in the top 3 is an indication that the standards of a whole bunch of players who are far better than him have dropped. That's what we need to be fixing.

At the top of his game at 23?

I can only judge him on what i've seen of him so far, and up to now this is the best i've seen him play in a Liverpool shirt and it still leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. He may develop into a better player 4 years down the line but we simply dont have that luxury of having a squad good enough to support players of his standard if we are serious about challenging for titles and such.

Hamann was class. How you can even compare the two is bizarre.

I said his style is more like Hamann than Alonso. I am cannot compare them considering Hamann is past his prime, and Lucas is around 5 years before he hit his.

If you want to compare, fine. Hamann at the same age (20) was struggling to get into the Bayern first team squad. Lucas already was the best player in the Brazilian league, captain of the Brasil under 21s.

By 23, both players broke into the first team of Liverpool and Bayern respectively after being a bench player.

Once Lucas gets more confidence and starts scoring, we will finally see the Lucas that we bought from Gremio. He has ghosted into good scoring positions several times already this season, but has yet to convert.

By comparison with his peers of CMs bought by our rivals, I dare say I rate Lucas above Anderson, Denilson or Mikel.