You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

WhiskeyJar

Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. Has Lucas improved enough to warrant him being a first team regular?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm not. Anything else?

Yes, I would like to know how many parallel universes there are, why is Higg's boson, is Higg's boson, and what is the effect of Lucas on these questions, and also, what is the effect of these questions on Lucas and his passing percentage, and I would like to see the statistics you use to come to your conclusions divided between home and away games.

Voted unsure- Lucas has proven that he can have a future at Liverpool, but he is not good enough to start every game. I am impressed with his attitude- he has worked hard and improved his game- if he continues improving I could see him develop into a very good midfield player for Liverpool over the next couple of seasons.

He's had some good games and shown some flashes of promise, such as the through ball to Torres on the weekend which was brilliant.

He's played over 100 games though, so i'd expect more than the odd fleating moment of quality.

Overall he's a decent player but not good enough to be playing regularly for us right now, based on the players available.

Having said that, bearing in mind our financial issues, if Mascherano left and we had some money to spend, you could argue that it would be worth giving him a go in that role to save yourself a lot of money.

The above is the epitome of wit, you remain my hero. Besides, I've got an excuse, I'm a suit, what's yours?

Due to the gifts bestowed on me via genetics and environment, I don't need one.

I do wear a suit occasionally, even for work. Today it's the killer combination of formal shirt, jeans and sexy handmade shoes. I'm so hot I burn myself sometimes.

Here is one person who beleives that Lucas is a first team regular:

---------------------------------------

Lucas Leiva believes Liverpool's mixed start to the season helped mould him into a first-team regular.

lucas09813.jpg

The Brazilian, who was included in his nation's squad for the friendly win over Ireland on Tuesday, has figured in every Barclays Premier League fixture the Reds have played so far this term, establishing himself as a consistent figure in Rafael Benitez's midfield.

However, while confident his game has improved over the course of 2009-10, Lucas insists he still has work to do.

He told LFC Weekly: "I've learned a lot more about myself and become a stronger person and player. It has made me desperate to prove people wrong.

"There have been times (in the past) when I thought I may have made the wrong decision but now I am sure that I have made the right one.

"My game has changed a lot since leaving Brazil. I was able to attack more at Gremio because I played with two defensive midfielders, In England you have more responsibility.

"I still think I have some work to do if all the fans are going to believe in me. I'm happy and I feel I'm improving. But it isn't about me, it's about the club doing well."

Lucas's sentiments are echoed by Benitez, who is adamant the 23-year-old can blossom even further at Anfield.

"I know he can improve so much more," said the Reds boss.

"When I was talking about him before he signed, I was telling people we were signing the captain of Gremio - and he was only 19.

"That means something. You do not captain teams in Brazil at such a level at that age if you are not a strong character with a good mentality. Hopefully he will continue to grow with us."

Lucas: My learning curve - Liverpool FC

P.S: Love his determination and his dedication. If Rafa backs him all the way then he has my blessing.

I don't think Lucas' mentality has ever been in question.

Watch him playing for Gremio and you can see he hasn't got the same confidence now as he had back then. Hopefully a few goals will sort it out. There's not question the wringer he's been through has changed him. More resilient, but more cynical which is sad.

I've seen enough of him to know he's not good enough. Thats just me though. I've been singing his new song recently, but thats for a laugh more than anything.

To the tune of "love is in the air".

Lucas Leiva yeah. doo doo doo, doo doo doo, LUCAS LEIVA YEAAAH!

It's shit and will never catch on but we sang it all over Bucharest last week. Good times.