You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Threatened with the sack

Conor

I work for a well known multi national company in sales. While in these tough times profits are down and market share is decreasing however we are still making a healthy profit. Ive been here 10 years and worked my way up the ladder from the call centre to my current position as a National Account Manager.

Anyway last week one of the senior managers threatened me with the sack should i lose an account. The account in question is currently out to tender and im hopeful of retaining the business. While the account in question is important to the company, we have lost/won tenders much larger in the past. In all my time with the company i have never come across a colleague of mine being fired for losing an account. The Manager in question is also not directly involved in my chain of coammand (atho he is very senior).

I was shocked with his comment and queried it and again he stated my job was on the line. I have since made a complaint to HR stating that I do not appreciate such threats being made to me espcially considering the pressure i am currently under and also the fact that hes not my boss anyway (altho like i said hes very senior). My immediate boss said i wasright to stand up for myself....

My questions i guess are: was i right to make the complaint? anyone had anything similar to happen? should i check out the job pages as my days are numbered?

It's all to do with number crunching and by the sounds of it that prick will go right over your head.

Thats what im afraid of. My numbers overall are ok and the account in question I had very little time to build up the relationship and took it over 1 month before the tender was issued. However the prick in question is not having any of my facts (he calls them excuses).

Thats what im afraid of. My numbers overall are ok and the account in question I had very little time to build up the relationship and took it over 1 month before the tender was issued. However the prick in question is not having any of my facts (he calls them excuses).

Wow i put a few managerial sentences together and it made sense! Maybe they can get me through my next 4 years of University.

Guess it depends how much sway this prick has over your direct line of command an whether there is any previous,

I on't know what type of contract you work to but I am guessing losing an account and being sacked would no way fall in line with general HR processes.

The way it works in my sales base world is there has to be a continued show of support, e.g. training, performance plans etc. (also known as covering the back for tribunals) an if no improvement is made then a case could be presented for dismissal on the grounds of capability.

Sometimes you get the of prick letting off steam, sometimes your face doesn't fit. If they don't follow the correct channels take them to the cleaners.

P.S. Get on to your union for some free advice

Guess it depends how much sway this prick has over your direct line of command an whether there is any previous,

I on't know what type of contract you work to but I am guessing losing an account and being sacked would no way fall in line with general HR processes.

The way it works in my sales base world is there has to be a continued show of support, e.g. training, performance plans etc. (also known as covering the back for tribunals) an if no improvement is made then a case could be presented for dismissal on the grounds of capability.

Sometimes you get the of prick letting off steam, sometimes your face doesn't fit. If they don't follow the correct channels take them to the cleaners.

P.S. Get on to your union for some free advice

Thanks mate. Im well connected with the union so covered there. also given my 10 years service i would be well covered cash wise if i did get the boot (they would have to give me the redundancy package on offer which is 8 week for each year worked). however i want to keep on working and want this prick to just leave me alone and let me get on with my job.

I guess my big concern is that as he is very senior and that i have made a complaint against him, then he will do whatvere it takes to drive me out.

I work for a well known multi national company in sales. While in these tough times profits are down and market share is decreasing however we are still making a healthy profit. Ive been here 10 years and worked my way up the ladder from the call centre to my current position as a National Account Manager.

Anyway last week one of the senior managers threatened me with the sack should i lose an account. The account in question is currently out to tender and im hopeful of retaining the business. While the account in question is important to the company, we have lost/won tenders much larger in the past. In all my time with the company i have never come across a colleague of mine being fired for losing an account. The Manager in question is also not directly involved in my chain of coammand (atho he is very senior).

I was shocked with his comment and queried it and again he stated my job was on the line. I have since made a complaint to HR stating that I do not appreciate such threats being made to me espcially considering the pressure i am currently under and also the fact that hes not my boss anyway (altho like i said hes very senior). My immediate boss said i wasright to stand up for myself....

My questions i guess are: was i right to make the complaint? anyone had anything similar to happen? should i check out the job pages as my days are numbered?

Sounds like you handled it well. It would have been more dangerous not to make the complaint, and you've been backed up on it by your line manager.

A cliche maybe, but it's standing up for yourself that invariably deters bullies from pushing their weight around further.

Keep a full record of everything that happened/happens between you and him regardless, dates, what he said, who was there, where it occured etc etc

As someone earlier said, you should talk to your union too if you're a member.

I'd use the Union as a very last resort. If you go to them now then you might risk losing any support in your direct line of management as no one likes dealing with the union. If they know you are Union covered then the mere fact you are in one will be enough for them to know what they may have to deal with. However, make notes of everything said with dates and times.

The guy has acted the dick, and chances are the other bosses know this and will just ignore it as he's probably done this type of shite plenty of times before. Get the contract and get on with your job. You wont be sacked now as it would be obvious this guy has pushed it just because you made a compalint and so the company would be leaving themselves wide open and so wont progress anything I would imagine.

Thanks mate. Im well connected with the union so covered there. also given my 10 years service i would be well covered cash wise if i did get the boot (they would have to give me the redundancy package on offer which is 8 week for each year worked). however i want to keep on working and want this prick to just leave me alone and let me get on with my job.

I guess my big concern is that as he is very senior and that i have made a complaint against him, then he will do whatvere it takes to drive me out.

Fuck me that's a decent redundancy! Pity their are few alternatives available for you job wise like you said earlier.

Hope it works out for you, I hate it when the man tries to stick it to the people

You've defo done the right thing by going to HR and highlighting the issue early on just in case this issue escalates.

As for the redundency package, you might want to check your contract as legally companies in the UK only have to give you a week for every year that you have worked while most multi national companies will give you 4 weeks.. Do you have the 8 weeks for every year package offer in writing?

You've defo done the right thing by going to HR and highlighting the issue early on just in case this issue escalates.

As for the redundency package, you might want to check your contract as legally companies in the UK only have to give you a week for every year that you have worked while most multi national companies will give you 4 weeks.. Do you have the 8 weeks for every year package offer in writing?

The contract Im on is water tight. Basically the only way they can get rid of me is by getting me to accept a pay off/voluntary redundancy. They cant even give me compulsory redundancy as my contract prevents them from doing that.

The 8 weeks for every years serviced is open to everyone in my company at this moment in time so its on the table for me should I want it. However like I said I want to keep working.