You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

Agger probably just feels he deserves a spot in the starting 11? I'm sure Skrtel and Carragher think they should play aswell. Nothing wrong with that, but it does give the manager a dilemma.

The danish media is very interested in this because a lot of the danish international players are lacking first team action for their clubs around Europe. Been that way for a long time so its a problem (for the national team and their followers). On international weeks the danish press have a change to talk to Agger who is normally pretty media shy. He's a key player for the national team so they expect him to be the same for Liverpool, so maybe the danish press have a little agenda too?

I don't think he'll buy out his contract, but clearly he wants to play more and if that isn't possible for Liverpool who can blame him for wanting to leave.

I hope he stays and he should be more involved as it is, but I think he'll end up leaving in the summer. One reason is he's not playing enough another reason being that the club doesn't really seems interested in keeping him.

Reminds me a bit of Parry going on holiday after promising Gerrard a new deal right after Istanbul.

It isn't likely that Arbeloa or Kuyt would be out of the team any time soon, but if they are they could find themselves in a simelar situation as Agger. Come summer they too have only 1 year left of their contract. This way we might end up selling players on the cheap.

We have limited ressources and aren't looking out for them that well, but no news in that. I think it will cost us yet again and it could so easily be avoided.

Are you Danish?

It's nothing like after Istanbul. That was Steven Gerrard, this is a fairly unproven centre back that is holding us to ransom, which Benitez is well aware, hence Agger spending time on the bench.

Rafa has a big input into these deals, so to just blame it on Parry and the club is naive.

Are you Danish?

It's nothing like after Istanbul. That was Steven Gerrard, this is a fairly unproven centre back that is holding us to ransom, which Benitez is well aware, hence Agger spending time on the bench.

Rafa has a big input into these deals, so to just blame it on Parry and the club is naive.

Yeah, I'm Danish, but that's besides the point. I'm a Liverpool supporter and because of that I'm interested in Agger's situation. The Danish national side is of very little interest to me.

Of course the Gerrard situation was different because we need Gerrard a lot more than Agger. My point was only that we seem to let contracts run to low and with the palyers in the dark that it will eventually hurt us.

I don't know if Agger is holding Liverpool for ransom, but I think the suggestion is a bit unfair as he is yet to decline a new offer. Rumours might say he wants dobbelt his current salary, but so far its more or less speculation.

I have no doubt his agent, Per Steffensen, is eager to move Agger on and that is not helping our situation, but Liverpool, Parry or Rafa needs to act on this. Rafa's said he wanted the Agger situation resolved meaning doing a new deal. That leads me to think that its on Parry's to-do-list?

Its clear that the current situation isn't helping the club or Rafa getting a good price for Agger if they decide to sell him in the summer. Even the suggestion of Agger buying himself out of his contract is a bad sign.

My point is that the club isn't doing a good enough job on this and it's far from the first time we've let contracts run too low costing us money.

I'm not biased just because Agger is a Dane too.

I'm thinking of what's in Liverpools best interest and that should be to tie up Agger on a new deal sooner rather than later. If I was concerned about Agger or the Danish national side I might be inclined to supporting Agger leaving the club in order to play more?

Agger is clearly unsure about his own situation and Liverpool isn't doing anything to suggest he's part of our longterm plans. I think the agent and the press are more successful in their attempts to unsettle the player while we're doing nothing.

I've absolute no problem in accepting a decision of selling Agger in the summer if that's the case, but I just don't think that decision is made. Instead I fear we might risk loosing yet another player on the cheap and at the moment I can only blame ourselves.

Edited by Seemann

Anybody seen the new footy team rich list?

Has us at (7th up from 8th) at 167M. But thats about half of what we supposedly owe Wachovia and RBS. How much of a kick in the teeth is that to H&G, does it tally with the books they've shown to potential investors. If thats the case then they've fucked themselves again and even if they've been truthful it still won't help their cause with investors or the banks.

Real Madrid maintain stranglehold of football's rich list ahead of United | Mail Online

FOOTBALL'S RICH LIST: Manchester United pipped to top spot by Real as Spurs close in on England's 'big four'

By Simon Cass

Last updated at 9:22 AM on 12th February 2009

Comments (2) Add to My Stories Manchester United missed out on top spot in the latest survey of football’s biggest earners due to the crash in the value of sterling against the euro.

Despite last season being hugely successful for United both on and off the field, Real Madrid remain top of the Deloitte Football Money League for the fourth successive season. All in all, seven Barclays Premier League sides are among the top 20, despite the handicap of a poor exchange rate.

Top of the pile: Real Madrid - and their talismanic striker Raul - head the rich-list for the fourth successive year

Deloitte, whose survey refers to the 2007-08 campaign, base their survey figures on the June 2008 exchange rate. Had the rate remained the same as in June 2007, United would have beaten their Spanish rivals to first place. In today’s currency market, however, United would have slipped to third behind Barcelona.

That said, there is still plenty for the Old Trafford money men to be pleased about after last season’s domestic and Champions League double success helped increase their revenues to £257million, an increase of £45m on the previous season.

Money-spinner: United players clutch old big ears in Moscow, boosting the Old Trafford coffers

It saw United receive a bumper pay-out in terms of broadcasting revenue while their income from commercial contracts also saw a healthy increase. In addition, sell-out crowds at their 76,200 seater stadium saw matchday revenues grow by a staggering 10 per cent to £101.5m last season, meaning that 39 per cent of their total revenue comes from home games.

Such figures will no doubt bring concerns over ticket pricing during harsh economic times, while there are signs that corporate box sales could feel the strain as businesses tighten their belts.

No pressure: Hiddink must restore Chelsea to winning ways

However, United seem to offer better value for money than Chelsea who, despite an average attendance of 41,400 last season, managed to rake in £74.5m from matchday revenue.

Chelsea’s overall revenue grew by 12 per cent, largely thanks to a 30 per cent increase in money from broadcasters. But temporary manager Guus Hiddink will have to get the club back to winning ways if they are to stay in contention with Europe’s big guns in the revenue stakes.

While Arsenal, like Chelsea, may be sweating in Champions League qualification this season, the move to the Emirates Stadium continues to be a success story.

While there are suggestions that the cost of building the 60,000-seat arena has tied manager Arsene Wenger’s hands in the transfer market, matchday revenue of £94.6m last season, which represents 45 per cent of Arsenal’s total revenue, is difficult to argue against.

Unmitigated success: Arsenal's switch from Highbury to their new 60,000-seater stadium has seen profits rocket

Deloitte claim Arsenal lag behind in the sphere of commercial revenue, despite cash received from the naming rights to their stadium. Money from other commercial areas, such as sponsorships and merchandising, accounts for just 21 per cent of Arsenal’s total revenue.

New chief executive Ivan Gazidis has his work cut out if Arsenal are to make up a gap of almost £17m to Chelsea and almost £20m to United in terms of commercial revenue.

Liverpool’s need to press ahead with the construction of a new stadium is highlighted by their relatively low matchday revenue figure of £39.2m despite an average crowd at Anfield of 43,500 — 2,100 above Chelsea, who pulled in £35.3m more from home games last season.

Going up: Liverpool owners George Gillett (left) and Tom Hicks have seen the Anfield outfit rise a place to seventh, but the club must move away from Anfield to compete financially with bitter rivals Manchester United

Even Tottenham’s smaller White Hart Lane home generates more matchday revenue than Anfield, while they, too, have a plans for a new stadium in place. Spurs continue to do well from broadcasting and commercial revenue streams, but the Deloitte survey points out that they must return to the days of challenging for a Champions League place to stand a chance of regaining a top 10 spot.

In decline: Toon owner Mike Ashley sees his club slump three places

Tottenham can certainly compete with Newcastle in the hiring and firing of managers stakes. But despite continued turbulent times on Tyneside, Newcastle have managed to stay among the planet’s biggest clubs.

Poor performances on the field have been reflected in Newcastle’s drop to 17th, a fall of three places to their lowest position for three seasons. The Geordies’ passion for their club means Newcastle are one of just three sides in the top 20 who did not compete in Europe last season.

Average attendances of 50,000 at St James’ Park in the last campaign have helped keep Newcastle among the big boys, but patience is being severely tested by the threat of relegation this season with that average dipping to 48,000.

Manchester City return to the top 20 thanks mainly to the revenue generated by the new broadcast deal and a reviewed ticket price structure, which saw the average gate at Eastlands rise by five per cent, keeping matchday revenue constant at £18.5m.

However, with billionaire Sheik Mansour having bought the club since the survey took place, Deloitte point out that the wealthy City owner will need to keep handing Mark Hughes the cash to make sure he has a side capable of challenging for honours if they are to challenge the top earners as well.

Deloitte Football Money League - 2007/08 revenue (previous year in brackets)

1 (1) Real Madrid £289.6million2 (2) Manchester United £257.1m3 (3) FC Barcelona £244.4m4 (7) Bayern Munich £233.8m5 (4) Chelsea £212.9m6 (5) Arsenal £209.3m7 (8) Liverpool £167.0m8 (6) AC Milan £165.8m9 (11) AS Roma £138.9m10 (9) Internazionale £136.9m11 (12) Juventus £132.6m12 (13) Lyon £123.3m13 (16) Schalke 04 £117.5m14 (10) Tottenham £114.8m15 (15) Hamburg £101.3m16 (19) Marseille £100.4m17 (14) Newcastle £99.4m18 (-) Stuttgart £88.3m19 (-) Fenerbahce £88.1m20 (-) Manchester City £82.3m

I don't think the Agger one can be blamed just on the club. Benitez hasn't exactly been desperate to play him recently, so who knows what the greedy twat is demanding. Plus his agent is a wanker.

You seem to be indicating Rafa should include him in the team, not based on the merit of perfromance but becuase his contract is running down. Sadly it's the result that gets you 3 points and not which team has the most bosman's in it. We know his agent is a wanker but he is looking after his client, the club have offered nothing to one of the best cb's in europe with almost a year left on his contract so the agent is doing his job. If Aggers contract run out and nothing was sorted the agent would get the sack from Agger, and you don't want to get the sack from agger, nobody wants to wake up with a Premiership centre back teabagging you.

I suggest you look no further than the club or rather, the US of states as you won't find them at the club.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Is the Shiekh still doing due dilligence?

No, but Hicks has one of his minions running round various Arab states trying to raise money

What does he do these days anyway?

The odd trip to UEFA?

Sounds like Ayres and Nash have relieved him of most of his duties anyway and he's only still there as Gillett's security blanket.

Fuck him off. If there's no buyers out we can't stay in this limbo forever.

If he brought in new investment, I don't see why not. Or would you rather just carry on with all these fractions within the club, with no one backing down, and ultimately no leadership at the top?

I was just asking. Personally I'd like them all gone for good. If the current stalemate made that more likely then Id go along with that. I can't see Hicks being anything but bad news. I don't know enough about the politics of the club other than what I read on here, so was just asking for opinions

I wasn't having a go. In an ideal world they'd sell up to the bestest and most richest owners ever, and we'd get rid of the lot and start afresh, but in the absence of any genuine buyers, I'd rather Hicks/Benitez than Hicks/Benitez/Parry/Gillett/whoever and the constant in-fighting.

I've thought in the past that Parry needs to stay because of his sway in the boardroom, but the bottom line is he's an incompetent twat and needs to go.

We could and should be top 3.

Agreed. It really is a joke that teams like Chelsea and Arsenal can be above us in terms of revenue given our fanbase compared to theirs.

We should be comfortably above Bayern too. I know they've got half of Germany supporting them but we've got half of Asia waiting for us if we get our fucking act together.

I wasn't having a go. In an ideal world they'd sell up to the bestest and most richest owners ever, and we'd get rid of the lot and start afresh, but in the absence of any genuine buyers, I'd rather Hicks/Benitez than Hicks/Benitez/Parry/Gillett/whoever and the constant in-fighting.

I've thought in the past that Parry needs to stay because of his sway in the boardroom, but the bottom line is he's an incompetent twat and needs to go.

No I didn't think you were. Parry is the definition of incompetence, like you I was prepared to put up with that for his ability to stop Hicks. If Gillett is determined to go and leave us in Hicks' 'care' then Parry won't be mourned. I just can't understand why anyone would want Hicks as a partner. And does Roffa really believe Hicks would be loyal to him after Hicks got charge?

Or another words if Liverpool want to get rid of Parry they will have to sack him and he gets his payout rather then him resigning.

Aye. The FA chief exec post will be available again and Parry will know he will get the job if he wants it.

I think, as you said, he will want to get a big pay off and then become the FA Chief Exec.

No I didn't think you were. Parry is the definition of incompetence, like you I was prepared to put up with that for his ability to stop Hicks. If Gillett is determined to go and leave us in Hicks' 'care' then Parry won't be mourned. I just can't understand why anyone would want Hicks as a partner. And does Roffa really believe Hicks would be loyal to him after Hicks got charge?

Rafa knows there is no such thing called loyalty in football. However, he should also know that as long as the team qualifies for CL football every season, Hicks won't sack him.

We are Hicks and Gilletts best investment so there is no way they are going to give us up in a hurry.

Personally i would get used to seeing at least Hicks at the club for a while yet unless someone offers him silly money to walk away.

That's bad news. I respect your input so I'll try to get used to the idea

Aye. The FA chief exec post will be available again and Parry will know he will get the job if he wants it.

I think, as you said, he will want to get a big pay off and then become the FA Chief Exec.

Parry knows he is a dead man walking regards his term as CEO at the club and i would not be surprised to see him gone soon.

He knows that he could get the job as FA CEO but also knows by walking out of Liverpool he is also waves goodbye to his payoff for termination of his contract.

Very soon there will be changes at the club especially with Rafa close to signing his contract and possibly a bit of a shake up in the coaching department (Rafa wants McParland back at the club).

If Kuwait take any sort of investment it means that Gillett has at least diluted his share and Hicks will then sack Parry ergo some nice new clown shoes and dicky-bo tie thanks to his little pay off.