You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hip-Hop...

Chris

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can people on here stop twisting my words. I haven't said white people shouldn't like rap, i've said that white people far removed from what the songs are about, who specifically start quoting chapter and verse in their daily lives, which bear fuck all resemblence to their own reality look like fucking idiots. It's a valid statement because for me, at least, it's true. Forgive me for claiming it's a little odd to see a 14 year old white lad from Notting Hill singing about growing up in the hood, his run ins with the 5 0 and his many guns.

Anyone claiming I'm being racist for finding a group of peoples affection for a genre of music not specifically directed towards them a little bizarre and funny is a fucking idiot.

I work in one of the most ludicrously politically correct environments possible but these claims would make even the most anal prick in my job look sane. Reactionary gobshiteary of the highest order on here.

This is about music, for fucks sake. How about some of you chill out a bit, and simply disagree with an opinion given by someone who is about as anti racist as you can possible get.

Honkey bastards.

Can people on here stop twisting my words. I haven't said white people shouldn't like rap, i've said that white people far removed from what the songs are about, who specifically start quoting chapter and verse in their daily lives, which bear fuck all resemblence to their own reality look like fucking idiots. It's a valid statement because for me, at least, it's true. Forgive me for claiming it's a little odd to see a 14 year old white lad from Notting Hill singing about growing up in the hood, his run ins with the 5 0 and his many guns.

i don t think you were that specific mate tbh.

but while were at it,not every single black person was born and raised in a ghetto,and have had to struggle their whole life.

what about those black people who are extremely well off,or even moderately well off,or just living in better circumstances than what someone who has had to struggle all their lives.

what about an english black guy from notting hill who goes around quoting chapter and verse of songs.

is that ok?

i don t think you were that specific mate tbh.

but while were at it,not every single black person was born and raised in a ghetto,and have had to struggle their whole life.

what about those black people who are extremely well off,or even moderately well off,or just living in better circumstances than what someone who has had to struggle all their lives.

what about an english black guy from notting hill who goes around quoting chapter and verse of songs.

is that ok?

The latter part was something I was going to mention in my last post. I'm sure there are a couple of rappers from privaleged backgrounds who talk of 'the steets'. Think Puff Daddy may be one, but he's just shite anyway. Also think Akala over here, who us actually a pretty good lyricist, is another. That also is a bit pathetic. And my best mate, who is funny enough black, comes from a very good background with both parents being doctors. Can he identify with it, not really, and I've often commented why he doesn't listen to rap music about having his mum pay for his seat leon.

The latter part was something I was going to mention in my last post. I'm sure there are a couple of rappers from privaleged backgrounds who talk of 'the steets'. Think Puff Daddy may be one, but he's just shite anyway. Also think Akala over here, who us actually a pretty good lyricist, is another. That also is a bit pathetic. And my best mate, who is funny enough black, comes from a very good background with both parents being doctors. Can he identify with it, not really, and I've often commented why he doesn't listen to rap music about having his mum pay for his seat leon.

P Diddy came from a comfortable enough background but got involved in all sorts once he finished his education. He was allegedly the man who put the hit out on 2Pac.

My point is you don't have to be from the streets for the music to speak to you.

Kanyes ghost writer?

i like Rhymefest,im surprised he hasnt blown up by now,he made a michael jackson inspired mixtape earlier in the year that was excellent.

I bought that. It's alright, isn't it? Man in the Mirror or something. I can't be arsed walking to the shelf to remind myself of the title, though.

P Diddy came from a comfortable enough background but got involved in all sorts once he finished his education. He was allegedly the man who put the hit out on 2Pac.

My point is you don't have to be from the streets for the music to speak to you.

it was Sugg Knight (sp)...watch the Biggie and 2pac documentary, its all pretty conclusive

Edited by Top of the Kop

Anyone claiming I'm being racist for finding a group of peoples affection for a genre of music not specifically directed towards them a little bizarre and funny is a fucking idiot.

I work in one of the most ludicrously politically correct environments possible but these claims would make even the most anal prick in my job look sane. Reactionary gobshiteary of the highest order on here.

This is about music, for fucks sake. How about some of you chill out a bit, and simply disagree with an opinion given by someone who is about as anti racist as you can possible get.

Honkey bastards.

So if i listen to Bob Marleys "i shot the sheriff" i'm not allowed to sing along? or what about some of the red hot chilli peppers verses which can be very risque? it doesnt matter if its rock, rap or reggae, a lot of songs have little resemblance to everyday life but they are still awesome songs with intelligent lyrics. They can also be educational.

• 3 years later...