You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should all send out CVs into Anfield with a cover sheeting saying we would like a position as a Coach.

We should all justify that in the Cover sheets by saying We have as much experience as Rick Parry's son.

We havent though, as Parry's son has all his coaching badges. He did them at Wrexham. I'm not saying he is or isn't a good coach, I have no idea. I am saying he wasn't just plucked off the streets and given a job he wasn't qualified for.

Kacaniklic looks quite talented, he should be pushed a bit considering attacking left wingers hardly grow on trees

He's far better than Bruna, and possibly better than Weijl, although I haven't seen enough of Weijl yet to make a judgement. I've been impressed with the little I have seen of him though, he's quick and crosses a good ball.

Bruna has no pace and no strength. He takes a good set piece and has got quick feet, but he's nowhere near ready for reserve team football yet, but he's an Eduardo signing so he gets fast-tracked into the reserve squad.

Parry has a son who is a coach?

It gets fucking worse it really does.

I think Dave said in the article that he brought his mates from Wrexham to be coaches too.

The academy also employed a doctor who didn't have the qualifications to take a medical and employed some woman who hadn't got the qualifications for her job.

I read the article last night and fell into depression. It struck a chord from top to bottom. It's not just the reserves pushing for 1st team places it's the Academy at all levels. The fact that Liverpool families are choosing the blueshite for their kids is shocking, and as Dave wrote the reverse of the Gerrard, Fowler & Carragher days. How can this be good for the future? And as for the reserves anyone who's watched this year can see that there's a problem. Plessis and Spearing are half the players of last year. Pissed off, see no real prospects for themselves? Bruna, Weijl and Brouwer! Why would they get games ahead of the likes of Ecclestone.

It's all very sad, these idiots (and I mean all of them) are putting themselves and their power games above the club. Adjarevic is the perfect example.

As I said I went to bed really depressed about our medium term future. A thought provoking article, and something that should be put in front of Parry, Rafa etc. and a response demanded.

Has the premier league changed/improved to such an extent that instead of nurturing and encouraging youngsters who have ability at the ages of 15/16 to become better players, clubs just buy the player when someone else has done all the "groundwork"A good example being Walcott.

Are managers under such pressure that the demand for instant success makes blooding a player at the age of16/17 too much of a gamble both for the player and the team. As some recent results have shown, there arent any easy games in the premiership any more. Its also worth remembering when Rafa played almost a reserve side full of promising youngsters in the FA Cup away to Burnley a couple of seasons ago he got his fingers burnt and a barrage of criticism.

I think its imperative for any side to have an Academy, and the emphasis should always be on finding local talent, but football as it stands has limited the need for Premiership clubs in particular to have to produce great young players as they just buy them.

I think there are changes planned by Uefa meant to be coming in fairly soon that will introduce a minimum requiremnt of english players in Premier league sides that should go a long way towards forcing clubs to put the focus back on producing quality youngsters.

When we lost to Burnley it was the senior players who let us down. Traore (own goal) Biscan (came off that muddy pitch without a mark on his shot or shorts) and Nunez (sent off for elbowing) were a disgrace, and didn't help the kids at all. Don't forget those kids beat Spurs.

Rafa defo took the criticism to heart though, even though that criticism was bang out of order.

I'd rather of seen Derby as our back up right back and support the lad than paying Degen for fuck all.

Degen will leave in the summer so whats the point?

Degen has been nothing short of a waste of time and money, who the hell will buy him?

I don't know how people can so easily write off a lad with 30 caps and CL experience based on one game, it's ridiculous.

I didn't put all the blame on Rafa, I said it was down to him and Parry. Parry has a lot to answer for, but he isn't the one filling the reserve squad with dross signed by Macia. I understand why Rafa is pissed off, but I can't condone what he has done in response to it.

Are you seriously, honestly telling me that Eccleston, Kacaniklic, Amoo, Pepper, Dalla Valle etc are not worth a place in that reserve squad, and that Flora, Mendy, Ayala, Simon etc are?

Also, the article was not a rant about Rafa not putting kids in the first team, but people keep trying to turn the argument into "Spearing and Darby not getting a chance". That wasn't what the piece was about, it was to do with the politics at the club, and about Rafa signing up so many kids and putting them into his 'Melwood Academy', meaning there's no room for any of the Academy players to get any chances to play in the reserves.

Every single player Macia has signed goes straight into the reserve squad at Melwood. Not one has had to go to the Academy first, regardless of age or ability. How do you think the players at the Academy feel about that, when they know they are better than some of these players, but because they were signed by Elias and not Macia, they don't et a chance.

There's other stuff that I would have liked to have put in that article but couldn't because it would have betrayed confidences. Some of it is pretty disturbing too. Maybe one day I'll be able to write it, but not now unfortunately.

I'm surprised at you Maldini, as you know more about young players than most and you must therefore know that a lot of the players in the reserve squad aren't as good as those at the Academy.

I agree that there are some players at the academy who should be playing reserve team football, but I don't agree that most of the players Macia has signed have been shit. It's still really early to judge the likes of Ayala and Simon. It's not their fault they aren't getting enough games.

The biggest problem with the reserve team I think is mentioned in your article, I just don't know why we don't run two teams. The problem isn't that we've too many players, just that we've too few teams. Granted there have been a couple of bizarre signings from Macia (Brouwer, Mendy, Flora and Crowther spring to mind) but most of them have been good enough for a place in our squad.

Unfortunately the best players in the u18s happen to play in areas where we're pretty atacked at the moment at reserve level. Eccleston and Pourie have about 6 in front of them and even discounting Flora, Saric, Brouwer and Simon they'd have to be better than Pacheco and Nemeth to get into the team.

Amoo has El Zhar and Flynn ahead of him, Adjarevic and Pepper have Plessis, Spearing, Flynn and Duran ahead of them. Kacanacklic has Bruna, Weijl and Putterill ahead of him.

If you look at our reserve squad it has Flynn, Spearing, Darby, Mackay-Steven, Putterill, Kelly and Irwin who've graduated from the Academy. Kelly and Irwin were even promoted to Melwood early.

We just need to get a team entered in another league, because I thin even if we cut loose many of the players who have no chance of making it here we'll be left with too many players.

Having said all that, you know way more about the situation than me, so I'll trust you that all's not right. All I'll say is that we know Rafa is a supreme pragmatist, so I just can't believe that he's sacrificing players who may be good enough to improve his team for the sake of a petty feud with Parry.

He's far better than Bruna, and possibly better than Weijl, although I haven't seen enough of Weijl yet to make a judgement. I've been impressed with the little I have seen of him though, he's quick and crosses a good ball.

Bruna has no pace and no strength. He takes a good set piece and has got quick feet, but he's nowhere near ready for reserve team football yet, but he's an Eduardo signing so he gets fast-tracked into the reserve squad.

I agree with you on that, Bruna is improving, but I think he was massively overhyped. That Messi tag is a bit of a millstone around his neck.

I agree with you on that, Bruna is improving, but I think he was massively overhyped. That Messi tag is a bit of a millstone around his neck.

Yep, left footed and Argentinian, but that really is where the comparison ends. It's not even like he's a shit version of Messi, he isn't even remotely the same kind of player. Lazy journalism at its worst, and people had comepltely the wrong impression of the lad because of it.

Not related at all

... im just browsing through some songs on my computer ahead of the secret santa thing...and then came a song called...

"We`ve got a big mess"

by a band called...

The academy is

Maybe we can write to George Septhon ( or whatever he is called ) to get it played before YNWA?

We havent though, as Parry's son has all his coaching badges. He did them at Wrexham. I'm not saying he is or isn't a good coach, I have no idea. I am saying he wasn't just plucked off the streets and given a job he wasn't qualified for.

Don't believe for a second that Parry's lad there on Merit,even if he has got Badges

That stupid Cunt (Parry) has caused a lot of shit at the Academy,privately he knows Hamberg is not up to the job but can't admit another Cock-up.

Edited by Durango

Yep, left footed and Argentinian, but that really is where the comparison ends. It's not even like he's a shit version of Messi, he isn't even remotely the same kind of player. Lazy journalism at its worst, and people had comepltely the wrong impression of the lad because of it.

I think that kind of labelling of a player is something a lot of us reds are guilty of.

Ryan Babel is a young player that we have all got high hopes for but it doesnt take long for everyone too lose patience and start writing him off whilst waiting for him to become the next Henry. This is a young player that is also carrying the weight of a big transfer fee.

If he was a product of the Academy I think the expectations and comparisons may have been even greater

Don't believe for a second that Parry's lad there on Merit,even if he has got Badges

That stupid Cunt (Parry) has caused a lot of shit at the Academy,privately he knows Hamberg is not up to the job but can't admit another Cock-up.

I'm not arguing about that, but Lance said we were all as qualified as Parry's lad to have a coaching job. I pointed out that we aren't, as he has done his coaching badges.

He obviously didn't get the job on 'merit', but that's not to say he's a bad coach as I have no idea whether he is or not so I'm not going to slate him when I've got nothing to base it on.

As for Hamberg, I said as much in the article that you haven't read but felt compelled to take me to task over :whistle:

I'm not arguing about that, but Lance said we were all as qualified as Parry's lad to have a coaching job. I pointed out that we aren't, as he has done his coaching badges.

He obviously didn't get the job on 'merit', but that's not to say he's a bad coach as I have no idea whether he is or not so I'm not going to slate him when I've got nothing to base it on.

As for Hamberg, I said as much in the article that you haven't read but felt compelled to take me to task over :whistle:

Seriously, Dave et al, what does your gut tell you about Piet Hamberg? I did the Google thing and have to admit that betting on him seems like a good bet. Do you see it differently (BTW Don't read TLW so am probably more ignorant than most :( )

I assumed he had his badges but I was saying that for effect, Dave.

I don't think for one moment that he is there on merit. He may well be, but I sure as hell don't think so.

Disgusting that he brought all of his mates as well, and you look at whats said about Hamberg, the Perry thing, and whatnot and I can't help but see Rafa has a point in excluding the academy.

He doesn't like what he sees and thinks it needs changing.

Edited by Unrighteous

I assumed he had his badges but I was saying that for effect, Dave.

I don't think for one moment that he is there on merit. He may well be, but I sure as hell don't think so.

Disgusting that he brought all of his mates as well, and you look at whats said about Hamberg, the Perry thing, and whatnot and I can't help but see Rafa has a point in excluding the academy.

He doesn't like what he sees and thinks it needs changing.

He doesn't have a point, he's acting just as badly as they are. I understand why he's pissed off, but he's fucking around with young lads' careers because he's playing politics with Parry.