You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea to make new bid for Gerrard

Rush 346

To think I was actually feeling a bit sorry for Grant until I read all this shit. He's in the semi-final of the European Cup and three points off the top of the league with three to play including the leaders - and yet he's getting booed by his own fans. Fuck him, though; boo away, Chelsea twats.

To think I was actually feeling a bit sorry for Grant until I read all this shit.

I didn't understand the other day when he was going nuts in that press conference why people were sticking up for him. I can understand to an extent why but when he was pressed about his message to the fans, he didn't have one and not all of them have booed him. The man's a whopper, he's been underserved of a lot of the criticism which is why people feel sorry for him but he hasn't exactly gone out of his way to endear himself to his fan base and the press.

Laughable, liverpool have big game against chelsea journo from the echo asks grant what does he think of Gerrard as a player, Grant sings his praises says top player and he would love to have him so it must mean Chelsea are gona bid for him again, well it does in the pissed up alcholic world of Joe Lovejoy, the same man who said Diego Maradona the greatest player ever to walk on a pitch well pisshead joe said he wouldn't make into his top ten.

you just reminded me of that interview carra did that time rash.

journo: "would you ever leave liverpool to go to a bigger club?"

JC: "WHO is bigger than liverpool"

Exactly. The interviewer felt like a cunt. Cara went on to say "what do you mean? More money?"

Rafa should make similar comments about Essien and make reference to the players admiration of the Anfield crowd.

There is a diffference we couldnt buy Essien but they could buy Gerrard.

Under the old regime Id just dismiss it but I reckon any bid over 70m and the yanks & maybe Rafa as well would take the money that would be two years interest payments

Dont blame Grant for saying that about gerrard. Hes right and at least he isnt trying to kid anyone with lampard being better than gerrard bollocks that some idiots were trying to claim a couple of years ago.

But being honest Chelsea's biggest lure was mouriniho who is a top man manager an charasmatic. I dont see which player would think "i wanna play for avram grant"

I think any possibility of gerrard going to chelsea has gone. Have to say though I think someone touched on it before but I really hate all that bollocks people say about him only not going coz hi family were threatened. What absolute bollocks that is.

Some bitter was trying to convince me it was true the other week. Absolute bull shit. In this day and age if gerrard would have wanted to go he would have gone. end of.

Chelsea eye Steven Gerrard bid as title race heads for dramatic finishJoe Lovejoy, football correspondent Sunday Times

Chelsea will make a third attempt to sign Steven Gerrard from Liverpool if, as expected, Frank Lampard leaves at the end of the season. Jose Mourinho, Chelsea’s former manager, was twice out of luck when he tried to buy the Liverpool captain. However, fortune may well smile on his successor, Avram Grant, whose title hopes were raised yesterday when leaders Manchester United could only draw 1-1 at Blackburn thanks to a late goal from Carlos Tevez. Chelsea are three points behind United, who visit Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Gerrard almost joined Chelsea in June 2004 for £20m, and again 12 months later, for £32m, after the Anfield captain reacted to the interest by submitting a transfer request. He changed his mind only after his family received death threats and a fan burned his replica shirt live on Sky TV.

Now Grant will try to make it third time lucky, if he survives in the job beyond the end of the season and, as seems likely, Lampard leaves to take on a fresh challenge.

Grant, whose Chelsea side meet Liverpool at Anfield in the Champions League semi-final first leg on Tuesday, said: “Gerrard is a great player and a great person. For me, he is the player of the year in England, and maybe in Europe, because of the influence he has on the team. I like him very much as a player and I know him. He is a nice guy and an example to others. He plays against me, but he’s still my favourite player.”

Grant added that he greatly admired the England midfielder’s versatility, pointing to his success in a new role, playing off Fernando Torres, Liverpool’s main striker. He said: “I’m not surprised; he has the quality to play in any position. In the one he is in now he probably feels more free.”

Reminded that Mourinho had tried to sign him twice, Grant said: “If you can bring him to me, I will be happy.” Gerrard and Lampard are widely considered too similar to play in the same England midfield, and Liverpool’s dynamic leader would be a like-for-like replacement for Lampard, who is known to hanker after a move to Spain, and will probably end up wherever Mourinho resumes his managerial career. Like their playing styles, their records are much the same. Gerrard has scored 21 goals in all competitions this season, Lampard is Chelsea’s leading scorer with 18, albeit in fewer games. For England, Gerrard has netted 12 times in 64 appearances, Lampard 14 in 60.

In terms of market value, Gerrard has the edge, if only because he is still only 27. Lampard will turn 30 in June. Rebuffed twice, Chelsea believe they could get their man this time because Gerrard is known to be unhappy about Liverpool’s continued failure in the Premier League, and is appalled by the boardroom feud at Anfield and what the chief executive, Rick Parry, has called the washing of dirty linen in public.

It has also been noted at Stamford Bridge that in his autobiography, Gerrard admits to “looking long, and jealously, at Chelsea”. Grant’s comments are sure to add extra spice to Tuesday’s clash at Anfield.

So much bollocks written in that article. The writer is trying to invent reasons, why Gerrard would go and why he didn't go before. £20m in 2004? They would have had to double that and in 2005, the £32m was only the starting bid, which was rejected.

Can't see the problem with Grant's comments. Not only will he want Gerrard more after the semi, he's pissed Fatty off, who will no doubt spend the two games sulking as the whole of British punditry finally realises what we all knew - Gerrard is on a different (higher) plane of existance to their favourite barrow-boy.

Why would these journalists give any credence to what Grant has said about Gerrard or any other player for that matter, when the same people are elsewhere reporting that regardless of what he does, he's not going to be there next season to buy anyone!

Both Grant and the papers, are guilty of shit-stirring and trying to unsettle us before a Champions League semi final, now there's a surprise! But considering what our Manager and players have had to put up with in their own boardroom this season, this will be swatted away like the irrelevant irritant it aims to be.

The only history chelsea have, is of trying to use 'tactics' like this before a big game.

Roll on Tuesday!

Utter utter utter shite.

Seriously, dont give the story any thought or attention. Funny how before EVERY big game our captain is linked with the opposition. Chelsea every fuckin year. Its crap fed to try and unsettle us. Cunts

Grant’s comments are sure to add extra spice to Tuesday’s clash at Anfield

And there we have the whole purpose of the article summed up in one sentence

Can you imagine how pissed off you would be if you were a Chelsea player reading that though? Surely you would expect your manager to be bigging-up your own players ahead of such a massive game?

If Rafa came out and commented about how good Essien is and how much he'd love him in the team, i'd be mightily pissed off about it, personally. You want your own players' confidence built up, not the opposition.