You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 07/08/2021 at 00:01, Red74 said:

Blade Runner 2049

possibly the worst movie I’ve ever seen and I sat through episodes 8 & 9.

Told the Mrs we’d settle down early and have a romantic night together & watch this. 

I honestly think I’d have been better doing a Travis Bickle and throwing backdoor bangers 6 on instead.

3 hours of pure tedium.

0/10

Ana de Amas 10/10

The original is my favourite of all time and i thought the sequel was OK when i went to see it in the cinema, but i have never managed to get through it in full again. It's very much a case of style over substance, it looks fantastic but christ it drags quite ridiculously. It's nowhere near the worst movie ever made ("Highlander 2 : The Quickening" for one, is a million times worse than BR 2049) but it is in keeping with brilliant SF films getting an ultimately pointless sequel/prequel (see also Star Wars & Alien).  

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Mortal Kombat - 7.5/10

Much better than I had anticipated. Great use of the characters from the game particularly Kano who is hilarious, the story is fun and doesn't out stay it's welcome and the action is great. 

Ha!

I forgot about this.

After people going on about how good it was on here I decided to watch it on a plane last week, this was about 15 hrs in to a 24hr odyssey.

Really enjoyed it and it was much better than I thought it would be and I cried at the end*

Completely agree on Kano.

It was Sonyas arc that set me off, she's so strong, so brave, so complete!

Also, 7.5/10

*I had been drinking for the aformentioned 18hrs by this point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Ha!

I forgot about this.

After people going on about how good it was on here I decided to watch it on a plane last week, this was about 15 hrs in to a 24hr odyssey.

Really enjoyed it and it was much better than I thought it would be and I cried at the end*

Completely agree on Kano.

It was Sonyas arc that set me off, she's so strong, so brave, so complete!

Also, 7.5/10

*I had been drinking for the aformentioned 18hrs by this point.

Hopefully they make a sequel as there's loads of characters they could use and a certain character is resurrected!

Land of Mine

True story about young German POWs tasked with clearing the Danish beaches of 1.5 million landmines laid by the Nazis during the war.

Enchanting juxtaposition between the unrelentingly grim and oppressive subject matter and the truly beautiful Danish coastlines.

Fantastic performances and direction. Thanks Vladi for the heads up.

8/10 Nodi Fen Real Debrid

The Pianist 

Not in the best head space right now so why I thought it was a good idea to watch this god knows. Truly harrowing movie, superb performance from Adrien Brody and a fully deserved academy award. It's right up there with Schindlers List in driving home just how bad the Jewish were treated. I don't feel comfortable rating it because as amazing as it is, it's hardly enjoyable to watch. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Pianist 

Not in the best head space right now so why I thought it was a good idea to watch this god knows. Truly harrowing movie, superb performance from Adrien Brody and a fully deserved academy award. It's right up there with Schindlers List in driving home just how bad the Jewish were treated. I don't feel comfortable rating it because as amazing as it is, it's hardly enjoyable to watch. 

Incredibly powerful film. Saw it a few years ago, and not sure I could watch it again. As you say, great performance from Brody, well deserving of his Oscar.

On 07/08/2021 at 09:51, Bruce Spanner said:

Probably close enough to release to say I saw a preview of 'People Just Do Nothing: Big In Japan' a few weeks back and it's nothing that'll take the world by storm, or have any surprises once you know the premise, but if you like the show you'll walk out smiling.

Some brilliant laugh out loud moments and the obvious pathos the show usually has is all there.

7 lyrical blows to the jaw out of 10

Ooh. They’re doing a film? I’ve been watching the series on Netflix for the last couple of days. It’s never really been on my radar before but it’s had me in stitches a few times. I’m halfway through series 3 at the minute. 

Watched ‘Luca’ last night. New kids film from Pixar. It’s not the greatest one they’ve ever made but it’s decent enough for a kids movie. Worth 90 mins of your time.  

We watched another kids one yesterday but I can’t remember what it was called or anything that happened in it, so all I can say is it can’t have been very good. Avoid it if you possibly can. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Ooh. They’re doing a film? I’ve been watching the series on Netflix for the last couple of days. It’s never really been on my radar before but it’s had me in stitches a few times. I’m halfway through series 3 at the minute. 

Watched ‘Luca’ last night. New kids film from Pixar. It’s not the greatest one they’ve ever made but it’s decent enough for a kids movie. Worth 90 mins of your time.  

We watched another kids one yesterday but I can’t remember what it was called or anything that happened in it, so all I can say is it can’t have been very good. Avoid it if you possibly can. 

Same here, I got in to it after they’d done a few series, but the series is wonderful, so well written. 

Series 4&5 are brilliant and go up a level, I think it’s when the BBC started to trust them more. 

The films really fun, not gonna be up for any Oscars, but if you like the series you’ll get it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The Pianist 

It’s a brilliant film.

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah had something in my eye a few times. The way two of the solders treated his dad in the street made me angry, I nearly turned it off. Absolute bastards. 

Horrific as it is, I’ve always been fascinated by this subject. The capacity to inflict that much suffering on another human being is beyond comprehension.

I’ve been to Auschwitz. An experience I never want to forget but will never repeat. 

• Upvote 2

The Suicide Squad 7/10

It was decent enough but it felt at times like a more violent version of Guardians of the Galaxy from the same director of course - very similar in style and of course music choice, plus a character who can hardly talk for comedic value (King Shark this films Groot) sometimes out of the battle scenes doing their own thing. 

Two main characters also at loggerheads and trading insults every few minutes… etc

Not bad, entertaining two hours but not as good as some of the hype I’ve seen.

A decent enough action film though but I don’t feel like I’ll watch it again. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Adrian Brody is like a one hit wonder almost everything else I've seen him in has been a shitshow of the highest order. Christ his Peaky Blinders performance there was better acting from the talking vegetables in the young ones.

He’s shagging Harvey Weinsteins ex wife.