You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Almost ashamed to say that the first time i saw The Night Of The Hunter was 2 days ago. Bought the DVD but have been meaning to watch it for 12 years. Lots of very very wooden acting but some brilliant scenes and compelling photography in parts. Worth sitting through the dodgy bits to glimpse the beautiful parts. Oh, and Mitchum, fucking, of course, rules. Will definitely be re-watching it. 8.5/10.

Welcome to the world of 'unsettling' films.

The one and only film Directed by the wonderful Charles Laughton (slaughtered at the time by the critics) that resulted in him throwing his (limp) wrist in. (allegedly)

I will confess it's not the last film I saw, but who's seen The Reckoning starring Nicol Williamson. It's a British film made in the late 60s/early 70s. I don't think it's available on Amazon. Quite brilliant if I remember. Watch it if you can.

Perhaps it's been mentioned already but the prospect of wading through almost 300 pages of the thread to find out is too daunting for me.

The Social Network - 9/10 - A seriously good fucking film and that's coming from someone who can't stand facebook, the way the whole film is filmed is just great and some of the scenes, particularly the opening scene, was pure class. It's pretty obvious that many scenes were embellished or "dramatised" to keep your attention but if it's anywhere near the truth then it deserves many awards.

Guest Scaramanga

Had a bit of a war film marathon over the weekend:

Full Metal Jacket 7/10:

For me, only the first half is any good. The rest is a bit shit compared to other films.

Platoon 9/10:

Top quality film. One of my favourites.

Hamburger Hill 9/10:

Great film.

We Were Soldiers 8/10:

Superb film (one of Gibsons best).

Where Eagles Dare 10/10:

Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood. Awesome.

Master & Commander 8/10:

Always thought Russell Crowe was a cunt which is why it took my so long to watch it. Fucking superb though.

Eagle v's shark. 8/10. Brilliant. Not much happens; it's a quirky love story between two misfits but it is very funny and quite touching in parts. Was unfairly compared with Napoleon Dynamite but I think this is an injustice as this is much better. Jermaine Clement you will recognise from Flight of the Conchords and the girl who plays the lead is strangely adorable. Soundtrack is ace; especially the last song.

Guest Scaramanga
Eagle v's shark. 8/10. Brilliant. Not much happens; it's a quirky love story between two misfits but it is very funny and quite touching in parts. Was unfairly compared with Napoleon Dynamite but I think this is an injustice as this is much better. Jermaine Clement you will recognise from Flight of the Conchords and the girl who plays the lead is strangely adorable. Soundtrack is ace; especially the last song.

Definitely going to watch that now. Me and the missus saw a trailer for it on a DVD and thought it looked class, but we weren't sure whether it was one of those films where the funny bits in the trailer were the only funny bits in the film.

The DVD the trailer was on was:

Garry the Tennis Coach 5/10:

2 quid in Tesco. Not the best film you'll ever see but worth a punt if there's nothing else on the telly. Candy floss for the brain.

The Hurricane 7/10

Entertaining enough, even though it's got it's faults (notably being a bit lightweight, unbalanced in parts, John Hannah doing a shit accent for two hours, some 2D supporting characters and having a pantomime villain; to name but a few). Denzel Washington's performance, however, bumps the film up a good 2-3 marks. The man's a fantastic actor and he really nails Ruben Carter. He really drags the film up by the short and curlies to make it a good watch.

Marie Antoinette - A solid huite/dix

Kirsten Dunst is excellent. Directed by Sofia Coppola, this is all about Antoinette's personal life from the time she was married off to Louis XVI to her arrest and mostly set (and shot) in Versailles. Very little historic or political background which seemed fine as the film was all about her and her personal life. Nothing I didn't already know about her - she didn't have an evil bone in her body and she was very sheltered and uneducated about what was happening to France at the time. It's no rip-roaring epic about the French Revolution, just the story of her life. A little heavy on the American accents at times but again this didn't seem too odd as some of the humour was quite contemporary and the score included Bow Wow Wow, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Adam and the Ants. Well worth a watch if you're not expecting anything more than what at times is quite a sad story of a misguided and essentially naive girl who became queen of France. Really enjoyable.

Fear Me Not. 7/10. Slow burning Danish thriller. Mikel is a family man in his 40's, bored and in the middle of a sabbatical from work when he is offered the chance to trial some new anti depressant drugs by his doctor friend. After a couple of weeks the trial is pulled but Mikel has become fond of the new found escape from his normal life these pills are giving him and continues taking them.....