You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Killer Inside Me - 6/10. It had an alright style, the acting was fine (Casey Affleck is excellent at being a creepy psycho) but it just didn't really do much. Having the main protagonist as such a repulsive character means it's a hard film to like I think, although I don't understand why some people were complaining about the misogyny in it - err, it's about a misogynist and misogynist desire. It's gonna have misogyny in it.

6 from me too. Maybe even a seven if not for the stupid fecking ending.

House of Sand and Fog (2003) - Always meant to check this out over the last few years. Glad I finally did. Good thriller/drama. I like that there was no clear good guy, bad guy.

Not a massive fan of Kinglsey normally, but he's good here. Did still have a wee giggle when he decides to turn it up to 11 towards the end.

Dead End (with thanks to themanwiththestick for remembering the name of it for me)

Slightly kitsch / humorous but very spooky almost Twighlight Zonesque story about a family lost on a road in their car at night. Some very jumpy moments and well put together. Have a watch. 7.6/10

Antichrist (Lars von Trier)

Ho-lee-shit.

Well the whole point of this film is that it defies description. It creates sensations that words cannot do justice to. Grotesque and horrible but basically a must see. At the end it had "A tribute to Andrei Tarkovsky." I'm not a fan of Tarkovsky and I see this as a Tarkovsky film done right.

Don't watch it alone on your laptop with big headphones in a dark room right before bed, like I just did.

The Killer Inside Me - 6/10. It had an alright style, the acting was fine (Casey Affleck is excellent at being a creepy psycho) but it just didn't really do much. Having the main protagonist as such a repulsive character means it's a hard film to like I think, although I don't understand why some people were complaining about the misogyny in it - err, it's about a misogynist and misogynist desire. It's gonna have misogyny in it.

Baraka - 9/10. Scene after scene of startling images from around the world, shot in 70mm film. Beautiful to look at and has a great score. Features the Balinese Monkey Chant:

[YOUTUBE]wmanzmlHA_c[/YOUTUBE]

I first saw Baraka in 1996 when my daughter was new born. i was up in the middle of the night and it was on the film channel i had so i thought i might as well watch it. for a bit. I watched it right to the end and was up long after she had gone back to sleep. Fantastic film.

I first saw Baraka in 1996 when my daughter was new born. i was up in the middle of the night and it was on the film channel i had so i thought i might as well watch it. for a bit. I watched it right to the end and was up long after she had gone back to sleep. Fantastic film.

The monkey chant is in The Fall aswell. It is directed by Tarsem - I loved it especially considering the girl was an unknown and couldn't speak English before filming and didn't actually know what was going on! There is no CGI and the locations and camera work is breathtaking. I thought it was amazing on blu ray and I want to see the bulgarian film it was based on!!

I bought the fall and baraka for a friend's birthday to show him what blu ray was about.

9/10

the good, the bad, the weird - 8/10

Crazy Korean caper about the hunt for missing treasure - if you don't want to think for a couple of hours and just have a bit of fun this is worth a watch. Has the chap who was in a bittersweet life (excellent film) playing a bit of a nasty gangster! Some really good stunt work too.

The monkey chant is in The Fall aswell. It is directed by Tarsem - I loved it especially considering the girl was an unknown and couldn't speak English before filming and didn't actually know what was going on! There is no CGI and the locations and camera work is breathtaking. I thought it was amazing on blu ray and I want to see the bulgarian film it was based on!!

I bought the fall and baraka for a friend's birthday to show him what blu ray was about.

9/10

Yeah, The Fall is a stunning looking film. The blurays for both of these are on my shopping list.

I didn't see that Tarkovsky nod but that makes a lot of sense. I was too busy staring into nowhere.

I too watched it with headphones. I'm so gutted I missed it at the cinema.

You forgot the 10/10 bit.

Damn it, I'm buying it.

I'm not sure if it would be bearable in a cinema. I might just run out crying.

Mesrine 8/10. It's based on fact but I'm not sure how much of it is actually accurate as some of it seems so far fetched. Although I can't find anything on the web to suggest it isn't accurate. It's in French with English subtitles so if you don't like films you have to read steer clear.

Mesrine 8/10. It's based on fact but I'm not sure how much of it is actually accurate as some of it seems so far fetched. Although I can't find anything on the web to suggest it isn't accurate. It's in French with English subtitles so if you don't like films you have to read steer clear.

Anyone who'd stay clear of a film of the quality of Mesrine on the basis it's subtitled deserves to be shot in the face.

Part 1, Killer Instinct, was largely autobiographical. Although there's no doubt Mesrine did get upto the antics portrayed in the film, it's widely acknowledged that he did embellish slightly now and then. Part 2, Public Enemy No.1 was more based in fact from police records and therefore has a more 'realistic' feel to it. Excellent, excellent film. Cassel is immense.

Lot of people miss out on some quality films on the basis of them being foreign and subtitled.

I think I came across Mesrine as an Amazon recommendation on the fact that I own City of Men and City of God both of which are excellent too. Picked Mesrine up in HMV for a fiver a few weeks ago and only got round to watching it last night. I think the only thing I marked Mesrine down for is that I found myself wanting to know a lot more detail about him at the end. It would probably make an excellent series if the same people involved made it and it was able to go into more detail. Cassell was immense, was very impressed with Guido too, took me awhile before I even realised it was Depardieu.

I couldn't sleep at 6 this morning so got up and watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for the first time, thus completing the Man With No Name trilogy. What a film, I was utterly mesmerised from start to finish and 3 hours flew past. It's beautifully filmed and the soundtrack is awesome but it's the pace of it that I enjoyed most; it seemingly ambles along, slowly bringing the three characters together but never feels slow.

10 ne-ne-ne-ne-ners out of 10 der-ner-ners.

Dont Say a Word

Michael Douglas plays top notch Psychiatrist whose daughter gets kidnapped and he has a few hours to get secret code out of some bird whose father was killed by the baddie (Sean Bean) who had been double crossed by the Birds father.

6.5/10

Anyone who'd stay clear of a film of the quality of Mesrine on the basis it's subtitled deserves to be shot in the face.

Part 1, Killer Instinct, was largely autobiographical. Although there's no doubt Mesrine did get upto the antics portrayed in the film, it's widely acknowledged that he did embellish slightly now and then. Part 2, Public Enemy No.1 was more based in fact from police records and therefore has a more 'realistic' feel to it. Excellent, excellent film. Cassel is immense.

Got let the right one in for £2 in blockbusters - bird asked me if i wanted it as it had subtitles!

Got let the right one in for £2 in blockbusters - bird asked me if i wanted it as it had subtitles!

I still haven't seen that. Not because it has subtitles, just because I'm a disgrace of a human being.

I couldn't sleep at 6 this morning so got up and watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for the first time, thus completing the Man With No Name trilogy. What a film, I was utterly mesmerised from start to finish and 3 hours flew past. It's beautifully filmed and the soundtrack is awesome but it's the pace of it that I enjoyed most; it seemingly ambles along, slowly bringing the three characters together but never feels slow.

10 ne-ne-ne-ne-ners out of 10 der-ner-ners.

Been swaggering around the flat all day giving suspicious looks at strangers out the windows whilst whistling the theme tune and wanting to wear a poncho and smoke cigars.

Might have to stick Hang 'em High on now.

Wah wah waaaaaah.

Been swaggering around the flat all day giving suspicious looks at strangers out the windows whilst whistling the theme tune and wanting to wear a poncho and smoke cigars.

Might have to stick Hang 'em High on now.

Wah wah waaaaaah.

Some rep for you Mr _b. I bought that box set a couple of years ago, it's a great weekend of entertainment.

Some pictures and quotes from Tuco here:

Tuco

"-There are two kind of people in this world, my friend. -Those with a rope around their neck and people who have the job of doing the cutting."

Some rep for you Mr _b. I bought that box set a couple of years ago, it's a great weekend of entertainment.

Some pictures and quotes from Tuco here:

Tuco

"-There are two kind of people in this world, my friend. -Those with a rope around their neck and people who have the job of doing the cutting."

...and don't forget Manco :

"There are two kinds of people in this world, my friend...those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig !"

My favourite ever film.

Love it, love it, love it.

time to leave.

heres one i really liked its french and not for homo-phobes.

its about this gay arrogant dude that changes his ways after being told hes got cancer and only a short time to live.the ending is very sad and has a good story.

well worth a look.

[YOUTUBE]fNBkW1g0WhA[/YOUTUBE]

Yep, one of Ozon's finest.