You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

In Bruges 7/10

Pleasantly surprised with this one, some of the stuff Colin Farrels character comes out with is really funny and initially it seemed ok. Turned a bit overly silly at the end with Fiennes (don't know which one of them it was) chasing him down. But overall as said pleasantly surprised by the bulk of it despite the ending.

The A-Team- enjoyable enough- 6/10

Predators- 'finally the sequel the original deserves'- bollocks it is, Predator 2 is miles better- 5/10.

Whilst Predators is nowhere near as good as either of the first two, to say that the A Team film is even marginally better has just made my mind boggle.

After.Life- Christina Ricci lies on a mortuary slab with her tits out for 90 minutes- 7/10.

Ha! Bit more to it than that but I see where you're coming from. Thought that was a good horror myself, gave it a 7-ish too I think.

Full Metal Jacket - Magnificent. 9/10

A two hour film that could be three hours for me. As it is, it's split down the middle between training and action. I'd have loved another hour of the second part, expanding on what went on in the field.

The really hard hitting aspect of the training is its relentlessness. There's no banter or time out. This isn't Heartbreak Ridge, there are no quips, nights off in the pub or let-ups in the harsh reality of the training regime. Speak when you're ordered to and not at any other time. A regime of drill, yelling and punishment. Really tough to watch at times but absolutely riveting. What a film.

The Social Network

9/10

Fantastic.

red - 7/10 - good if you dont want to think for a bit! You know exactly what is going to happen, nothing original but the cast is good but you can almost guess the next line in most of the scenes!

the social network 9/10

excellent movie and a truly fascinating story behind the facebook phenomenen

Really? The trailers for the movies made them look utter turd, not quite as heinous as Vampires suck but still horendi.

Platoon. 7.4/10

After having immersed myself in Full Metal Jacket, I gave Platoon a go. I've seen both of them before, although many years ago. Platoon is very, very good but it's basically lots of shouting, shooting and hiding in the jungle. There's not as much character build-up as there is in FMJ. I don't understand why some of the characters are who they are or what made them who they are. For me, FMJ covered that which is why it gets a much higher mark than Platoon. I think that the first hour of FMJ probably gives the background that Platoon doesn't offer.

Still, Tom Berenger and Willem Defoe especially are just brilliant. And a tiny bit part for a very young Johnny Depp which I never realised before. Great film. Not sure if I'm Nam'd out yet. Wondering if I should give Hamburger Hill a go, unless anyone has any other recommendations?

Platoon is overrated in my opinion, it's good but not a patch on Full Metal Jacket. I'd recommend Born On The Fourth Of July if you havent already seen it, one of my favourite 'Nam films.

Thanks old bean, will give it a go.

8mm - been out or ages but one of those films you just never feel in the mood to watch .

it was not that bad to be fair , in fact I enjoyed it

It is about a missing girl who was last seen in a snuff movie . Nic (I can call him Nic ) Cage investigates and gets drawn into the seedy world of some TLW members lives.

7 gimp masks out of 10

Singing in the Rain 9/10

Recently started working through a list of 'classic' films that we haven't seen. This came through from Lovefilm and I had my doubts about it, but the girl loves her musicals so I gave it a chance being a classic.

Loved it, great film with some very comical moments and great scenes and no, I'm not gay.

(don't be hatin', bitches)

Guest Scaramanga
Wondering if I should give Hamburger Hill a go, unless anyone has any other recommendations?

Hamburger Hill is quality dude, always worth a watch.

A few others to consider:

Apocalypse Now

We Were Soldiers

Casualties of War

All 3 are really great films dude.

Guest Scaramanga

War, Inc. 4/10:

Would have been 1/10 but Marisa Tomei is totty.

Mess of a film. Just fucking noise for an hour and a half.

If there's absolutely nothing on the telly or you've got no windows in your house then give it a shot. Otherwise, don't bother.

Wondering if I should give Hamburger Hill a go, unless anyone has any other recommendations?

I'd recommend Jacob's Ladder if you haven't seen it. Not a typical 'Nam film, but very good nevertheless. About a veteran's (Tim Robbins) attempt to reintegrate into society after returning from the war, but he starts seeing demons everywhere. Creepy and brilliant.