You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If we have the 5th highest wage bill and the 5th most expensive squad then do you think this is realistic?

Well, it's not all about money. It's about buying the right players, not the most expensive players. It's about melding them into a coherent unit that can deliver more than the sum of its parts. It's about organising them well, and sending them out motivated, determined, and confident.

Benitez is certainly not doing any of that at the moment.

Completely unacceptable post at a time like this.Our problem is a lack of quality squad players. This is because THE YANKS HAVEN'T SPENT THE CASH This is not Rafas fault:telloff::telloff:

This IS Rafas fault. He has had 5 years to build the squad that he wants. during that time there have been 67 players come into the club. surely out of them we should have a good squad. However benitez isn't good enough in the transfer market. There has only really been Mascherano, Torres, I'm going to say johnson because he is making an impact at the minute who are still at the club who have been good signings. in total benitez has spent £210,425,000 and what have we got to show for it apart from torres. Have a look for yourself

at liverweb.org.uk

Buying to sell does not work, squad players take a few years more to know their place, come good and have an effect - see the scum and their players.

We constantly upgrade and those players we upgrade too are not guaranteed to perform and we constantly have a new batch of back ups which simply cannot come in and change a game, nor can the kids, it takes time.

We have to play the long game.

If we are patient with the likes of Lucas, Spearing, Kelly, Insua they may be really valuable in a few years but hammering them now when they are pretty much thrown in doesn't help and we cant realistically expect to push on and win things when we are too reliant on certain players, i still think we can and should win but we have to be very lucky with injuries and form.

Gerrard and Torres may dip in form but be immense the season after, fans only think from game to game though especially with the 24 hour news culture. Alonso is a perfect example of why you should perservere with someone when they do not reach the standard required or the standard they have set for themselves previously.

If someone said to me Rafa will win the title in three years time but will not win anything before then, i would take it looking at the long view but the short term view would not allow him, the pressure from fans, the media etc would go into overdrive.

I think the media forced Jol out and they will try yet again to do the same to rafa

This IS Rafas fault. He has had 5 years to build the squad that he wants. during that time there have been 67 players come into the club. surely out of them we should have a good squad. However benitez isn't good enough in the transfer market. There has only really been Mascherano, Torres, I'm going to say johnson because he is making an impact at the minute who are still at the club who have been good signings. in total benitez has spent £210,425,000 and what have we got to show for it apart from torres. Have a look for yourself

at liverweb.org.uk

How many of those players were over 10 million or more? How many over 20? How many over 30? How many were sold for a profit? How many were youth? How many cost us money? How much did our current squad cost? What is it worth now? How much money has Rafa made through Europe etc?

Do you not agree that we have a buy to sell policy?

Reina, Agger, Insua, Skrtel, Johnson, Arbeloa, Crouch, Momo, Bellamy, masch, Torres, Kuyt, Aurelio, Alonso, Garcia for the price of rio, rooney, berbatov nani and anderson isnt that bad is it? Or drogba,Schevchenko, Essien, cole and Malouda.

He has spent that over 5 years dont forget , he hasnt just spent 200 mil!

And has only had access to 20 a season so you cant just buy top players, we have had to build a squad.

Maybe you would have preferred our 2005 squad with a player worth 20 mil added every year? We would probably be bankrupt by now!

Just looking at the scum team on tv

bebatov..........30 million

valencia...........18 million

anderson .........17million

nani.................17million

ferdinand...........28 million

to name but a few

rooney on the bench ......27million

People should be kissing rafas feet for even getting halfway close to overhauling

manu.

to name but a few

People should be kissing rafas feet for even getting halfway close to overhauling

manu.

This is what Bruce would have done - Bent or Torres? Cattermole or Masch? Agger or Turner? Who would you take from those? He spent £25m over the summer (Rafa was given zero net to spend).

Rafa has spent £40M + in the summer, he chose to spend them on a right back not really good at defending and a crocked midfielder yet to play a single minute while our season is in free fall.

Even he did not have anything to spend other than what he recouped from transfers, why does that mean the quality in our squad need to regress.

Its possible to spend money on good players instead of shite ones you know?

Ian, it's not misleading mate. If you have to sell to buy then you've been given nothing. To generate £40m you need to lose £40m worth of quality, which needs replacing to get back to where you started from.

Well how does that work then when Rafa valued Alonso at around £15M last summer, should he not have around £25M + this summer then?

We have spent loads of money on utter rubbish and on op of that we have given them such high wages it is impossible to get rid.

Who`s fault is that?

to name but a few

manu.

What does this even mean?

When are people going to realise that a players transfer fee and his wages have very little to do with his actual quality.

I dont know how much City used on Barry, but Rafa valued him around £10M or something along those lines, he`s pobably doubles his salary as well at City compared to us.

So does this mean he is a much better player at City than he would have been for us, according to some of the lunatics on here, thats exactly what they are saying.

Beyond the pale.

When are people going to realise that a players transfer fee and his wages have very little to do with his actual quality.

I dont know how much City used on Barry, but Rafa valued him around £10M or something along those lines, he`s pobably doubles his salary as well at City compared to us.

So does this mean he is a much better player at City than he would have been for us, according to some of the lunatics on here, thats exactly what they are saying.

Beyond the pale.

"When are people going to realise that a players transfer fee and his wages have very little to do with his actual quality."

How do you explain then that there is over a 90% correlation over the last 20 years in English football between wage rank & final finishing position?

Stu, you keep talking about last season mate, what about the here and now? Last season means absolutely fuck all right now. We're 8th in the league with the potential to be 10 points behind on Sunday evening and we are in an extremely precarious position in the CL.

I agree, and have been saying for the last few days, that it's still early and there is time to recover from this position but that doesn't mean that people shouldn't be concerned at such a poor start.

He's proven that he can get us challenging for the title and doing well in the CL; right now we're doing neither, hence the flack he's getting.

As for the bit in bold, that's extremely misleading. He had £40M to spend in the summer and he spent it the way he wished to.

How do you know? All the indications are that the wanted at least one other player in. I've only heard Purslow say that he got who he wanted.

"When are people going to realise that a players transfer fee and his wages have very little to do with his actual quality."

How do you explain then that there is over a 90% correlation over the last 20 years in English football between wage rank & final finishing position?

he he. This one I want to see.

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

You're up code.

Well, it's not all about money. It's about buying the right players, not the most expensive players. It's about melding them into a coherent unit that can deliver more than the sum of its parts. It's about organising them well, and sending them out motivated, determined, and confident.

Benitez is certainly not doing any of that at the moment.

The facts would suggest otherwise:

Some Rafa Facts | The Tomkins Times | Paul Tomkins' blog about Liverpool Football Club (LFC)

Everton and Fulham would be winning the league if it was all about well organised and motivated teams.

We lost last night to a team that spent £65m over the summer on new players and has dominated their domestic league for the past 6 seasons.

And the potential to be 4 points behind too, if we're going to be fair. I think looking at our start is a bit short-term if I'm honest. If people were expecting a title-challenge then I think they were always going to be dissapointed. I expect he'll finish in the top three. If he doesn't then I'll be dissapointed with our performance, and I'll be dissapointed with an early exit from Europe too. It won't be the end of the world though.

I'm talking about last season because that's the last complete season we had and it was as good a performance as the club has had in years. Come this summer I'll look at it again and see where we go from there. There's no miracle worker waiting in the wings to push United and Chelsea aside and stride to the title on very little tranfer funds; I think that's the point we, as a body of fans, need to come to understand.

You were saying last season as well but we proved we were good enough. The other teams are no stronger this season than they were last, IMO, which means we had a great chance in the summer to kick on and go that further step.

Losing Alonso was a blow, but that was Rafa's fault anyway (been done to death) and he's obviously got a massive amount of faith in Lucas. He chose to replace Alonso with somone who wouldn't play until November; i'm not going to blame these defeats on Lucas but it's clear he isn't as good as Rafa thinks and this whole Alonso/Lucas/Aquilani saga has had a big impact.

Rafa was brought in because he had a track record of overhauling other teams with bigger budgets.

Beyond the pale.

Have you had a bang on the head ??

I swear to god that is the most stupid thing i have ever, ever heard.

And i am married .

To a woman.

Who says very stupid things .

A lot.

But compared to you , she is very very bright.

Congratulations , you have cheered me up , dickhead.